FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA ioLA

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
FranciscoDauhajre
AJA ioLA
on May 20, 2009 at 1:27:59 am

Hello everyone, I just purchased an AJA io LA board on eBay for $450. I have a broadcast station in Santo Domingo and all the bumpers and promos look awful when I output through Firewire to my SONY HVR25 Deck. I considered getting a BlackMagic SD card first, but then I had to buy a MacPro for the PCI-X slot. Since we broadcast in SD, I dont really need the HD option, my question is, will the iMac's hard drive hold up? Remember that I am not going to do lengthy captures, my main interest is that the graphics and animations done in After Effects and 3D applications come out with great quality. I will output this to Beta SP and DVCAM for ON AIR use. Should I check on my Aja's Firmware version? Any help woulde be great. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA ioLA
on May 20, 2009 at 1:12:16 pm

Hello Francisco.

Can you help me to understand what equipment you already have?

Do you have a MacPro or an iMac?

Return to posts index

FranciscoDauhajre
on May 22, 2009 at 2:22:44 am

I have a new 24" iMac with a 500GB internal drive, a 3 year old MacBookPro 15" (first Intel version) and a Western Digital Studio external HD which has FireWire400/800, USB2 and eSata interface. Am I better off using the old MacBookPro with an expresscard eSata controller connected to my ext. HD?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 22, 2009 at 3:18:26 am

[FranciscoDauhajre] "Am I better off using the old MacBookPro with an expresscard eSata controller connected to my ext. HD? "

Yes as the ioLA needs it's own firewire bus.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

FranciscoDauhajre
on May 22, 2009 at 1:04:22 pm

Ok, great. Another question, I am going to be feeding my AJA ioLA different sources like a UVW-1800 Beta SP deck, DVCAM, DV and maybe even HDV material from a SONY HVR-15 deck. I read that I would get better quality using the component out on the Beta SP deck as well as the component out in the HVR deck (instead of the Firewire out), but my question is which setting should I use for all of my projects. I was thinking PRORES which maxes out at about 9MB/sec for SD and has great quality (Much better than DV I hope.) Can you please advise me on the settings, My IOla is shipping and I want to minimize the guessing work when I finally get it. Remember my final output is BetaSP, DVCAM and DVD. No need for HD at the moment. Thanks for youre help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 22, 2009 at 2:30:13 pm

Yes, ProRes is good. You can also do 8 or 10 bit uncompressed if your drives are fast enough. ProRes will give you the most rt with the most convenient file size and allow 10 bit editing/graphics creation.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

FranciscoDauhajre
on May 22, 2009 at 3:06:48 pm

Great. I am very greatful for youre help. If I was to do a BetaCam SP DUB. That is, a copy from BetaSP to BetaSP, is it wiser to go uncompressed than ProResHQ? I used to have 2 BetaSP decks but eventually sold one, so I need a robust solution for this since a make alot of copies for local distribuition to the stations. These copies are usually 3 minutes at most.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 22, 2009 at 3:14:53 pm

Well, you could do a test. YOu probably won't see any difference at all between ProRes (no reason to go HQ for SD) and 8 or 10 bit Uncompressed in this current situation.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

FranciscoDauhajre
on May 24, 2009 at 12:51:31 am

Jeremy, thanks again. My broadcast station has 3 studios, which are of the "old classic" setup. That is to say that I have the full set of equipment which include a component 8 input switcher (which requires sync), Sony DXC series cameras, Sony CCU's,26 pin CCU Cables (which are very expensive and easily damaged, TBC's for connecting non-synchronous equipment like DVD Players, Scan Converters, DVCAM decks, BetaSP decks, the list goes on and on. Recently I am very curious in the Tricaster Broadcast from NewTek that with basically US$50,000 I can arrange a whole studio (with virtual sets} with a couple of SDI cameras like the SONY EX1 or EX3 and cheap decks like the HVR series from SONY, since the Tricaster it has a TBC in every input. But I am a bit skeptical, any experience you might have in this area, any info, please let me know, because all of the Demos I see, make it seem like this piece of equipment is too good to be true, but then again, they only want to sell more. Youre help is very useful to me. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 26, 2009 at 4:21:45 pm

[FranciscoDauhajre] "any experience you might have in this area, any info, please let me know,"

I don't have much experience with Tricaster. I do know a few people that use it in live broadcast siutations and have nothing but good things to say.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

FranciscoDauhajre
on May 26, 2009 at 5:28:01 pm

Ok, I understand. I also wanted to know if there is some kind of software available for the AJA ioLA to use it as a CG Generator for live use (same as the BlackMagic based CG's). Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 26, 2009 at 5:31:10 pm

[FranciscoDauhajre] "I also wanted to know if there is some kind of software available for the AJA ioLA to use it as a CG Generator for live use (same as the BlackMagic based CG's). Thanks.
"

Only the Kona 3 has a down stream keyer. It is not on the ioLA.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

FranciscoDauhajre
on May 27, 2009 at 12:43:15 am

Ok, I need a Pro CG Generator and the one that mostly suits my needs are from http://www.compixmedia.com but I dont know anyone who uses their equioment. If you happen to know this company or any other SD Character Generator please let me know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]