FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA IO HD to live web stream

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rouleau
AJA IO HD to live web stream
on Apr 14, 2009 at 7:24:21 pm

Just wondering if anyone has used the AJA IO HD with a service like ustream.tv.

We are looking to do some live streaming, of SD and HD formats and the AJA box attached to a MacBook Pro seems like the ticket.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: AJA IO HD to live web stream
on Apr 14, 2009 at 7:53:08 pm

The ioHD will not encode to a web friendly codec in real time, but it will take your HD feeds and turn them to SD in either SDI/embedded or separete analog YUV/audio and send them to another device that is ready for real time web encoding. For that the ioHD will work, but it will not provide a streamable video signal.

You should look for a box that will do this in real time such as NewTek's Tricaster.

Return to posts index

Rich Rouleau
on Apr 14, 2009 at 7:59:20 pm

I understand the ioHD will not encode for web. http://ustream.tv /Watershed is/has the encoder and their encoder will ingest DV source.

I was more so wondering if anyone has used the ioHD to feed the source to such a service through firewire.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Apr 14, 2009 at 8:53:41 pm

I tested this a while back and it worked okay.

I went from my Kona3 System HD 1080i seq, downconverted to SD SDI out to a MBP w/ the IoHD. Opened up Quicktime Player>File> New Movie Recording, open up prefs set the IoHD as the source, then choose H.264 as the recording mode. (I think you need to set the record prefs before you open the New Movie Recording)

This will record a realtime H.264 movie. Don't have many options but it is there.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Apr 17, 2009 at 2:19:03 pm

Rich,

I do this every Friday night. I used to use Stickam.com and my set up was 1080i into sdi 1, HDMI out to monitor and signal was 525 1 into stickam. It had to be 525. We had problems with stickam and last wek switched to Ustream. Ustream can take the 1080i signal with no down convert. So now it's 1080i straight through and it works fine. Ustream has a settings window like all do. It's flash settings. Ustream has presets for DVC Pro 720 and 1080. I tried them but I couldn't get a signal to pass so I just selected 1080 and it worked fine.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Rich Rouleau
on Apr 17, 2009 at 2:39:06 pm

Thanx! Exactly what I needed to know!

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Apr 17, 2009 at 3:47:10 pm

I think, no I know, this is th e first time I was able to give advice! The Cow is a great thing!

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Apr 17, 2009 at 9:37:02 pm

Rich,

I also stumbled upon this program: http://www.allocinit.com/index.php?title=CamTwist

It allows you to switch cams and add graphics etc. Kind of a poor mans switcher but with my IOHD and ISight, I now have two sources (make that 4 by adding component and composite Switched in control panel during preview) and more with USB.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Rich Rouleau
on Apr 17, 2009 at 9:53:20 pm

We are actually using a Sony Anycast for production of the show.

For now outputting to a DVCpro50 shoebox, for recording and for output to our Adobe flash media encoder (firewire). Our show is then run through http://watershed.ustream.tv

Its live right now (if interested)...
http://scad.tv

I was looking at the ioHD so that we have the ability to do HD/SD in a portable appliance.

Return to posts index

joe mcneilly
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:24:26 pm

I've just started testing a similar system - Ustreaming from io/HD on a 17" MBP. i bought the producer pro desktop application, but still get some choppiness in the stream (even at SD bitrates) and have probs with the audio coming out of sync both during broadcast and in the recorded file.

Occasionally Producer Pro fails to identify the audio input from the io, and there's an irritating system conflict that makes Producer crash if the io is powered on when I launch it. If i turn the io off, then launch Producer, it complains that it can't find the io. So I turn the io on after launching Producer, then I have to go through the device configuration menus every single time to get Producer to correctly see input stream.

I'm thinking Producer Pro may be choking a bit on transcoding the ProRes stream coming from the io, so I i'm going to try using a Hauppauge HD-PVR i have sitting around. I'm also going to try 'casting from a more powerful desktop system, but that kills the mobility of the laptop. hoping to not have to buy another piece of hardware to make this work smoothly. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Apr 28, 2010 at 4:46:24 pm

Hey Joe,

I have been working on a seamless workflow to stream for almost a year now and finally am getting the results that I like. First off, I wanted to use the IOHD as well so I could hook my camera up to a 25 foot sdi cable. I use Wirecast to encode and stream to ustream. I would downconvert to sd and Wirecast would see that just fine. I work with a MBPro. I had a lot of crashes though just like you described. When I really settled down, I bought a 15 firewire cable and now go directly into wirecast. I bypassed the IOHD all together. WHat Wirecast has is an output statistic toolbar that lets you see the output frame rate. Without something like this, you are just pissing in the wind when it comes to setting your encode up. Here's what I found with my MBP ( 2 GB ram, 2.16mhz processor) Even though Wirecast has an HDV plugin and boasts the ability to stream HD, the only way I can get smooth video is to encode to 320 x 180. I also found that I need to close ALL windows to keep my GPU to 50 - 60%. The MBP, at least mine, bogs down when Wirecast is open, the chat room is open and the Ustream broadcast windo is open.

My viewers seem very satisfied that the video is clear and audio is clean. I have A/V in sync 100% and only like a second delay with the broadcast. Wirecast really is a pretty good program however, Telestream bought this program and now have to support it. There are a lot of peculiarities with it and they are the first to admit th technical issues. They have unveiled a major upgrade available in June. They also support BM capture cards but whe I asked them how bout AJA, they said it was too expensive.

So in a nutshell, go firewire if you can and see if you can monitorthe output statistics.

Jeff

Return to posts index

joe mcneilly
on Apr 28, 2010 at 11:09:20 pm

Thanks for the tips. Producer Pro is so flaky! It's totally inconsistent with picking up the signal from the io, and when it does it can't always display it correctly. though when it actually works, down-converting is much smoother.

I'm going to try running it on a Mac Pro tower, see if the extra processors will help. Thus far I'm very disappointed in Producer Pro, they really oversell it and its practically worthless.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]