FORUMS: list search recent posts

IO shopping, still a good choice?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
IO shopping, still a good choice?
on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:56:14 pm

We've had the original IO here for several years, mostly happy with it, and are about to start the procurement process to get new final cut workstations on the latest mac pro towers, twin cinema displays, a 2Tb RAID... you know, a typical "daily driver":-) Anyhow, I was wondering if the IO base model we have now has kept up, or is there a better model AJA makes, that would keep us just as happy with as much or more connectivity possibilities? And maybe cheaper?:-)

We'll be feeding it SD composite and component betacam in and out from/to a Grass switcher as well as mostly SD SDI and HD SDI to and from DVCPro 25 and DVC Pro HD decks. This is for a dedicated edit room, never for any mobile work. We mostly make training videos and VNRs as well as spots and public affairs programming, and we'll dabble in some HD bluray work when the new toys arrive.

Our engineer likes the idea of the IO being its own outside box, apart from the mac tower; he's not a fan of systems based on a card in the tower like a Kona or whatever. Don't ask me why. So, which AJA product is the best fit, considering?

Return to posts index

Russell Weston
Re: IO shopping, still a good choice?
on Oct 20, 2009 at 10:53:23 pm

If you are buying new MAC's forget AJA. Their drivers do not work with FCS3. Upon release we were told "soon" and three weeks ago i was told two weeks. We are still no closer to drivers and the information pipe is dead. Plenty of other options to choose from that do in-fact work with the new system. We have given up on AJA in our post facility and moved on...happily!

Russell Weston
Weston Productions
westprod@gci.net
http://westonproductions.tv

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 20, 2009 at 11:25:32 pm

Wow, Russel. That was a little over modulated.

What he's saying is that the ioHD drivers aren't released for FCS3 quite yet. It has been proven that they are coming as you can read this post:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/150/860248

The ioHD is a great tool, but if you need it right now today, you will have to stick with FCS2 until an update is released for FCS3. If you're buying today, I'd recommend the Kona 3 or LHi. The LHi has different qualifications than the kona 3, but does everything up to 3G Hdsdi. The kona3 does 2k and dual link 1080. Rest assured if you can wait, the ioHD will get updated for FCS3 and it's not a dead product.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:20:05 am

Well the way it goes, this could take anywhere between three months and over a year to happen, problem is I need to write a spec today for hardware that doesn't have drivers yet. I'm pretty sure the drivers will be written by the time the stuff is here, but reducing unknowns is always good. Of the "original flavor" rack mount IO, the IO HD, the IO LHi, which is the best fit, assuming the drivers are going to get written?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 21, 2009 at 10:27:32 am

[Mark Suszko] " Of the "original flavor" rack mount IO, the IO HD, the IO LHi, which is the best fit, assuming the drivers are going to get written?"

good response Mark.

and a good assumption that drivers will be written. Even Aja's president has posted on this forum about the drivers <http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/150/860248>

Your usage would depend on your needs, I am currently working with an IoXpress which is designed for immediate playout from the vast number of tapeless cameras on the market without trouble.
I am working with FCS3 and Snow Leopard due to the size and my current playback needs, and the size of this unit made since for my current projects.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:52:11 pm

What Gary says, and don't consider the original io. It is SD only.

So, since you probably are going to move to HD soon, I'd recommend a box that has upconversion capabilities so you will be able to bring in legacy footage if need be. The ioHD or Kona Lhi will suit those needs. The ioExpress is a totally awesome machine, but it has no conversion capabilties. Just something to keep in mind as you move to HD. Also, the ioExpress is digital in only. No analog in since you said you need composite.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]