FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA IO capture software fault

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
C. Park Seward
AJA IO capture software fault
on Jul 21, 2009 at 6:34:10 pm

Hi,

I've been talking to AJA for two weeks and they have been great in sending me two different hardware boxes but the problem persists and they don't know what to do.

When using their VTR Xchange, I cannot capture with video and audio from their box. Doesn't matter what codec I use (even uncompressed). If I turn off audio, it works. If I use the internal MacBook Pro mic, it works. But when I select the ProIO audio, the VU meters freeze and I can't capture. I actually do get a 4k file that doesn't contain any movie files and I never get the "Capturing Now" message.

When using FCP, I can't capture anything. I either get a blank capture window or video in a larger, incorrect window that covers up the capture window. It does not record.

Did all the common things like trash all prefs, re-loading software, did a complete removal and reload of FCP and the OS.

FCP 6.0.6, OS 10.5.7, QT 7.6.2. Good FW cable, nothing else plugged into the Mac, 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo.

I see these comments in the system file:

Jul 20 16:28:36 C-Park-Sewards-PowerBook-G4-15-3 [0x0-0x16016].com.diaquest.AjaVtrXchange[136]: HPDevice::DoStartIOProc: unknown IOProc

Jul 20 16:28:58 C-Park-Sewards-PowerBook-G4-15-3 [0x0-0x16016].com.diaquest.AjaVtrXchange[136]: HPPlugIn::StreamGetProperty: unknown stream

Jul 20 16:28:58 C-Park-Sewards-PowerBook-G4-15-3 [0x0-0x16016].com.diaquest.AjaVtrXchange[136]: PlugIn::Teardown: couldn't tell the HAL about a dead device, Error: 561214578

Jul 20 16:30:19 C-Park-Sewards-PowerBook-G4-15-3 [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.FinalCutPro[137]: HPDevice::DoStartIOProc: unknown IOProc

Jul 20 16:30:33 C-Park-Sewards-PowerBook-G4-15-3 [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.FinalCutPro[137]: HPPlugIn::StreamGetProperty: unknown stream
Jul 20 16:30:33 C-Park-Sewards-PowerBook-G4-15-3 [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.FinalCutPro[137]: PlugIn::Teardown: couldn't tell the HAL about a dead device, Error: 561214578

Any hints???

Thanks!

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA IO capture software fault
on Jul 21, 2009 at 7:18:56 pm

Is it really a Powerbook g4?

If you have VTR Exchange and FCPs Capture window open at the same time, you can damage some prefs. See here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/150/859607

Also, what format are you capturing and what drives are you using?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 21, 2009 at 7:34:09 pm

Hi Jeremy,

I am using a 2.2 Gig MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo with 2 GB RAM. The name must have come over when I migrated from my old PowerBook two years ago.

I don't believe I had both FCP and Xchange opened at the same time since I thought that wold conflict but I will delete all prefs in FCP, AJA and QT just to be sure.

I have tried many different AJA formats from uncompressed to DV, all in SD. I am recording to my internal now and will get an ExpressCard to FW 800 if I can get this to work. Nothing but the IO is connected to the FW bus. I have tried the IO LA and the large IO on two different computers. The other is that PowerBook G4 with 10.4.11. Same results Feeding color bars from a Grass sync generator.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 21, 2009 at 8:40:13 pm

[C. Park Seward] "I am recording to my internal now and will get an ExpressCard to FW 800 if I can get this to work."

Uncompressed (or most anything) is not going to work to an internal drive. You need an external drive.

Also, you have set up the preferences to capture a Quicktime movie and not image sequences, correct?

Is this an io or ioHD?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 21, 2009 at 9:25:25 pm

Yes, I know I need an external. But if I can't capture, it doesn't much matter!

My MBP does have a FW 800 but I believe it is on the same bus as the FW 400 and so I can't use an external when using the AJA IO.

Yes, movie. If you remember from my original post, I said I can capture video in Xchange if I don't include the audio from the IO.

It is the large rack mount IO and I also have the IO LA analog box. AJA has sent me the large IO and another IO LA. Same results on all hardware boxes. Yes, I am using the correct software for each box. I use the AJA uninstall before loading different software. I also did en erase and restore through Time Machine and did a combo reinstall of the OS.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 21, 2009 at 10:50:01 pm

Use a USB2 drive to test the capture. Capture as DVCPro50, this is a good middle of the road codec and bitrate. I'm not recommending the use of USB drive other than to test. The drive does need to be a 7200 RPM drive. There are a lot of FW400/800 drives that also have USB ports.

I know AJA has 1st rate customer service but I'm surprised that they are doing this much when you are not running a system that is up to spec. The use of external drives on another channel is spec, not a suggestion.
I have no idea how you can capture SD Uncompressed to an internal HD.

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 21, 2009 at 11:22:25 pm

Thanks for your note but it is not the drive. AJA was not concerned when I was using the internal for testing.

I did hook a OWC 7200 RPM drive via USB and no change. It performed exactly as the internal with DV and DVCPRO50.

If the audio device is set for ProIO, it will not capture with VTR Xchange. If I set the audio device for built-in microphone or built-in input, it works. If it is set for ProIO and I turn off the audio, it captures. It will not capture with audio set for ProIO.

I was dropping frames on the uncompressed test. It was only to test the capture of audio and video. It did not matter if I lost frames on this type of test.

With FCP, it will not capture no matter the audio settings.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:54:11 pm

[C. Park Seward] " But if I can't capture, it doesn't much matter! "

Yes, but Uncompressed it not going to work on your internal, it's that simple. DV MIGHT work, might.

