FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing PDW-F75

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Jordan
Syncing PDW-F75
on Feb 13, 2009 at 3:18:54 pm

I have a PDW-F75 XDCAM deck connected to the IOHD through the SDI in and out connections. It works fine when I capture video to Final Cut Pro. However, I seem to have sync problems when I try to use "Input passthrough" in the IOHD. All the outputs, (HDMI and analog monitoring) flash green lines and jump around when I try to play out of the F75. If I disconnect the SDI In on the F75 while playing back, everything stabilizes. Do I need to sync the F75 deck with the IOHD? How do I do that? Thanks.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Syncing PDW-F75
on Feb 13, 2009 at 3:34:49 pm

[Mitch Jordan] "Do I need to sync the F75 deck with the IOHD? How do I do that? Thanks."

no.

sounds as if you have the reference set to free run rather than incoming video as the source.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 13, 2009 at 4:21:59 pm

[Mitch Jordan] "If I disconnect the SDI In on the F75 while playing back, everything stabilizes. "

Yes as you are breaking the feedback loop. If you have the ioHD between the PDW75 and itself (in to out to in to out) and you open the floodgates on the ioHD (input passthrough) you might see some weirdness in the form of feedback. What exactly are you trying to do? Perhaps we can recreate a clean path for you.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Feb 13, 2009 at 5:10:26 pm

I use this deck to ingest to Final Cut Pro, and to write from Final Cut Pro back to disk. That's why I have 2 cables: IOHD SDI out to F75 SDI in, and F75 SDI out to IOHD SDI in. I think I'm definitely getting some kind of feedback loop. The only time I have trouble is when I try to just play video from the F75 disk. I change the "control" tab in the AJA Control Panel to "Input Passthrough", and everything goes haywire. I'm monitoring on an LCD TV through HDMI and a Beta SP deck through the analog out (downconverted). If I unplug the SDI in at the F75, it all clears up.

I did try changing "Genlock" on the IOHD to "Video In", but it didn't help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 13, 2009 at 5:17:46 pm

[Mitch Jordan] "That's why I have 2 cables: IOHD SDI out to F75 SDI in, and F75 SDI out to IOHD SDI in."

Yes, I understand. That's how it should be hooked up.

[Mitch Jordan] "The only time I have trouble is when I try to just play video from the F75 disk. I change the "control" tab in the AJA Control Panel to "Input Passthrough", and everything goes haywire."

I don't understand why you are changing to input passthrough to do this? You can open FCP's log and capture and play it that way, or hook your deck directly to a monitor. Input passthrough simply passes through the video and that will confuse the deck as it's receving the same signal it's sending, thus feeding back. In input passthrough you might as well have hooked the SDI output of the deck to the SDi input of the deck. Hope that makes sense.

I can't believe I used the word thus.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Feb 13, 2009 at 10:16:35 pm

Thank you for your help, Jeremy. I understand what you're saying. I'm definitely confusing the IOHD. I'm using the IOHD for monitoring for a couple of reasons: I don't have a true HD monitor, yet. I'm monitoring on an HDTV set with only 1 HDMI in, and I don't think the F75 gives me a HDMI out. Also, I simultaneously check the picture on an SD monitor, downconverted to 525i. That way I can make sure everything is in 4x3 safe.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 13, 2009 at 10:26:41 pm

You are confusing the deck, not the ioHD.

If oyu need to watch footage from your deck through the ioHD, then open the log and capture window or use VTR Exchange and don't put the ioHD in passthrough mode. Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mitch Jordan
on Feb 13, 2009 at 11:13:25 pm

What is VTR Exchange? I've been simply unplugging the SDI in on the deck when I'm trying to play out- that may be the best answer after all. I plug it back in when I need to record again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 14, 2009 at 12:19:08 am

Yes, as that closes the feedback loop. That will do it to.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]