FORUMS: list search recent posts

Scan Converter

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Shea
Scan Converter
on Jan 26, 2009 at 10:50:48 pm

Hello

I have the need to capture HD video from a scan converter. The converter will output 1080i video through a multipin connector (HD 15 Connector). I have an adapter to convert the output to a component feed (RGB lines). What would my settings be on FCP/aja to capture this in 1080i?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Scan Converter
on Jan 26, 2009 at 11:17:45 pm

[Lawrence Shea] "What would my settings be on FCP/aja to capture this in 1080i?"

AJA KONA (your card) 1080 29.97i should work.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:13:49 pm

Thanks Gary. I've been trouble shooting for a few hours and can't get it... I now have the output of the scanner set to 1080p. I plugged the component line into my HDTV and can see the signal. When I plug the component line (RGB) into the aja iohd, finalcut isn't recognizing it. I fear that I'm over my head and will continue my search but I'd appreciate any additional thoughts that you or anyone may have.

THanks

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:36:03 pm

[Lawrence Shea] " I now have the output of the scanner set to 1080p."

These kinds of Scanners do not output P only I and usually only at 60i

[Lawrence Shea] "When I plug the component line (RGB) into the aja iohd, finalcut isn't recognizing it."

well gee- how is the IoHD setup and what does the control panel say is the incoming video signal?
( it will tell you what it sees coming in over baseband)

Did you choose the analog capture settings in the IoHD control panel? ---this CANNOT be done in FCP!

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Jan 27, 2009 at 6:35:01 pm

AJA control panel is telling me that I'm getting a 1080i 29.97 signal.

"Did you choose the analog capture settings in the IoHD control panel? ---this CANNOT be done in FCP!"

So it seems like I'd need a scan converter that outputs 1080i through an SDI or HDMI connection? Perhaps I'll post a message on the cow to get model recommendations...

Thanks Gary

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Jan 27, 2009 at 3:25:13 pm

What model is the scan converter. Many of them have settings for either RGB or YUV output.

-mark

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:21:29 pm

Thanks

It's a Comprehensive CVG-724xl. I'll take a look. Should it be set to rgb?

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:44:25 pm

The manual says that the output is a "RGBHV (VGA)". I don't think that it's adjustable.

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Jan 27, 2009 at 6:01:00 pm

From the Comprehensive Site:

"The unit has three additional output modes: 480p, 720p and 1080i in component format with tri-level sync."

You want the 1080i output -- connect that analog to the Kona via RGB cable; the Tri-Level sync output can also be hooked to the Kona's genlock input for additional stability.

From the Kona control panel you want analog input, component - probably Beta Levels and you can set the genlock to the tri-level input instead of free-run.

They don't say what the frame rate is, but you can probably get that from whatever the genlock input says the tri-level sync is.

-mark

-- edited since I thought he had an IoHD

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:38:14 pm

Thanks Mark. Still no go. Based on input from Gary, it seems like I can't input a 1080i signal through the component (analog) input with FCP.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 28, 2009 at 12:30:18 am

[Lawrence Shea] "Based on input from Gary, it seems like I can't input a 1080i signal through the component (analog) input with FCP."

that is not what I said.

I said that you could not select the input in FCP- you have to manually do it in the Kona Control panel so that the line runs from the ANALOG arrow to the frame buffer.

if the signal is correct there is no reason that you should have issue with capturing 1080i60 over component, I do it all the time.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 28, 2009 at 4:02:11 am

Larry, Larry, Larry -

listen buddy, are you using the VGA output with a converter or breakout cable ? WHY ? This unit has RCA outputs that give you Y Pb Pr. You set the unit for HD anlaog component Y Pb Pr, and it will work. USE THE RCA OUTPUTS, not the VGA output (with external H+V sync).

From the comprehensive site -
The unit has three additional output modes: 480p, 720p and 1080i in component format with tri-level sync

This means that you can accept a 525 NTSC signal, a DVCProHD 720p signal, or a full HD signal at 1080i.

This is what you are going to do. You are going to get RCA to BNC adaptors from Radio Shack (3 of them). You are going to take 3 BNC cables and come out of your scaler into your AJA I/O HD. (This is an AJA I/O HD - and not an IO - am I correct ?).
You will open up your AJA Control Panel (and close FCP). Open up the FORMAT TAB, and select a format (like 525 NTSC, or 720p, or 1080i) that matches what you are outputting from your Comprehensive Scaler product. If the format tab doesn't match what your Comprehensive is putting out, NOTHING is going to work.

Now, you have the Y Pb Pr signals from the Comprehensive RCA outputs going into the Y Pb Pr inputs of the AJA I/O HD. Go to the input tab, and select ANALOG COMPONENT Y Pb Pr , not SDI, not composite, not S-Video.

You have not stated what montior you are using, but I will assume that you are using a component monitor (is it HD component or just analog ntsc commponent). If it's HD component, take the Y Pb Pr outputs of the I/O HD and go into your TV component inputs. Click on your ANALOG TAB, and make sure that it's on component. You should see a picture on your TV.

Dont waste time with FCP until you get this working with the AJA Control Panel.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Lawrence Shea
on Jan 31, 2009 at 1:51:05 pm

Guys

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH! Through the advice of all of your posts, I got it... LONG LIVE THE COW!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]