[C. Park Seward] "My MBP does have a FW 800 but I believe it is on the same bus as the FW 400 and so I can't use an external when using the AJA IO. "

You need a fw or eSATA Express 34 card.

[C. Park Seward] " I also did en erase and restore through Time Machine "

Ouch. You should start over and completely rebuild your system.

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:11:49 pm

Don't focus on the drive. It's NOT the drive. I know uncompressed won't work on the internal. That was just to test different codecs.

Time Machine had all my software and worked well. My computer is certainly faster after the restore. As said before, I did a re-install of the OS from the combo 10.5.7 Why do you say "Ouch"?

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:34:58 pm

[C. Park Seward] "Why do you say "Ouch"? "

Time Machine has wreaked havoc on systems with FCP (not all systems, just some). Also, since you migrated from a PPC machine, I'd just start all over and make sure you've get eveything running intel and not something running Rosetta. It's just the best practice. Back up your material to another drive using SuperDuper!. Then, start from scratch and reinstall Leopard, then update it to the latest version. Then reintall your FCP and io Drivers, then VTR Exchnage. Test and see if it works, if it does, then start reinstalling other software and then dragging all of your data (not appications) from your Super DUper clone.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:46:45 pm

Thanks, Jeremy.

I did remove FCP totally before the erase and restore and installed it after re-installing 10.5.7.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:55:03 pm

[C. Park Seward] "I did remove FCP totally before the erase and restore and installed it after re-installing 10.5.7. "

No no no. I am not talking about removing and reinstalling. I am talking about a total erase and install, and then reinstall everything. Don't restore, don't time machine, rebuild your machine.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:26:01 pm

Yes, but Uncompressed it not going to work on your internal, it's that simple. DV MIGHT work, might.

The uncompressd was just as a test to see if the audio would work. It was never meant to actually use in a project. My internal drive has a write of 22.7 MB/s. More then enough for DV. It DOES work. Does.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 22, 2009 at 1:09:42 am

Jul 20 16:30:33 C-Park-Sewards-PowerBook-G4-15-3 [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.FinalCutPro[137]: HPPlugIn::StreamGetProperty: unknown stream

Jul 20 16:30:33 C-Park-Sewards-PowerBook-G4-15-3 [0x0-0x17017].com.apple.FinalCutPro[137]: PlugIn::Teardown: couldn't tell the HAL about a dead device, Error: 561214578 "

OK
I think your issue is a software conflict, that " HPPlugin" is blocking the IO, and that plugin is also causing a VTR and FCP to not access the audio video stream correctly.

create a NEW USER on your computer and try to capture with VTR Exchange again, my guess is when you migrated your machine some of the files that should have been left behind we not, and creating a new user will help you debug your setup.

What HP product did you have a scanner / printer combo or do you have and HP display w/ a fw connection on it?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 22, 2009 at 1:16:27 am

Thanks, Gary.

I have deleted all the HP printer and such in the computer. I did have an old laser printed once hooked up via USB and an adapter to go to parallel interface but haven't used that in a few years.

Yes, I do think this is a software conflict. I did make a new user before deleting all the HP stuff and saw no change but will try that again.

I don't have anything HP connected.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:13:13 am

Still stumped.

Can't find the mysterious "HPplugin". Is it really something from HP? Or something else. I think I have deleted all the HP files.

From the system log when I try to use the AJA IO.:

Jul 21 18:39:33 ParkMBP [0x0-0xc00c].com.apple.systemuiserver[141]: HPPlugIn::StreamGetProperty: unknown stream
Jul 21 18:39:33 ParkMBP [0x0-0xc00c].com.apple.systemuiserver[141]: PlugIn::Teardown: couldn't tell the HAL about a dead device, Error: 561214578
Jul 21 18:39:33 ParkMBP [0x0-0xc00c].com.apple.systemuiserver[141]: HPPlugIn::StreamGetProperty: unknown stream

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:40:53 am

I do not know the answer, but this seems to be a very strange problem I thought I let you know what I found when I googled HPPlugin:

http://forum.skype.com/lofiversion/index.php/t64011.html

This threat is skype related, but curiously in his crash log it list a HPPlugin too..

Have you set both audio in AND out to internal via the system pref? This is really the only thing I can think of as it seems that the HPPplugin is not Hewlet Packard related.

Hope I'm not wasting your time.

Cheers
Carsten

Carsten

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 22, 2009 at 3:34:43 pm

Thanks Carsten. Interesting bit you've found.

I will delete Skype and see if that has anything to do with the problem.

Yes, I have set the audio to internal and can get the VTR Xchange to work that way. It's when I try to use the audio from the IO box that doesn't work.

Yes, I don't think the "HPplugin" is from Hewlett Packard.

Good tips.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 22, 2009 at 4:37:03 pm

Deleted Skype. No change.

Here is a screen shot of the audio control panel in Xchange. Notice the meters. There is no sound going to the box, nothing is even plugged in.

Also, I can't change the sample rate or bit depth. I only get that one selection as shown. If I change to internal mic, I can the choose from nine selections.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:14:01 pm

Park,

I think you can safely save this is a software thing, several people have told you to get back to ground zero, meaning a fresh install of the OS and then install FCP and AJA all to a clean HD. If you have a clean drive laying around or one you can reformat you can swap out the system drive and go from there, then if that solves the problem you know what you need to do, if it doesn't you still have your original OS drive intact.

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 22, 2009 at 5:23:11 pm

Yes, I will try a fresh install. Clearing out a disk now to use with SuperDuper.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

C. Park Seward
on Jul 22, 2009 at 11:48:00 pm

Yes. Total erase and install works. Thanks for the input.

I was delaying the refresh because I wanted to locate the problem. That may have been helpful in the future and to others that came across this strange problem.

Best,
Park

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]