FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA io express: Express 34 card?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roland Blaser
AJA io express: Express 34 card?
on Aug 8, 2009 at 11:21:19 am

After Apple decided to replace the express 34 card slot for their new 15 and 13 inch MacBook Pros I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to bring the "io express" with a PCI only into the market. Why not like ioHD: Firewire 800? The 17 inch is not the portable solution I'm looking for. Prefer the smaller ones.
However, maybe AJA does already a re-design before they bring it into market. By the way: Facing the close relationship between Apple and AJA, it's rather strange that Apple trashes the express34 card exactly when AJA is about to introduce the io express with PCI...
Or did I get anything wrong?

Roland

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: AJA io express: Express 34 card?
on Aug 8, 2009 at 4:37:00 pm

The close relationship is probably one way. Apple gives AJA good lead time on things they think are important for AJA to know. I don't think AJA has much sway in give Apple advise or recommendation.

Apple operates on a need to know bases and they do all the deciding on who needs to know and when.

I don't questions Apple's move away from the Express34 slot, if most are not using it it should be sacrificed, but making it a SD slot is less than pro, that is a small $20 adapter, what a Pro notebook needs is another I/O port, my recommendation would have been (2) eSata ports to support up to 5 drives each. Now that would be Pro. With the eSata ports you have real way of using things like the IoHD, as it stands you really cannot use 15" for video capture work, since there is only one FW port.

But you do have option, just not the options you like.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 8, 2009 at 7:35:18 pm

the decision was made as a "complement" product to the AJA Ki Pro.
The drive in the AJA KiPro is FW800 - you pop it off, and put it on the FW800 buss on your (now 17") Mac Book Pro. Well, there is no more port for anything else, so AJA wisely made a slot34 adaptor card (included with the I/O Express) so you can have a FW800 drive (from the KiPro), and an I/O Product running correctly, without conflict on a MAC laptop.

So - on your 15" Mac Book Pro - how do you intend to edit with ANY PRODUCT from ANY company, with no slot 34 adaptor, and only one FW buss. In the old days, with 2 FW devices, you HAD to put a slot 34 FW card in your laptop anyway.

The I/O Express is not a "cheap" way to get around buying a real I/O product. It's a wise decision to use the Express 34 slot. AJA is your friend, and they look out for you. Apple is not. You aint' gonna be doing professional editing on a 15" Mac Book Pro with products from AVID, Matrox, MOTU or anyone else, either. Not unless you are crazy enough to use your internal drive as your media storage.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Roland Blaser
on Aug 9, 2009 at 11:35:06 am

Hi Bob!

I agree. Fortunately, I still have one of the 1st generation unibody 15 inch MacBook Pro that offers an Express card 34 slot. In other words: For time being I could use this one for the upcoming AJA io express. I perfectly know that AJA offers a choice of fine products - I own the ioHD and I'm happy so far. However, the io express would be an easy alternative for transferring reports and footage between my TV station's archive and my personal editing suite (FCP running on an 8-core MacPro). As much as I like the ioHD: I'm looking forward for something smaller for the "road work". Just need SD/SDI HD in/out in co-operatiion with ProRes. Looks like that's exactly where the io express jumps in.
And yes: I would consider AJA KI Pro for this job, too. Just hoping that AJA gets the driver from Sony for their SxS cards as I own Sony's XDCAM EX camcorder with some SxS cards...

Regards, Roland

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 10, 2009 at 11:10:49 pm

Hi Roland,
please remember, the I/O Express will NOT up or downconvert SD-SDI to HD-SDI, or HD-SDI to SD-SDI.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

TJ McGinnis
internal vs external storage
on Feb 10, 2010 at 6:43:17 am

Bob,

I've read several of your posts and this will probably be a ridiculous question to you but I would appreciate your knowledge on the subject. I travel and edit on a Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHZ processor, 4GB ram. I was looking to upgrade the stock internal 140GB hard drive to a 7200 rpm 500GB internal drive, with hopes that I wouldn't have to lug around my external drive. Therefore just using the internal drive to edit, while on a plane etc. I will be editing 720 HD footage. Again I am not as versed in all the computer speed issues, but can you inform me why it's better to store media on an external drive as opposed to an internal? Thanks.
TJ

Return to posts index

Kris A. Wotipka
on Apr 1, 2010 at 3:38:44 pm

On a side note, as I sit here and stare at the dock connector for the Ki Stor drive, it looks awfully like a Sata data/power connection. Anyone brave enough to give it a try?

kw

kris@wotipka.com
Image maker

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]