FORUMS: list search recent posts

Big Endian versus Little Endian

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Carrier
Big Endian versus Little Endian
on Sep 17, 2009 at 6:00:03 pm

Our museum recently purchased an AJA Io HD unit for use in digitizing our analog tape archive.

I wanted to test and compare the ProRes 422 encoding using Final Cut Pro 6 and AJA's VTR Xchange 4. While I implcitly trust the ingest capabilities of FCP6, I wasn't sure I'd get the same files with VTR Xchange 4.

The reason for this testing is we've got hundreds of tapes that will need digitizing, and I'd rather our museum volunteers (who are not Final Cut users) use the much more simple VTR app for ingest.

Getting to the point, video files recorded with FCP6 and VTR Xchange appear identical on the FCP scopes. That's encouraging for me. But, I noticed in Finder the audio channels are listed with different Endianness.

VTR Xchange uses Big Endian, while my FCP ProRes 422 files are Little Endian. Does this matter? Are there any problems we'll run into down the road if we archive Big Endian files, rather than FCP Little Endian?

Thanks for your help,

Adam Carrier
Audiovisual Technician II
acarrier{at}marinersmuseum{dot}org
The Mariners’ Museum
http://www.MarinersMuseum.org

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Big Endian versus Little Endian
on Sep 18, 2009 at 12:35:05 pm

No huge difference. You can set the option in VTR Exchange. As far as video goes, FCP and VTR Exchange should be exactly identical.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]