FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback Problem w/ IoHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Sacci
Playback Problem w/ IoHD
on Mar 30, 2009 at 3:17:27 am

Hope this is okay, I moved this info from the FCP forum and added new info and problems.

1st Issue
Trying to do an ETT but this is just normal playback of the timeline.

Specs
MBP 2.4 C2Duo/2GB RAM
OS 10.5.6
FCP 6.0.5
Latest QT

Seq: 1080 23.98 PreRes (HQ) A single movie file (no edits)
Video out 1080i 29.97 PR(HQ) or 1080 10 Bit psf 23.98
going out to AJA IoHD (v 6.0.3) down convert to BetaSP Letterboxed

Video plays for less then a second and then I get the Stopped Dropped frames. The drives are not the issue, with AJA System test on read (from a file) it is saying it is reading at about 120MB/s and only dropping to 90 every now and then. If I turn off video out timeline plays back fine.

I tried to see if a DVCProHD 720p sequence and video file would work better but in FCP Video out there are no options for DVCPro, just ProRes so it does the same thing.

2nd Issue
I downconverted the video from my Mac Pro/Kona3 system to my MPB/IoHD. But before I take my laptop and IoHD to the place with the BetaSP deck I want to test this downconverted movie and the IoHD. I'm hooking the IoHD up to my TV via S-Video cable and St RCA, I have sound but no picture. When I go to the analog Out tab in the Contol Panel all I have is Component options. I IoHD is set up for 525i 29.97 for primary and secondary so Y+C should be available.

Any help suggests would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Playback Problem w/ IoHD
on Mar 30, 2009 at 12:07:49 pm

[Michael Sacci] "Video plays for less then a second and then I get the Stopped Dropped frames. The drives are not the issue, "

Then what other apps are running on your computer?

Why are you so sure it is not the drives?

Has the file for playback been completely rendered to a new file -then output?

Lastly- make sure you are using the IoHD 6.03 driver and that the firmware was UPDATED correctly.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 30, 2009 at 1:35:36 pm

No other app, other than the control panel, is running.

The drive's read test is high enough, plus if I hook it up to my MacPro it plays off this same drive with no problem. The sequence also plays back just fine if video out is turned off. So I guess I would say I'm pretty sure it is not the drive.

The video file is a self contained movie exported from a fully rendered sequence.

AJA 6.0.03 is installed and lastest firmware is on the IoHD.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 30, 2009 at 1:53:02 pm

[Michael Sacci] "No other app, other than the control panel, is running."

you sure? nothing like Font Reserve , Itunes, your clock in pinging for time,
you have file sharing on, you are running a network manager on your machine, or a compressor node?

the fact that it runs on the desktop and not the laptop makes me wonder even more that it is something on your laptop.

Are you sure you are using the Psf setting and not the P setting.
NTSC output needs to be at using one of the 525i 29.97 settings, with component out set to SMPTE

Try your setup without video first- just use bars generated from the Kona Control panel.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 30, 2009 at 2:06:52 pm

[gary adcock] "your clock in pinging for time"
Lord no, I would be in the looney bin with pinging going on!

I'm going to make tapes this morning (I do this off site) I will double check network stuff and other recommendations.

I have a downconverted SD version so I should be able to get my tapes made one way or the other, I just would like to get all the kinks out.

Thanks, will get back to you soon.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 30, 2009 at 6:14:23 pm

I had the airport card turned off before, this time went to the system prefs and turned off all the sharing, screen, file and bluetooth and the timeline played back fine with 1080sf23.98 with analog out component 529i29.97.

The one thing that I notice is that this downconvert looked different (darker, crushed blacks) then the downconvert I did with the Kona3 to IoHD.

Hate not having decks to really test everything out, always chasing problems with no time to really get a workflow and settings down.

Anyway, thanks for your help Gary.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 30, 2009 at 7:45:27 pm

[Michael Sacci] "The one thing that I notice is that this downconvert looked different (darker, crushed blacks) then the downconvert I did with the Kona3 to IoHD. "

Perahps it's the diference between SMPTE and Betacam component color spaces and/or your setting for setup (0 or 7.5).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Mar 30, 2009 at 8:09:21 pm

I liked the downconvert that I did with the Kona3 to IoHD so the Kona was doing the downconvert via SDI.

I tried both components and setups and of course the 0 setup was even darker.

I have a Grade 1 SD monitor w/SDI coming my way and I'm going to be able to A/B my Kona vs IoHD tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 30, 2009 at 8:16:35 pm

[Michael Sacci] "I liked the downconvert that I did with the Kona3 to IoHD so the Kona was doing the downconvert via SDI. "

Cool. So in that case, you had no choice in color space or setup.

With the ioHD tests you did, you have the color space options as you are going out analog. For beta, I'd choose beta component, and also make sure that your monitor is set to receive Beta component color space. You should see a difference as the Beta color space is different from SMPTE and of course, there's the analog vs digital setup level. These two factors could account for what you are seeing in the color and crushed blacks.

Curious to hear about your a/b.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]