FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCProHD --> IO HD -- MacBookPro

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Freyder
DVCProHD --> IO HD -- MacBookPro
on Mar 27, 2009 at 6:09:55 pm

I have a studio (chroma key) shoot coming up that will be shot with Panansonic AJ-HDX900. We're shooting 720 (probably 59.94, but we're flexible). I would like to use the AJA IO HD to bring the signal into my MacBookPro (specs below) as ProRes HQ. Everything I see in documentation looks solid. Are there any real world gotchas or things to consider?

My other option is to shoot XDCam with the SONY PDW-530.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro System Specs:
2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

--
Mike Freyder //

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: DVCProHD --> IO HD -- MacBookPro
on Mar 27, 2009 at 6:29:24 pm

You should be just fine. I use this method a lot and your keys will come out looking great. I would suggest some faster SATA storage (you didn't mention what kind) that runs off of the Express34 card. that way you plug your ioHD in to the MBP and run your storage off of a different bus.

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 27, 2009 at 6:54:45 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You should be just fine."

Let me add one note of caution to Jeremy's wisdom.

You have to use Aja's Capture App to be able to receive the camera TC via LTC, as FCP does not understand TC from anything but serial.

http://www.aja.com/ajashare/AJA_VTR_Xchangev4.tar

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 27, 2009 at 7:16:09 pm

Thanks, Gary. I forgot the little but extremely important detail.

Michael, just make sure to test test test.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Freyder
on Mar 27, 2009 at 7:27:48 pm

Thank you Gary. Your post on ProVideoCoalition.com played a large part in our plans to move our facility to use of ProRes.

Thanks for the help.

--
Mike Freyder //

Return to posts index

Michael Freyder
on Mar 27, 2009 at 7:23:17 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I would suggest some faster SATA storage (you didn't mention what kind) that runs off of the Express34 card."

Thank you for the quick response.

Will I need the 'Pro' version of the Express34 card? Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34

And do you use the Sonnet Fusion™ F2 in your setup?

--
Mike Freyder //

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 27, 2009 at 7:31:04 pm

[Michael Freyder] "Will I need the 'Pro' version of the Express34 card?"

I don't have it, but I'd highly recommend it if you're buying one. It really makes a big difference in speed.

[Michael Freyder] "And do you use the Sonnet Fusion™ F2 in your setup? "

Sure do. Love it, love it, love it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Richard Fomo
on Oct 27, 2009 at 5:47:32 pm

Hi all.

I recently used a Macbook Pro/ioHD system nearly identical to the one used by the gentleman who started this thread to capture DVCProHD 720p59.94 to ProRes 8-bit 720p59.94, full raster, square pixel aspect, because I captured the footage using a deck and HD-SDI. Shouldn't be a problem, right? That seemed to be the consensus in this thread.

I'm tacking my issue on to this thread because the good news here should apply to me, but I'm not getting the result I would have expected. My Prores media, captured as described, has little real-time playback capability. With playback quality set to "unlimited real time" and medium video quality, the playback frequently drops frames or, when I turn the warning off, just freezes while the audio continues. This happens if I add any filter or any motion effect or any Motion clip. If its got a green bar (or orange), it doesn't go. The media is playing off a Sonnet Fusion D-500 RAID with a Sonnet SATA Pro expresscard. For comparison, I imported some Prores 720p29.97 media that I still have from another, older project. This media was transcoded from Xdcam 1080p29.97 in Compressor. The transcoded Prores still has impressive real-time playback with several filters and several clips composited on top of each other. No dropped frames with the same settings for "real time" as noted.

Any idea of what happened? What could have gone wrong? How do I ensure that I don't get this result again? My work-around was to edit in SD which was OK because the final delivery was DVD and WMV. I used a rented deck, the AJ-1200 I think.

My system:
Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz Core 2 Duo
6 GB DDR SDRAM2 667 Mhz
7200 RPM boot drive
Sonnet Fusion D-500 RAID
Sonnet SATA Pro expresscard
ioHD v. 6.03
FCP v, 6.04

Thanks,
Richard Fomo

Richard Fomo Video
3 Edge Hill St., unit 1
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 27, 2009 at 7:29:50 pm

You have the proper drivers and have updated the ioHD firmware?

For FCP 6, you need version 6.0.3 of the drivers. Try an uninstall and reinstall of the drivers.

Also 720p60 has double the frame rate of 720p30. You will lose some rt effects, but you should be able to play this back in rt at the very least.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Richard Fomo
on Oct 28, 2009 at 4:10:13 am

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, the firmware is up to date and the drivers are version 6.0.3. This was the first time I captured DVCPROHD from tape in this particular way. I didn't notice any obvious problems during the capture except that random clips would fail to capture occasionally due to a "timecode break" that wasn't real. I just started the capture again with the same in and out points (not actually leaving that batch capture session) and it would invariably work the second time. Does this reflect in any way on my issue? I was thinking it didn't. I just recently installed the OS (10.5.8) and all the software, but I won't have an opportunity to recreate this for a while. The camera used to shoot the footage was the HDX-900; AJ-1200 deck to capture. And you're thinking that the higher frame rate by itself wouldn't be enough to bump up against the limits of real time playback on this Macbook Pro?

I had really hoped to avoid transcoding in Compressor in the future. Any other ideas?

Richard Fomo Video
3 Edge Hill St., unit 1
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 28, 2009 at 3:29:11 pm

[Richard Fomo] "I didn't notice any obvious problems during the capture except that random clips would fail to capture occasionally due to a "timecode break" that wasn't real. "

I used to get that all the time on the 1200. It's annoying as all get out. Make sure your deck control is set to Panasonic 59.94.

You are capturing to ProRes, right? Not the DVCPro HD codec?[Richard Fomo] "And you're thinking that the higher frame rate by itself wouldn't be enough to bump up against the limits of real time playback on this Macbook Pro?"

A little. You will lose some rt effects, but you shoudl be able to playback without a problem.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]