FORUMS: list search recent posts

IoHD workflow for SD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Campbell MacDuff
IoHD workflow for SD
on Apr 23, 2009 at 11:36:28 pm

I'm looking at buying an IoHD for a gig where I'm travelling about the country for 4mnths shooting HD interviews and editing on the road.
However, when the jobs over and I bring the IoHD back home I'm wondering about a couple issues particular to me.
I predominantly shoot SD as I mostly deliver on the web and this HD project is an exception. Consequently I don't have any recording deck or an input card at my studio. I usually ingest SD over firewire.
If I'm to continue to use the IoHD how would I integrate my SD workflow?
I'm normally shooting with my DVX in 16:9, but that only has Firewire out plus S-Video and Composite. I'm guessing it's best to stick with Firewire but I can't firewire 'in' to the IoHD.. right?
I can see it being a great asset to up-convert my SD to HD, but how would I do that as the device isn't dual-link. Correct?
If I continue to ingest SD over firewire, can I use the Io HD to up convert it, back into a QT file on the same system? Looks like I'd need a deck or HD recorder with SDI in. I'm also guessing I couldn't play out of the IoHD back into itself or my system via another card as the (BlackMagic Intesity for eg) as the transfer would tax my system to much. That said I'm running an 8 core Intel Mac with 8gigs of Ram.
Any help appreciated. I might be thinking about this entirely the wrong way.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: IoHD workflow for SD
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:08:45 am

buy nothing.
You shoot SD, you injest firewire. You encode to web. You almost never use HD.
Why buy an I/O HD. You are not inputing HD-SDI. You are not outputting HD-SDI.
Nor are you outputting to a Digi Beta VTR, or even a Beta VTR. You are better off with the
new AJA Kona LHi for $1500, which can upconvert SD to HD for output to an HD VTR if you need in the future. For now, buy nothing. Don't be in such a hurry to spend money.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Campbell MacDuff
on Apr 24, 2009 at 4:08:21 am

RE: SD. Not in this instance Bob. I'm shooting and providing the end product in HD. We're shooting on a HPX172 and I was thinking of using the SDI out straight to the IoHD.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:14:45 am

You don't mention what flavor of HD you are shooting for 4 months. If it is HDV and you don't intend to upgrade your workflow to HD, I would pass on the IOHD as you can capture HDV over firewire rather easily. Shooting interviews shouldn't be very long gop unfriendly and you don't need to lug the extra gear while traveling. If I were you, you shoud check out the new AJA field recorder instead.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Campbell MacDuff
on Apr 24, 2009 at 3:53:42 am

Hi Jeff, I'm shooting both interviews and a variety of 'work about the farm' kind of stuff. It'll be use for DVD, and HD projection at various events.
We're shooting on a Panasonic HPX172. We've four 16gig cards, but I was thinking we'd capture straight over the SDI out from the camera to ProRes HQ. Then in the evening we can edit and back up the cards at the same time on a seperate drive.
It's just re: the Io HD, I've a friendly dealer who has a ex demo model for half price and buying some of the other video ingestor boxes new works out nearly the same.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Apr 24, 2009 at 4:16:45 am

Why make it hard on yourself. Use the p2 cards and be done. You gain nothing with the HDSDI ingest. Transcode the p2 if you need. Are you using a laptop to edit while on the road?

Return to posts index

Campbell MacDuff
on Apr 24, 2009 at 4:34:44 am

Yes we're editing on a laptop. a MacBook Pro.
But we don't own a P2 card reader. Given we're shooting intermittantly over 4mnths hiring one is pretty expensive - buying one new is basically the same price as the ex demo IoHD.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Apr 24, 2009 at 2:28:58 pm

Use the camera! Firewire transfer

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 24, 2009 at 8:51:04 pm

The Duel Adapter is $120US, that is all you need with a MacBook Pro.

If you capture via the HD SDI there is not connection to the footage on the P2 cards, so if something happens within the edit and you need to access this those files it will not be just a reconnect but it won't be the end of the world either. But you are entering into a mixed format world, capturing some footage as ProRes and then if you are run and gunning it you will be only using P2 which will give you DVCProHD. So you will be dealing with transcoding or rending.

It seems like you really want to buy this IoHD, and it sounds like you have a great deal on it, if you want it get it, at that price you could probably eBay it later and lose no money, It is an extremely handy device that you can use for a lot of things but I would say if you buy it it doesn't mean you should use it in place it doesn't make sense, for this job it doesn't make sense. So buy it, use it when it makes sense.

my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 24, 2009 at 4:49:12 pm

Campbell -
people buy hardware because they have to, in order to make money. I love when people buy hardware, to try to be as professional as possible. If you are doing a lot of work, and making a lot of money with this hardware, it's a great investment. But if you do not have on going HD work, and do not have to output to tape, I don't see the point in you spending the money. As you have just been told, AJA just released a wonderful field recorder for ProRes422HQ recording, so you can start editing right away - the KiPro, but you seem to have this bug up your ass to get the I/O HD becuase your dealer is going to give you a "deal" - so are you getting the I/O HD for $1500 instead of $3000 ? Because the new I/O Express is $995, and works with your slot34 adaptor in your Mac Book Pro.

You can just import the P2 footage directly into your MAC Book Pro without any additional hardware.
People buy these AJA and Blackmagic products becuase they have to, in order to work with assorted
VTR's, and have delivery requirements. If you do not have these requirements, don't spend the money.
There are new products that are coming out that are amazing. The I/O HD is a teriffic box,but I just don't see the application for what you are doing.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

Campbell MacDuff
on Apr 25, 2009 at 10:43:56 am

to clarify, and thanks for everyone's input, damned or otherwise, I don't have a MacBook Pro, just a MacBook. My error in haste. Hence no firewire in.
We start shooting mid-may so yes, I'm in a hurry. The newer devices mentioned by Bob and others aren't out till june. I could opt for some of the cheaper boxes and input devices from Matrox and the like.
Heck I could even spend the same money (for the IO) on a MacBook Pro and not have any of the cross format issues Michael mentioned.
I'm was just thinking that this may be a good opportunity to look to my future requirements and also slot it into my current requirements. I'm planning on buying a Panasonic HMC-150 so I can do a wider range of work I currently sub out to friends. I was also thinking with the Io my edit suite would be more useful to others with higher end camera's. They currently have to hire gear or edit suites so I could let out my suite if I had a means for them to hook up their gear.
However, when I posted this I wasn't aware there'd been other releases from Aja that gave me more or less the same input/conversion for much less money.
I think if I can find an alternate way to get the data off the cards while on the road I'm going to head down that route....
And thanks for the thought Bob, but I've checked. I don't have a bug up my ass ;-)

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Apr 25, 2009 at 1:14:28 pm

Curious,
If you have no firewire, how were you going to hook up the IOHD?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 25, 2009 at 7:04:21 pm

or any other ingest product for that matter??????????

Return to posts index

Campbell MacDuff
on Apr 27, 2009 at 11:07:47 am

sorry, I'm not explaining this very well.
I'll try not to bore you all with the detail, but gotta run. My wifes about to have a baby so this will have to keep. thnx!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]