FORUMS: list search recent posts

Record a Mac Desktop from DVI to HDMI In? - It's Not Working.

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jesus Ali
Record a Mac Desktop from DVI to HDMI In? - It's Not Working.
on Jun 3, 2009 at 8:51:31 pm

I videotaped an event where the speaker demo'ed a website, but the wifi didn't work well and the demo was a failure.

Now I'm editing the video of the presentation and thought I could do a proper demo of the website and then edit it into the Final Cut project.

We have a couple AJA IoHD's at the art college where I work (thanks to me) and I figured I could:

Take a Mac Min
Put a DVI to HDMI female converter on its built-in DVI port
Then use an HDMI cable
To feed the Mini's Display
Into the IoHD's HDMI In port.

So far, it's not working.

I have a SONY HDTV at the same workstation and when I plug ITS HDMI cable into the Mac Min, the picture comes up.

When I plug the HDTV into the IoHD's HDMI Out, I can get Test Patterns to load on the HDTV.

But whenever the Mini is connected to the IoHD's HDMI In, the AJA Control Panel says that there is No Video there.

While on the HDTV, I even set the Mac Mini cursor over the DETECT DISPLAYS button, swapped the connections, and clicked it while connected to the IoHD, but alas, no dice.

Anybody have any ideas?

Is this some HDCP BS?
Or is the IoHD expecting some signal that the DVI Converter doesn't put into the HDMI cord?

I think I have an old VGA to RGB Component cable, but I'd have to dig around for it and the DVI dongle...

Otherwise, are there any FREE screen capture programs for MacOS 10.5?
I know there are pay programs, but since we all ready PAID $3k for IoHD's, I thought I'd start there... ;P
Another consideration is that the website has Sound that I would need to capture in sync.

Any tips are appreciated!

Thanks, Jesus

Return to posts index

Jesus Ali
Re: Record a Mac Desktop from DVI to HDMI In? - It's Not Working.
on Jun 3, 2009 at 10:16:28 pm

Just a follow up post:

The first time I tried it over DVI to HDMI In with this adapter:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=10...

Just now, I tried it with a DVI to Component adapter, but the page says it's for ATI cards only and the Mac Mini has the Intel Shared Graphics card, so I can see why that doesn't work.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=10...

However, flipping the pins to different locations ALMOST works, when I Screen Share over the network with the Mini, I can set its monitor to different values and watch as the HDTV connected to the AJA IoHD, flips out and cycles through different pixel distortions.

When the Mini is set to 640 x 480 @ 60 Hz, the IoHD sees a 1080i signal coming in over Component.

I can force that signal back down to 525i, and shaky ghost images appear on the HDTV.

So yeah, since this converter says it's for ATI cards, I'll abandon this route.

I lost of box of VGA to Component RCA cables that shipped with a big order of Dell projectors, finding that box is my only hope right now. I know there are no dip switches on those cables, so I hope that they'll work sending just the raw RGB.

Again, any IoHD tips or free screen capture hints are appreciated.

Thanks! Jesus

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 4, 2009 at 1:07:02 am

yea, what's wrong with you AJA guys ! I bought an AJA I/O HD - why can't it be a scan converter too ! I bought a DVI to HDMI cable - how come it can't scan convert ! Gee wiz, everyone always wants me to spend more money !

http://video.folsom.com/products/?index=1070327722_18404
NO, DONT TELL ME THIS !

or this -
http://www.gefen.com/pdf/DVI%20to%20HD-SDI%20Conversion%20Box%20Manual.pdf

or this (same thing) -
http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-DVI-to-HD-SDI-Converter/dp/B000VMDU3Q

or this -
http://www.commspecial.com/product/product_details.php?id=194

NO NO NO - I WANT IT FOR FREE, those AJA bastards, they tricked me, and now I have to spend more money. WHAAAAAA !!!!!!

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jesus Ali
on Jun 4, 2009 at 4:48:42 am

In another, snark-free, universe, Bob posted:
"Hey Jesus. That IoHD can do a lot things, and even though it offers many different formats of video signal cross-conversion, what you're looking to do would require a distinctly different piece of equipment called a 'Scan Converter.' Here are some links to Scan Converters...

