FORUMS: list search recent posts

IoLA Stops at 30 Minutes?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Alexander
IoLA Stops at 30 Minutes?
on Sep 18, 2009 at 11:14:45 pm

My IoLA is stopping my recordings at 30:00 Minutes using VTR Xchange.

It appears that the recording is still rolling (no error dialogue in VTR Xchange) but the on-screen preview freezes on the last frame of recorded video.

I'm new to IoLA but I know the IoHD like the back of my hand. I record with the IoHD quite frequently for hours and hours on end.

My IoLA is set to record Component SMPTE DVCPro50 on an external drive.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

--
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: IoLA Stops at 30 Minutes?
on Sep 19, 2009 at 2:01:28 pm

[Brian Alexander] "I'm new to IoLA but I know the IoHD like the back of my hand. I record with the IoHD quite frequently for hours and hours on end."

Then why not use the IoHD for the same task?

The IoLA is a product that is not being produced any longer (EOL'd in 2007) and its feature set was rolled into the IoHD. There has not been a driver update since april 06 so using it with FCP or software released after that date is dicey at best.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
Chicago, IL

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Sep 19, 2009 at 4:50:37 pm

[gary adcock] "Then why not use the IoHD for the same task? "

I am using this product in the place of DVCAM decks for Corporate Events. I'm basically handing over files on a hard drive instead of tapes to the clients. Many of the clients are still PC based and only working with SD material so I need DV files and not ProRes. Additionaly, I'm looking at building 30 to 50 systems that are based on a MacBook Pro and the IoLA. The IoHD will only be used when we're shooting HD.

[gary adcock] "There has not been a driver update since april 06 so using it with FCP or software released after that date is dicey at best. "

AJA support still seems up to date despite the lack of software updates. I've had lengthy discussions with many of the techs and I had no red flags thrown up.

Please note: I do not use Final Cut with these products. These systems are simply field recording kits or DVA Systems (digital video acquisition).

Updates

The recordings that stop at 30 min. are not limited to VTR Xchange. I'm getting the same error using Record Pro (DT Video Labs).

Internal/External drives do not seem to make a difference, I've received the same error regardless of drive setup.

I have not tried QuickTime Pro because I can't control the Codec. "Device Native" is uncompressed and I'm trying to use DV NTSC or DVCPro50.

Thanks for your input Gary.

--
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 19, 2009 at 8:53:15 pm

[Brian Alexander] "AJA support still seems up to date despite the lack of software updates. I've had lengthy discussions with many of the techs and I had no red flags thrown up. "

they are kinda funny like that, I was just pointing out that resources for future development of the SD only parts of the product line are limited.

"I am using this product in the place of DVCAM decks for Corporate Events."
Got that too, Freeman is pretty big in that field and I speak all over the world. Which city?

"Additionaly, I'm looking at building 30 to 50 systems that are based on a MacBook Pro and the IoLA. The IoHD will only be used when we're shooting HD. "

The IoHD is not limited to capturing only as ProRes in SD, the unit can also capture as DV25, DV50 and SD as Uncompressed 8bit if your drives are fast enough. Its on page 19 of the IoHD manual found here http://www.aja.com/pdf/support/AJA_IoHD_manual.pdf

Also might look at the new IoXpress for that many systems, if you can work over SDI it might be an option.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Sep 19, 2009 at 10:45:09 pm

[gary adcock] "Freeman is pretty big in that field and I speak all over the world. Which city?"

I'm in the National Operations Center in Dallas but we have AV branches in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Anaheim, Orlando, DC, and Vegas.

Where do you speak? What topics do you cover?

[gary adcock] "The IoHD is not limited to capturing only as ProRes in SD, the unit can also capture as DV25, DV50 and SD as Uncompressed 8bit if your drives are fast enough."

I've done months of testing and have not found too many codecs besides ProRes that work. Looks like I've skipped over the DV family of codecs in my tests. I'll give it a shot here after I get this 30 minute problem worked out.

[gary adcock] "Also might look at the new IoXpress"

This was not shipping when I had to make a decision on a product for field acquisition. The IoExpress does look attractive but I most of the SD gear used today is Component based. Additionally, I would have to get SDI/audio embedders as the audio source on show site comes from audio consoles w/xlr connectors.

BTW, the 30 minute issue seems to be intermittent which is just adding to the confusion. I thought it may be a driver conflict so I've uninstalled the IoHD software. First run after the uninstall worked so I thought I found the issue but 2nd test proved this is not the case.

--
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 20, 2009 at 2:22:26 pm

[Brian Alexander] ". I thought it may be a driver conflict so I've uninstalled the IoHD software. First run after the uninstall worked so I thought I found the issue but 2nd test proved this is not the case. "

Make sure that you uninstall the software using the AJA uninstaller, and remember to reflash the firmware on each device - the IoHD drivers will conflict with the older hardware.

"This was not shipping when I had to make a decision on a product for field acquisition. "
Are you sure you can get that many IoLA's? I do not think Aja is still building units, but I am not in touch with that group much any more.

[Brian Alexander] "Where do you speak? What topics do you cover? "

Ah... I kinda speak everywhere.

I am currently Chair of the NAB's DP conference, at various times I have been also Tech Chair for NAB's Digital Facilities, HD Post Production, also at the Post Production World Conference in NYC, Government Video Expo and many smaller shows. I just completed the North American KiPro Tour dates for AJA last month. I have also been asked to do training and speaking for I/A 600 (the camera guild) on Tapeless workflow and production techniques.

I have had speaker slots at more HDExpos, DV Expos, Macworld Expos than I can remember to count, in addition to International Speaking Events for AJA Video, Apple, Sony, Nat Geo, Panasonic, the Government Information Office in Taiwan, and the Arab Media Conference in Dubai.

I speak mostly on Film and digital Technologies focusing on the future of HD in Production and Post.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Chicago, IL

Return to posts index

Brian Alexander
on Sep 21, 2009 at 5:33:01 am

[gary adcock] "Make sure that you uninstall the software using the AJA uninstaller"

Yep, did that.

[gary adcock] " remember to reflash the firmware on each device - the IoHD drivers will conflict with the older hardware"

I completely uninstalled the IoHD drivers/software with the IoHD uninstaller don't think I tried re-flashing the IoLA afterwards. Do you think its possible to run both of these devices on the same system?

[gary adcock] "Are you sure you can get that many IoLA's?"

Yes. Not sure they would all come directly from AJA but there's a load of inventory I bet distributors would be happy to get rid of.

[gary adcock] "I am currently Chair of the NAB's DP conference"

Freeman does NAB, what a coincidence. Sounds like you do lot's for this industry. I hope to one day be as large of a contributor as you although our particular fields slightly differ.

I was a high end projectionist/video engineer before my gig with Freeman. Check this out when you get a chance (some of my projection work): http://www.brianalexanderphotography.com/Events/2006-MTV-Video-Music-Awards...

[gary adcock] "I just completed the North American KiPro Tour dates for AJA last month."

I missed you by one day (I was taking a much needed vacation). I would really love to purchase a load of Ki Pros to get my tapeless workflow running but it's too much work for trying to hand a drive to the client - too much file transferring on show site.

[gary adcock] "I speak mostly on Film and digital Technologies focusing on the future of HD in Production and Post."

I'm working on developing a tapeless future for live video conferences. I hope we cross paths sometime.

I plan on getting these little issues worked out with AJA tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks Gary.

--
Brian Alexander
Sr Video Engineer
Freeman AVS

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]