FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA ioLA Audio out problems

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Sparks
AJA ioLA Audio out problems
on Jun 27, 2009 at 5:53:32 pm

I have an AJA ioLA that has bad audio. After about a year of use the AJA has lost the highs in the audio. All I can get out is mids & lows. Have I lost an amp or is there a setting I have missed?

Terry Sparks
Big Sky Video Productions Inc
tsparks@bigskyvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AJA ioLA Audio out problems
on Jun 27, 2009 at 11:58:04 pm

In my opinion, you have "lost an amp" or something (something like you blew out the tweeters in your speakers. The very fact that you are confused here give me the impression that your I/O LA is plugged right into your speakers. If you had a mixer on your system, you could simply raise the audio faders for another source (like a VTR, or CD player, or the output of your MAC) and see if you had hi frequency info coming out of these sources. But becuase you are at the mercy of listening thru the I/O (my assumption - I could be wrong) - you think that your system is screwed.

The odds of this being an AJA I/O problem is a million to one. If you had no audio, distorted or crackly audio, then you could blame the I/O. But no hi end - it's your speakers. You blew the tweeters. When you get new speakers, get a small mixer as well. They are cheap these days.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Terry Sparks
on Jun 28, 2009 at 8:39:14 pm

I do not have the AJA plugged into my speakers. It is plugged into a compressor/limiter/expander then to a EQ then to a sound board then to an amp before the speakers. To test my speakers, I removed all the above and plugged directly into a EON 10 self powered speaker. The signal is still Lows only with lots of pops and other noise.

Terry Sparks
Big Sky Video Productions Inc
tsparks@bigskyvideoproductions.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 29, 2009 at 12:48:21 am

Hi Terry -
you need to test your audio system (mixer/compressor/eq) with ANOTHER AUDIO SOURCE besides the I/O LA. Certainly you must have some VTR, some CD player, even the audio output of your MAC (play some itunes music) to confirm that the rest of your system is working properly, and you are not losing the hi frequency information.

It is very very unusual that the I/O LA is "rolling off" the hi frequencies, but still passing audio. As I may have said before, popping, clicking, audio distortion are all problems I have seen (which may or may not be resolved by trashing the FCP preferences, and uninstalling and reinstalling the AJA I/O LA drivers) - but this process will not make your hi frequencies come back. Anything is possible, and certainly AJA will replace your I/O LA, but I urge you to try another audio source into your system BESIDES the AJA to confirm that your hi frequency roll off is not happening with something else (like blown tweeters in your speakers).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Sep 30, 2009 at 6:56:30 pm

Terry, most of the time, the blown area is the audio input transistors, so the recorded audio is already bad. It`s sometimes the transistor or two in the microphone instead of the other end of the cable. Have you checked right channel versus left channel? Another area which is one that could be embarrassing, are you by any chance producing each new work with longer and longer mic cables? This doesn`t work well if there`s an impedance mismatch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]