...and while I'm at it, I bet you're confused as to why the Mac Mini (computer display signal generator) can successfully use the Sony HDTV (video signal display device) as a monitor, when the IoHD (video signal display device) can't understand the same signal.

It's an easy misconception to make, let me explain the distinctions, for your (and others') benefit..."

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jun 4, 2009 at 8:32:02 pm

[Jesus Ali] "...and while I'm at it, I bet you're confused as to why the Mac Mini (computer display signal generator) can successfully use the Sony HDTV (video signal display device) as a monitor, when the IoHD (video signal display device) can't understand the same signal.

there is a very simple answer.

The AJA HDMI ports only supports SMPTE VIDEO- computers do not output video -they output graphics.

thats why it does not work, since your display is not video.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Jun 4, 2009 at 10:27:21 pm

Jesus, unfortunately there is no parallel universe so some use forums for their personal vendetta against, well who knows...

Even so HDMI is a standard developed from DVI it's basically the standard fo digital video connections (note: as opposed to computer graphics) which have a set frame size and frame rate (SD/HD formats - 25 or 30 frames)

Computer graphics (using DVI) can have many different frame rates and frame sizes. The ioHD is made for video and therefor only operates in that narrow field of SD/HD frame size and 25/30 FPS.
Your Sony monitor can do many different formats and frame rates. But not every monitor can do that. What may be confusing is that LCD TV's often can display computer graphics as well.

Hope that helps

Carsten

Return to posts index

Tim Kirby
on Jun 5, 2009 at 7:53:05 am

This particular snark has a bad habit of shooting anyone he can down in flames in often inappropriate, arrogant and downright rude fashion - he probably thinks he's clever, he probably thinks he's funny, in reality I think he just comes across as a bit of a dork.

-----------------------------
Man cannot discover new oceans until he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

Return to posts index

Dar Chehrazi
on Jun 5, 2009 at 4:52:05 pm

The fact that you plug an adapter into the DVI cable end to mate it with HDMI cable end does not mean the protocol will work. The reason is, HDMI carries ancillary data which convey the Video ID Code (video format, frame rate etc); this ancillary data packet which in the HDMI world is called infoframe is not present in the DVI world. ioHD expects this data packet to ID the video format, if its not there it can't recognize the video. The only thing the cable adapter does is re-route the wires.

The other reason ioHD does not support DVI is that video formats in DVI world don't match up with the SMPTE world in which ioHD operates. They have odd ball resolutions which require Scaling and windowing the video from the computer to make them SMPTE compatible. This feature is not available in ioHD. Think of it like an LCD monitor, they all have video Scalers which re-size the video in an attempt to display whatever format it receives.
I know this doesn't solve your problem but should help you understand the issue.

Return to posts index

Jesus Ali
on Jun 5, 2009 at 9:35:58 pm

Thanks for clarifying things for me, guys!

I appreciate it!

Yeah the most confusing part was that the consumer HDTV would play the Mac's screen. That's what made me assume it was "speaking" a general video signal language.

In the end, I looked around and found Apple's program called Podcast Producer and used it to record the screen.

You need a computer with Leopard Server (setup the Podcast Admin service) somewhere on your LAN to use Podcast Producer on a separate station, but it does indeed record your screen and save it on the server as a QT Mpeg-4. It records audio from the Mac's Line Input, but not sounds generated from programs on the Mac, so I ran a stereo headphone to stereo headphone cord between the Mac Pro audio output and input and all went well!

Thanks again,

Jesus

Return to posts index

Brian Walker
on Jun 7, 2009 at 2:58:45 am

It is not free, but works really well for HI REZ screen capture.

Screen Flow

here is a link...

http://www.telestream.net/screen-flow/overview.htm

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 12, 2009 at 9:23:33 pm

I am humbled by your accurate, excellent answer from a top manufacturer. I did not know about this product.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]