FORUMS: list search recent posts

Buy Io HD or New MacBook Pro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amos Prync
Buy Io HD or New MacBook Pro
on Oct 12, 2009 at 9:16:41 pm

Yes... I know... you'll probably tell me both! ;)
But times requires though decisions ;)
I currently have a MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / Memory 3 GB Mhz DDR2 SDRAM / Mac Os 10.5.8
So far it's been great and I handle all of my projects pretty well.
Lately I'm dealing more and more with productions who are using the AG-HMC150 with AVCHD codec, P2, etc and delivering to ALL kinds of media, from BETA decks, to DV, HDV, web and everything else.
I work a lot in the field also.
I was wondering if it will really speed up my work flow to buy an AJA Io HD.
I've been doing a lot of reading and the main thing seems to be that it liberate your computer from processing the ProRes Codec, and basically handling it through hardware.
Since MOST of the footage that I'm dealing with now is being transcoded to ProRes, I was really tempted to buy the Io HD so it will give me more speed while editing, and of course, ALL the outputs to BETA and more.
My question is: IS IT REALLY WOTH IT?
Is anyone is doing similar stuff with similar equipment?
Thank you so much!
Regards,

Amos Prync |::| http://www.amosprync.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Buy Io HD or New MacBook Pro
on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:26:15 am

Amos,
this is my advice to you. AJA has opened up a new building in Grass Valley California. If you simply decide to NOT buy an AJA I/O HD, or a new MAC Book Pro, you can open up a sandwich shop in Grass Valley, and make lunch for everyone at AJA, and make a FORTUNE ! AJA will love you, and you won't have to compete with everyone out there, doing the same thing, making all these silly videos. Besides, that AJA I/O HD and "new" Mac Book Pro will be obsolete in 3 years, but that shiny new meat slicer, and fridge for all the soda and beer bottles will STILL be making you money in 3 years.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ken Zukin
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:25:39 pm

I can only imagine your delight realizing that no less than Bob Zelin, Mac-Guru, has answered your question, and then your horror to realize that he's just having some fun at your expense and hasn't given you an answer!! Oh well, it WAS funny.

I think the best answer is whether or not the piece of gear you are contemplating will make money for you. Will it pay for itself? How long? Does it enable you to tackle projects you couldn't have in the past? Does it give you an edge over the competition?

You might consider a used IO-HD if you can find one too. Pretty bullet-proof -- no moving parts.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Oct 13, 2009 at 7:28:55 pm

I'd purchase a Ki Pro

Jeff

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Oct 14, 2009 at 10:36:06 am

[Jeff Mack] "I'd purchase a Ki Pro "

While a good idea, there is no capability to have device control for proper layoff to tape with the KiPro at this time.

The KiPro is not intended to replace the IoHD.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Oct 14, 2009 at 2:27:47 pm

Sure, I realize that the the OP said his main concern was the time to transcode to Pro Res was his main issue, especially to be used in the field. Just a thught.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Amos Prync
on Oct 14, 2009 at 3:48:29 pm

Yeah... Bob's answer got me rolling on the floor... That's why I "Kudo's" his answer. It was pure poetry!

I was wondering if somebody was having the same case-scenario that I have.
I'm not worry about how long will this solution serve me. I believe everybody knows that nothing lasts more than 3 to 4 years in our industry anymore.
Its just that times are hard and you want to be able to get through this the best possible way.
I'd like to get out there and buy a turnkey solution system, I wish I could hire Bob to solve this for me, but it's not an option right now.
So my question is: Should I just continue using my "Frankenstein" method, or will the AJA Io HD will help me to process things faster.
I know the manufacturer will tell me it will, but I want to see if somebody has the same scenario and through me some good advice.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 14, 2009 at 6:36:13 pm

Amos,

The one issue would be that the IoHD does not transcode media from one format to ProRes, you would have to be playing out the P2 and AVCHD files from a deck or a camera into the IoHD to get ProRes files into your system. But mostly you will be losing the TC from the clips so if you needed to "recapture" any footage you are going to have a nightmare on your hands. (the Ki would have the same issue, the beauty of it is that it would tie up a computer. but the Ki needs to be thought of as a Deck, it replaces a HDCAM deck not a IoHD or Kona3.

IF you are receiving these files from clients my recommendation would be to put this money into a stand-along transcoding system. Just drop the files into compressor and let it spit out the ProRes conversions, TC in tact, while you are doing other things on your editing system.

In the field and capturing the tapes the IoHD would be the ticket.

Return to posts index

Amos Prync
on Oct 15, 2009 at 1:13:05 am

Good call! Great advice and education! Thank You!

Now my only question is: Once I have the ProRes footage in my MACBOOK PRO, will the AJA Io HD take care of handling the codec and let my MACBOOK PRO fly?
Or is it just an illusion?
I know the AJA Io HD does all those wonders with down/up conversions, handling the Beta Deck, etc, but will it accelerate my editing?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 15, 2009 at 4:42:01 am

[Amos Prync] "AJA Io HD take care of handling the codec and let my MACBOOK PRO fly"

No, there is no off-loading of the codec, once it is captured it is all FCP and the MBP, the IoHD is a simple (but everything available) video out box. No acceleration at all. Don't believe there is anything that will accelerate FCP.

Return to posts index

Amos Prync
on Oct 15, 2009 at 4:49:01 am

Thank you SO MUCH for clarifying!!
Well... now gotta make a decision ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]