FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA ioHD, FCP, and Panasonic AJ-1400...HELP

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Bernstein
AJA ioHD, FCP, and Panasonic AJ-1400...HELP
on May 26, 2009 at 9:50:16 pm

I am having a difficult time getting my settings correct between the ioHD, and the Panasonic AJ-1400 when trying to 'edit to tape' thru FCP...

I am connected from the AJA to the VTR via HD/SDI. I am feeding tri-level reference from a GEN-10 into the VTR's HD ref-in and the AJA's ref-in (and 75 ohm terminating the outs).

I have tried (seemingly) every combination of menu settings in the VTR, the FCP, and the VTR (from all 720p to all 1080i) and am only able to record audio only (half the embedded signal makes me think this is a simple softwrae setting but I cannot figure out where I'm missing the mark).

Had anyone had any luck with this scenario? Thanks in advance...!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA ioHD, FCP, and Panasonic AJ-1400...HELP
on May 27, 2009 at 2:40:22 am

You don't need trilevel sync for 720p/1080i.

What format/frame rate is your timeline and what format is the deck set in?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Bernstein
on May 27, 2009 at 4:30:15 am

I've tried setting 1400 in both 720&1080, AjA too (both passed through native and up/down converted).

Swtrched to black burst too- no luck.

(Curious to hear how you genlock Hd without trilevel...)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 27, 2009 at 2:24:38 pm

[Craig Bernstein] "(Curious to hear how you genlock Hd without trilevel...)"

Trilevel is only for 1080psf/23.98 or 24.

What format and codec is your FCP timeline, please?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Bernstein
on May 27, 2009 at 3:47:53 pm

Jeremy,
I was able to work this out...Thanks for the response.

BTW - you're very wrong about Tri-level sync.

All High Definition video uses Tri-level sync. This signal consists of a three level sync pulse (0 V Blank, -.3 mV pulse, +.3 mV pulse) followed by the video image data. This signal is repeated every scan line to make up the video frame. Most HD tri-level sync generators can be switched between (up to 19) different HD formats including all that are in use today.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 27, 2009 at 3:56:12 pm

[Craig Bernstein] "BTW - you're very wrong about Tri-level sync. "

Ooo, those are geek fightin' words ;-)

No, no I'm not. I said that you don't necessarily need tri level for HD. You can use Bi level in 60Hz situations, we have it running here through our facility from a Gen10 and it works just fine. We only use tri-level in 24(48)Hz situations. For regular 60Hz (1080i or 720p) you can use plain old NTSC black burst.

Can I get a Bob Zelin?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Bernstein
on May 27, 2009 at 4:16:08 pm

no geek offense intended.

thx again,
cheers

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AJA ioHD, FCP, and Panasonic AJ-1400...RANT
on May 28, 2009 at 12:56:58 am

Craig -
you write -
I was able to work this out

REPLY - but you didn't say what you did to "work this out". As Jeremy said, all you need is NTSC Color Black. You DO NOT NEED tri level sync when working with a 720p 59.94 signal. Whoever is telling you that you must use tri level sync is VERY WRONG, and doesn't understand the process.

When you use the AJA I/O HD and the AJ-HD1400, you simply take NTSC black, and feed it into the Ref Video Input of the HD1400, and the Reference IN of the I/O HD. You go to the AJA Control Panel, switch the CONTROL TAB to EXT REF, and you are genlocked. In your project, you select in Easy Setups a frame rate of 59.94 (I don't give a crap if you shot in 23.98, you choose 59.94 because the 1400 does the pulldown for you), and a codec (like DVCProHD - the native codec for this VTR), and edit, and output to tape with no issues - all using STANDARD BLACK - even though you are working in HD.

Another possiblity of problems you were having with your 1400 was the system reference - this VTR (and the 1200) can be changed between 720p and 1080i operation. The 1400 comes default from the factory at 1080i, and most people, shooting with Panasonic cameras, are often working in 720p. This causes great confusion with this VTR for many people.

you write -
BTW - you're very wrong about Tri-level sync.

All High Definition video uses Tri-level sync. This signal consists of a three level sync pulse (0 V Blank, -.3 mV pulse, +.3 mV pulse) followed by the video image data. This signal is repeated every scan line to make up the video frame. Most HD tri-level sync generators can be switched between (up to 19) different HD formats including all that are in use today.

REPLY -
the very fact that you said "you tried every combination of 720 and 1080" makes me realize that you had no idea of how the tape was shot, or how to even set the AJ-HD1400 VTR for proper operation. In the future, you can simply play your AJ-HD1400 into the AJA Control Panel, and observe the SDI input 1 (where your VTR is playing into) - it will tell you how your VTR is set (720 or 1080) - but if you have a 720 tape, and your VTR is set for 1080, you will be in trouble. You can never assume anything.

As for your GEN 10 -
switch 5 will select between 720p and 1080i sync for tri level, but your VTR has to be set correctly - AND it has to match your tapes !
So ASSUMING that you have 720p tapes, switch 5 gets set to the "right" position for 720, and switches 6,7 and 8 get set to 000 (all to the left), because you are working in 720p 59.94. You can find this information on page 6 of your GEN 10 manual.

However, as Jeremy said, you could have simply used standard NTSC Black, and accomplished the same thing. You are COMPLETELY WRONG
about your assumption about tri level sync and the "need for it" for hi definition video.

Next time, perhaps you should understand the subject before copying a paragraph from Wikipedia, which by the way, does not explain how a sync signal is used by a genlock circuit to reference equipment to lock to the same pulse reference. Both the AJA I/O HD and AJ-HD1400 have sync seperator circuits that strip the sync from the composite video signal (color black) to provide a 29.97 frame reference to lock up these products at the PROPER FRAME RATE IN HD without the use of tri level sync.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]