FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD workflow using AJA GEN10

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McGowan
HD workflow using AJA GEN10
on Apr 9, 2009 at 3:12:47 pm

I have an upcoming job that is to be shot on film and edited in HD. I plan on having the dailies/OCN transferred @ 1080psf 23.98 (16:9 full frame) I'm assuming the film will be shot at 24fps. My question is once I've completed editing the spot (in FCP in a 23.98 sequence) and want to print to tape (D5 HD) what is the best way go about this? I'm renting the D5 deck and have purchased an AJA GEN10 sync generator. Are there pitfalls that i need to be on the lookout for? This is the first time I'm attempting something like this and I want the job to go as smoothly as possible. I'm also pretty much on my own with no engineering safety net. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: HD workflow using AJA GEN10
on Apr 9, 2009 at 5:11:02 pm

GEN10
dip switch
1 to HD
2 to HD
4 to 59.94
5 to 1080
6 to 1
7 to 0
8 to 0

look at the GEN10 manual on the web, so that the 678 switch positions make more sense to you.

AJA Control Panel control tab in EXTERNAL REFERENCE (not internal or free run). 2 video cables - GEN10 to D5 Ref Video IN, GEN10 to AJA Reference IN. Use 75 ohm terminator to terminate the input on the AJA.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael McGowan
on Apr 9, 2009 at 5:31:56 pm

Thanks for the quick response Bob, this seems very clear to me. One question, does this config change if I want to use an existing NTSC reference from my machine room rack?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 9, 2009 at 10:15:10 pm

One question, does this config change if I want to use an existing NTSC reference from my machine room rack?

REPLY -
you can't use an NTSC reference. You specifically stated that you want to work at 1080i 23.98. If you are going to work at 1080i 29.97, and have the film transfer done with 3:2 pulldown, then yes, you can forget the GEN10 and genlock the AJA IO and Pana D5 VTR with NTSC black. But YOU said that you wanted to work at 23.98. This requires TRI LEVEL SYNC. This is why you are buying the GEN10 - to have tri level sync that will put out pulses at 23.98. NTSC runs at 29.97, not 23.98, and nothing will lock up.

I ALWAYS encourge my clients to work at normal NTSC frame rate, because all my clients finish for TV, not film. But if you have a 23.98 D5 delivery requirement, you have no choice, and must lock your entire system to the GEN10 with 23.98 tri level sync. Nothing in your machine room will lock to this.

bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]