FORUMS: list search recent posts

ioHD and timecode (what a mess)

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Matthew
ioHD and timecode (what a mess)
on May 13, 2009 at 2:49:42 pm

So first I will explain what were doing along with the problem we are having and hopefully we can figure out a fix.

We have a Sony f500 hdcam deck running into the iohd deck in hopes of transferring hdcam tape to quicktime files for a client. It was a multiple camera shoot with multiple tapes. We are using a new macbook pro. I found, on these threads, that FCP cannot work with timecode very well so I went ahead and downloaded the VTR exchange program. All seemed well, VTR exchange was recognizing the timecode changes EVEN while we were capturing.

The problem is that VTR exchange sees the timecode breaks in the footage but isnt laying it to the quicktime movie. So basically the cameras were shooting in free run mode so there are timecode breaks on the tapes and on the final quicktime clip, vtr exchange just keeps counting up.

I have talked to support at AJA and they say:"VTR exchange uses Quicktime v dig, in laymen, the plumbing is pretty basic; timecode at start and increment from there....."
This seems way too silly for me.

So my question is, without having to manually log and capture every take, is there anything I can do to capture hdcam tapes using the iohd while keeping the integrity of the necessary timecode information??

Thanks and talk soon.
Eric Matthew
Motion Picture Camera Tech

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: ioHD and timecode (what a mess)
on May 13, 2009 at 5:07:33 pm

[Eric Matthew] "is there anything I can do to capture hdcam tapes using the iohd while keeping the integrity of the necessary timecode information?? "

You would have to start and stop when doing your live capturing. You can't just leave the ioHD recording and have the tc change in the Quicktime file. Even your camera won't do that. The tc runs all day, but the tc that gets recorded to tape starts and stops wheneever the record button is pushed.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: ioHD and timecode (what a mess)
on May 13, 2009 at 5:10:40 pm

[Eric Matthew] "So basically the cameras were shooting in free run mode so there are timecode breaks on the tapes and on the final quicktime clip, vtr exchange just keeps counting up. "

Eric

DId you setup your machine to read the incoming LTC or were you just relying on the Serial connection?

You have to force the LTC in the Kona Control panel (as LTC PORT or RP188 LTC) and in VTR exchange prefs (as RP188) otherwise yes Quicktime will just start the TC then Run with it..

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Check out
http://www.aja.com/kiprotour/

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]