FORUMS: list search recent posts

iohd and hdv

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mack
iohd and hdv
on May 28, 2009 at 10:30:58 pm

I took a friends 4 hdv tapes (from an fx1) and he wanted me to capture as pro res hq. I have a miranda converter on my z1 that takes component to HD SDI into my IOHD. All went well but he was color grading the hdv while I was capturing over the long weekend. Then he is trying to put the color on top of my pro res hq capture and he says the t/c is off more than 3 minutes when he looks at the t/c in the canvas. Anyone have any reason why?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: iohd and hdv
on May 29, 2009 at 3:53:27 am

[Jeff Mack] " I have a miranda converter on my z1 that takes component to HD SDI into my IOHD"

First of all, why this? Jsut go in analog component to the ioHD.

[Jeff Mack] "Then he is trying to put the color on top of my pro res hq capture and he says the t/c is off more than 3 minutes when he looks at the t/c in the canvas"

How did you capture tc?

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 29, 2009 at 2:05:46 pm

Hi Jeremy,

Well, I use the converter when I am capturing live mainly. It takes the uncompressed signal and turns it hdsdi with 10 bit 422. I assumed that it would be a better signal than component into the IOHD. I'm probably wrong. It's just part of my normal workflow.

My main problem is that I don't know much about timecode. I am a one man show so very rarely do I need to rely on timecode. Now the camera has a lanc out and the converter has lanc in and I believe timecode is output through this. Since I'm playing out of the camera, the t/c could be embedded in the sdi. I haven't tried the lanc cable.

In any event, the timecode DID come through since the raw HDV and my capture were so close. It seems like it has to be something mechanical. a 1440 vs 1920 shouldn't affect the t/c should it? They are both at 29.97. Maybe drop vs non drop?

I really don't know the procedure to get timecode into the IOHD and what settings in the control panel to make it read.

I captured to FCP instead of VTR exchange.

The other thing was that since I was sending a contiguous stream, there was no break in t/c so it captured one long clip. I wonder if capturing component would let the IOHD see the t/c breaks.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 29, 2009 at 7:37:26 pm

[Jeff Mack] " I assumed that it would be a better signal than component into the IOHD"

I think the less conersion you are doing in the signal path the better. Capturing analog HD should be just fine.

[Jeff Mack] "I really don't know the procedure to get timecode into the IOHD and what settings in the control panel to make it read.
"

You'd need a lanc to LTC converter and then fedd tc to the LTC in of the ioHD. Then use VTR exchnage to capture.

[Jeff Mack] "a 1440 vs 1920 shouldn't affect the t/c should it?"

Nope.

[Jeff Mack] "They are both at 29.97. Maybe drop vs non drop? "

yes.

[Jeff Mack] "I wonder if capturing component would let the IOHD see the t/c breaks. "

No, you'd have to start and stop the recording along with the camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]