FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hd 2 Sd

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Boyle
Hd 2 Sd
on Mar 26, 2009 at 12:26:59 pm

Been using the IO HD to output from FCP 6.03 - I shot HD 1920 x 1080 then want to output to SD PAL 625i digibeta - I notice that the SD version given out through the IOHD is not full height and it appears slightly squashed with black bars top and bottom and no matter which settings i try i cannot get full height down conversion through the AJA IO HD.

The only solution i have found is to nest the 1920 x 1080 sequence into an AJA 10 bit 720 x 576 sequence which then takes 2 hours to render...

Any thoughts....

Cheers

Andy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Hd 2 Sd
on Mar 26, 2009 at 2:02:02 pm

[Andy Boyle] "I notice that the SD version given out through the IOHD is not full height and it appears slightly squashed with black bars top and bottom and no matter which settings i try i cannot get full height down conversion through the AJA IO HD."

Why not?

in the Kona Control panel under format the "Secondary (Converted) Format" setting allows you to set your downconvert your content as

Letterbox (black top and bottom)
Anamorphic (wide screen horizontally compressed to fill a 4x3 frame)
Crop - (4x3 center cut of your source)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Andy Boyle
on Mar 26, 2009 at 2:33:53 pm

Hey Gary - Thanks for your response.

I have tried all the different settings in the secondaries - Anamorphic should be the correct setting but for some reason the sdi output feed is not giving me full height anamorphic...

I ingest 1920 x 1080 prores HQ then supply the final edited piece pal 16:9 SD pal onto digi beta.

Can the IO HD convert a 1920 x 1080 prores codec into a 10 bit uncompressed SD realtime?

Andy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 26, 2009 at 6:49:59 pm

[Andy Boyle] "Can the IO HD convert a 1920 x 1080 prores codec into a 10 bit uncompressed SD realtime? "

Yes. I do this on a daily basis.

Since the box was designed to handle ProRes ( @ 10bit) all of the output signals are 10bit except composite, which i believe is only an 8bit signal (but I do not remember)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 27, 2009 at 5:28:07 am

works fine here too. I have the ioHD.

sorry if this is to obvious but do you change the setting in the ioHD control panel for up, down or SD to SD conversion?
you should set the down conversion to anamorphic.

Also by any chance does your monitor display the 16x9 anamorphic as letterbox?

other then the 2 possibilities above I would have no idea and think myself there is a hardware problem?

Cheers

Carsten

Return to posts index

Andy Boyle
on Mar 27, 2009 at 12:54:05 pm

Hey Carsten

Thanks for your reply - I don't think it is a monitor issue. If i do the conversion in final cut by nesting the 1920x1080 project into a 720x576 10 bit sequence it appears as full height anamorphic on the monitor. I must be making a schoolboy error somewhere in the control panel.

Andy

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Mar 27, 2009 at 1:12:38 pm

[Carsten Orlt] "Also by any chance does your monitor display the 16x9 anamorphic as letterbox?
"

OOhh I forgot that some SD monitors can do this....

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Mar 27, 2009 at 10:48:58 pm

Arrogance is a kingdom without a crown.
-American Proverb-

Carsten

Return to posts index

Andy Boyle
on Mar 28, 2009 at 1:00:04 am

assumption is the mother of all f**k ups...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]