FORUMS: list search recent posts

ioHD input from DVD via HDMI

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Dow
ioHD input from DVD via HDMI
on Jul 16, 2009 at 9:11:18 pm

I want to import footage into FCP using an ioHD and a DVD player with HDMI output. I have the DVD player connected to the ioHD, with the HDMI input selected. The ioHD control panel is telling me that the HDMI input is not detecting video. It flashes between 1080i29.97 and no video. Any suggestions as to what I should do?

JPD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: ioHD input from DVD via HDMI
on Jul 16, 2009 at 9:43:14 pm

Hit play?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 16, 2009 at 11:17:17 pm

[James Dow] "Any suggestions as to what I should do? "

Stop.

you have tried to copy a DVD and the HDCP security is blocking the capture over the HDMI port.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Jul 17, 2009 at 12:25:22 pm

I did push play.
In regards to the security protection, the DVD that I want to import contained segments from TV newscasts and a clip from the Daily Show. It was produced for internal corporate use, and no encryption was used on the DVD master. Does this still sound like the HDCP security blocking?

Thanks,
io Newbie

JPD

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Jul 17, 2009 at 12:30:24 pm

Also just trying capturing a DVD that I produced, with no encryption, and it's doing the same thing. Bad HDMI cable?

JPD

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 17, 2009 at 12:41:04 pm

[James Dow] "Also just trying capturing a DVD that I produced, with no encryption, and it's doing the same thing. "

you are incorrectly assuming that the encryption is on the disc

It is the 2 devices talking to each other over HDMI.

you can try changing the cable, but I doubt it will solve the issue.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Jul 17, 2009 at 2:08:38 pm

So if it's the 2 devices talking to each other via HDMI, with this particular deck, will I be able to import anything from DVD? What's my workaround?

Thanks for your time.

JPD

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 17, 2009 at 3:17:11 pm

[James Dow] "What's my workaround? "

Try analog.

Return to posts index

James Dow
on Jul 17, 2009 at 6:44:05 pm

Yeah, that was next on my list if I couldn't get the HDMI to work.

JPD

Return to posts index

todd reid
on Jul 28, 2009 at 3:27:16 pm

going analog is going to be your only option.

I needed to get some (non-copyrighted) material off of a dvd, (for legit purposes), and ran into same thing.

Tech support at AJA taught me that it should NOT work ever, by design, to help control piracy. He said your only option was to go in component, which I did, and it worked perfectly. He told me its hardware built into the dvd players, as well as the encryption put on the discs themselves, therefore it doesn't work regardless of what kind of protection is on the disc, including none.

Todd Reid
Senior Editor
Digitized Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

Ged Yeates
on Aug 3, 2009 at 12:45:16 pm

Hello

Another workaround is to 'move sideways' so to speak and employ software such as 'MPEG Streamclip' which allows you to take video files directly from a DVD and output them to the codec of your choice (in this case I'm assuming you want Apple ProRes422).

If the DVD is commercial or copy protected this solution will not usually work but 'internally' produced DVD's or client supplied DVD's should work fine. It's a method I've used several times and saves all the interface headaches of HDMI and going analogue and is done transcodes than real time.

The video quality is of course limited by the encode quality of the DVD so it looks pretty similar to capturing through a video input (digital or analogue).

MPEG Stream Clip can be downloaded of the Web. There are other software alternatives available as well but I mention this one as I find it works hassle free for my own workflow needs.

Bye - Ged Yeates (Scotland).

Ged Yeates - Lighting Cameraman

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]