FORUMS: list search recent posts

No incoming analog audio

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brecht Wouters
No incoming analog audio
on Jun 8, 2009 at 3:29:17 pm

Hi all,

I have this issue with incoming analog audio to an AJA ioHD connected through FireWire to a Mac with FCP Studio. Audio comes from a Voice Over studio to a mixing panel, goes through a patch panel to the AJA. I've tested the connection between the patch panel and the break out boxes (there's also a windows XP computer with Avid Adrenaline connected, two KVM boxes take care of the switch between those two systems) and it works on the AVID system.

So logically, I situate the problem in the connection between the patch panel to the AJA, as there is no visual of any audio incoming. We've also tried to directly hook an audio signal (a digital betacam player) to the AJA, but to no avail. The audio doesn't seem to pass through the system.

The audio input in the inputs tab of the AJA control panel is set to Analog and the Audio/Video input settings in FCP is set to the AJA ioHD and the source and input settings in the Voice Over tool are set to the AJA ioHD.

Another thing is that, when the Voice Over tool is enabled and the AJA is set as source, the audio from the sequence gives feedback. With this I mean that the audio that had passed keeps looping together with the new audio on the timeline.

I'm really desperate for a solution, as I've practically tried everything.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: No incoming analog audio
on Jun 8, 2009 at 8:33:49 pm

Try using VTR Exchnage to see if you can get audio in to your system. Don't use the VO tool for now.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brecht Wouters
on Jun 9, 2009 at 7:19:47 am

Hi Jeremy,

I took your advice and Bob's and that seems to work. Opening FCP makes it stop. I've posted my AV settings in a reply to bob so you can have a look if you wish. I really can't figure it out.

Greetings and many thanks!

Brecht

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 8, 2009 at 9:40:28 pm

Brecht,
troubleshooting 101 - make things as SIMPLE as possible.

I assume you can play audio tone out of your I/O HD, and you can hear it - am I correct ?

If you can, do this -
1) physically drag a VTR over to your I/O HD box. That's right - take it out of the rack, and move it next to the I/O HD.
2) plug in a single XLR cable from OUT 1 of the VTR to IN 1 of the I/O HD.
3) close all programs on your MAC
4) open up AJA Control Panel. Click on the INPUT tab. Make sure that audio is set to ANALOG, and not AES or SDI Embedded
5) open up the CONTROL tab in the AJA Control Panel. Put it on INPUT PASSTHROUGH
6) play a tape in your VTR with audio on it. Do you hear any audio? This will answer quickly if your I/O HD has a problem. DO NOT use FCP until you try these tests using only the AJA Control Panel.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Brecht Wouters
on Jun 9, 2009 at 7:07:30 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your post. I surely can hear audio, but my guess is it's only through embedded SDI. I have already physically hooked up a VTR directly into the AJA IoHD and that didn't seem to work. Even though every other program was closed and the input was set to analog.

However, the input passthrough option you mentioned does make the audio come in and it's visible on the levels.

What do you suggest the problem could be then? Is it a problem in the FCP/Aja interface? And where does the feedback come from?

Greets and thank you!

Brecht

Return to posts index

Brecht Wouters
on Jun 9, 2009 at 7:22:52 am

Hi Bob,

I've got another update. The connections through AJA seem to work, except that when FCP is opened, it stops coming through. So there must be a setting I've missed on FCP?

In the AV settings, the Device Control is set to AJA IoHD: 25 Sony VTR. The videoplayback is set to AJA IoHD 625i25 8bits and the Audio playback is set to AJA IoHD.
In the capture presets, I get the following summary concerning audio: Using AJA IoHD for audio input. Input: default. Format: 48.000 KHz 24-bit 8 channels. Speaker: OFF (Don't know for sure wether it is relevant. Volume: 100, Gain: 101.
In the AV devices tab all is quite similar: AJA IoHD for audio. The video is mirrored on desktop.

I hope this helps?

Regards and many thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

David Perry
on Jun 11, 2009 at 1:20:59 pm

Just an idea. When you look at your clip settings in the log and capture window do you see audio coming in? Also, under VIEW menu, your audio settings need to be the AJA or audio follows video. I assume that you have your system SOUND prefs set to the correct input and output. I too have had audio issues with the IOHD but it has always turned out to be user error.

Good luck,
David Perry

David Perry
Carmen Productions
Leesburg, VA

Return to posts index

Brecht Wouters
on Jun 11, 2009 at 1:35:28 pm

Hi David,

Well no, when the audio is analog, nothing comes in. But the settings are correct, like you mentioned. Audio inputs are through the AJA, and the AJA is set to analog audio in. When the audio is SDI embedded, there are no problems whatsoever. According to our local Dealer, the problems with sending and receiving audio at the same time through AJA are common. Read: it cannot be done.

We made a bypass from the patching panel straight to the jack audio in of the Mac Pro. This works, and also solves both problems. Does this affect the quality?

Because AJA SHOULD give me the analog audio when I'm not using the VO tool (and won't), I do want to reinstall the drivers. Have you got an idea how I should go about that? Recently installing the 6.0.3 driver didn't help. I'm not an experienced mac user yet, so I'm afraid to do anything wrong.

Greetings and thanks for your response.

Brecht

Return to posts index

David Perry
on Jun 11, 2009 at 5:25:31 pm

I know that AJA suggests taking the line out of the mac to listen to playback but your problem excludes that. I will hook mine up and see if I get the same problem. Also, you might uncheck the Lock audio gain to unity in the SETUP panel of the AJA control panel - which has caused problems for me in the past.

David Perry
Carmen Productions
Leesburg, VA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 11, 2009 at 9:15:17 pm

I am not following this whole thread.
With that said -
go to AJA Control panel. Select input. Select audio input to ANALOG. (you said embedded audio worked fine). I assume that your analog audio cables are fine, and if you are going thru a mixer, your mixer is fine, and you are using it correctly.

In FCP, choose an EASY SETUP (no custom setups thru Audio/Video settings) like AJA I/O HD uncompressed 8 bit. Make sure that under VIEW>External Video, it says ALL FRAMES, and not OFF.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

Dan Magnussen
on Aug 20, 2009 at 6:30:26 pm

Brecht,
We're you able to solve your issue? Have similar problems with a system we have.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]