FORUMS: list search recent posts

3/4 VO 5800 and AJA IO

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Kinsman
3/4 VO 5800 and AJA IO
on Jul 9, 2009 at 8:08:42 am

I've got many tapes in 3/4 that we'd like to digitize and upload to the web for our website. The 3/4 is a VO 5800, and I also own a UVW1800, DSR 20 and a panasonic 1980 VHS deck. Can I pass the signal through any of these decks and into my IO (without using a separate TBC) and get a good signal. Can I dub to any of these decks to get a format the IO will see? (Currently I get a Video Present signal that flashes on and off in the AJA control panel) Do I need to use a black burst? There's currently no budget for any new equipment. Many thanks for your knowledge!
Kind Regards,
Chris

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 3/4 VO 5800 and AJA IO
on Jul 9, 2009 at 11:37:32 am

Your UVW1800 might clean that up a bit as it has a TBC.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 10, 2009 at 2:37:28 am

The UVW1800 will not act as a time base corrector for the Sony VO5800. The Sony VO5800 was a piece of S#$% even when it first came out. The VO5800 was a low end 3/4" VTR that was used by ad agencies to play back "hi quality" 3/4" tapes that were made with Sony BVU-800 VTR's that used external Sony TBC-800 time base correctors. As time went on, companies like Microtime made time base correctors for products like the VO5800 that provided external advanced sync, and external subcarrier (and DOC drop out compensation pulses) for the VO5800 - and you know what - it was still a piece of S#$% - and this is when it was brand new.

The VO5800 and VO5850 (and the 25 year old BVU800) were obsoleted by the VO9800 and VO9850 (and the equivalent BVU900, 920 and 950). And the VO9800 and VO9850 were also pieces of S#$% that could not hold a candle to the BVU950 series.

So what does all of this mean. It means that you have a 25 year old 3/4" VTR without a proper time base corrector, and now you want to take the composite video signal out of it (the horrible unstable hetrodyned output) and go into a modern piece of non linear editing gear. The I/O has a marginal frame sync input, but it is NO REPLACEMENT for an external FRAME SYNCHRONIZER that will grab the horrible video coming out of your old VTR's and LOCK IT UP and provide a stable sync signal that the I/O can use. And this applies to your other old horrible equipment as well. A good frame sync is a good investment for you. Going E/E thru a UVW-1800 is going to accomplish nothing for you. Believe me - I have done it.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Christopher Kinsman
on Jul 10, 2009 at 3:26:32 am

Hey Bob, thanks for input! I'll use this equipment appropriately - sounds like it might come in handy the next time I'm building a coral reef! I plugged in my old media 100 and it grabbed the signal right away. It's going to end up on the web anyway as legacy footage, so a little rolling and a few dropouts won't cause any heart attacks. I really appreciate your knowledge on this, and now know what decks to insist on the next time 3/4 inch rears it's ugly head. Thanks to all who posted!
Kind Regards,
Chris K.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]