FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook Pro with FCP6 won't play native XDCAM EX thru IoHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Frank
MacBook Pro with FCP6 won't play native XDCAM EX thru IoHD
on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:58:56 am

I can't get my late model MacBook Pro (2.8GHZ Core 2 Duo, with 4GB of RAM, OSX 10.5.6, and FCP 6.0.5) to play back native XDCAM EX files shot on a Sony EX-1, through my AJA IoHD (vs 6.0.3).

I got the Io unit a couple of months ago and it has been playing PRORes HD and other SD formats rather nicely.

I finally got my own EX-1 and noticed my system will not play either my newly transferred files (using Sony's XDCAM Transfer 2.9.0) or some of my older files retrieved from my old job which had several EX-1s and Mac workstations using AJA Kona-3 cards.

My raid drives are pumping out an average read rate of 115MB/s (with a big B) through an eSATA card in the Express 34 port.

The XDCAM EX files will play nicely in the viewer or canvas window but when I try to play it through the IoHD (1080i ProRes 29.97 422 1920x1080 and the appropriate settings in the Io control panel), the canvas and viewer windows play OK, but the IoHD video freezes after playing a frame or two. This is with my sequence setup for playing back XDCAM EX files.

If I go to a sequence set up with the ProRes codec, everything plays back nicely onces all of the XDCAM files have been rendered to the ProRes codec.

Any thoughts!

Ron Frank
Frank Films

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: MacBook Pro with FCP6 won't play native XDCAM EX thru IoHD
on Mar 27, 2009 at 1:11:21 pm

[Ron Frank] "If I go to a sequence set up with the ProRes codec, everything plays back nicely onces all of the XDCAM files have been rendered to the ProRes codec. "

Therein lies the issue frank, the IoHD was engineered to be a ProRes box, and anything you pass thru it needs to be in ProRes or be on a fast enough machine to convert in realtime to that codec.

Since the XDCam captures are based on Long GOP Mpeg codecs, the conversion does require rendering to ProRes for realtime playback.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Ron Frank
Re: MacBook Pro with FCP6 won't play native XDCAM EX thru IoHD
on Mar 27, 2009 at 3:37:20 pm

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

Return to posts index