FORUMS: list search recent posts

No Audio Monitoring with IO

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Coleman
No Audio Monitoring with IO
on Jan 24, 2009 at 10:38:24 pm

This has worked many times in the last six months but for some reason today I do not have audio monitoring from FCP using the IO, I just see video on my external monitor. The audio meters in FCP are blank as well. The "Firewire" light on the front of the IO is lit.

If I switch to an Easy Setup of NTSC DV for example then I can hear via the digital output of the computer and the audio meters move as expected.

I've trashed FCP prefs, repaired system permissions, uninstalled and reinstalled the v3 IO drivers to no avail. SOMETHING has changed, but I don't know what.

Any ideas?

FCP 6.0.4
MacBookPro 17" 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB Ram
OS 10.5.5
QT 7.5.5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: No Audio Monitoring with IO
on Jan 25, 2009 at 5:58:44 pm

If FCPs audio meters are blank, that would usually point to no audio in your sequence. DOuble check that it is in fact there (turn on your audio waveforms, command-option-w).

Select an io easy setup and then make sure in the View > External VIdeo is set to all frames

View > VIdeo Playback is set to the io and the proper resolution/frame rate

View > Audio Playback to audio follows video.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 25, 2009 at 8:30:19 pm

Thanks for your response. Perhaps I wasn't clear in the first post regarding FCP's audio meter.

The only change I make to get audio on FCP meters is to change the playback Easy Setup from an IO easy setup to "DV NTSC". The NTSC Bars in the Viewer play with tone in the meters when I'm NOT using an IO easy setup. There's no tone seen on the meters when using and IO easy setup. (I've proven this with a sequence as well, but for explanatory purposes the old Bars in the Viewer is fixed/not changing between the two easy setups.)
The other settings you mentioned have been checked and triple checked.

Other ideas?

Love,
Jeff

Final Cut Studio 5.1, G5 2GHz Dual Processr, 2.5Gb RAM, AJA IO

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2009 at 9:54:13 pm

Doesn't make any sense, Jeff as the FCP internal meters are not controlled or influenced by the io.

Try this with a sequence and not from the preview window. Put bars and tone in a sequence if you have to. Put an aiff in the sequence or video that you know has good audio.

Make a new sequence. Check the master audio levels in your mixer (option-6) and make sure nothing is muted. Make sure that your audio tracks are on and not off, make sure the clip is enabled and not disabled. Make sure none of the audio tracks are soloed. There's a number of ways to turn off the audio in FCP.

There's obviously something wrong with something you have setup, but I assure you the io is not doing anything to 'mute' the audio in FCP.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 26, 2009 at 2:40:16 am

Hi Jeff,
I don't love you. This is what you are going to do. You better own a VTR or at least an audio mixer. You are going to close FCP. You are going to play back your VTR (with some audio on the tape), or sing into a microphone that goes into a mixer whose output is plugged into your I/O, and monitor the output of your AJA I/O. You will open the Pro I/O Control Panel (do you have this application from AJA on your MAC) - click on the input tab, make sure that ANALOG is selected in the audio area (lower left hand side), and you should hear audio RIGHT NOW. Do you ? If you don't, turn off the I/O (power off), and turn it back on. Open the Control Panel again, click on INPUT tab, select analog audio again - do you hear any audio ? DO YOU? If you don't, your I/O is dead. If you do hear audio, you have an FCP problem

Open up FCP, open up a NEW PROJECT - select something like ProI/O Betacam 8 bit uncompressed. Click on LOG AND CAPTURE. You are still playing the tape. Do you hear audio now ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 26, 2009 at 4:18:18 am

Bob, great answer! Thanks. Good old fashioned troubleshooting. Let me respond accordingly:

[Bob Zelin] "You are going to close FCP. You are going to play back your VTR (with some audio on the tape), or sing into a microphone that goes into a mixer whose output is plugged into your I/O, and monitor the output of your AJA I/O. You will open the Pro I/O Control Panel (do you have this application from AJA on your MAC) - click on the input tab, make sure that ANALOG is selected in the audio area (lower left hand side), and you should hear audio RIGHT NOW. Do you ?"

No.

[Bob Zelin] "If you don't, turn off the I/O (power off), and turn it back on. Open the Control Panel again, click on INPUT tab, select analog audio again - do you hear any audio ? DO YOU?"

Yes.

[Bob Zelin] "If you do hear audio, you have an FCP problem

Open up FCP, open up a NEW PROJECT - select something like ProI/O Betacam 8 bit uncompressed. Click on LOG AND CAPTURE. You are still playing the tape. Do you hear audio now ?"

No.
Then for a few seconds I had it again. Closed the Log & Capture window, tried playing bars from the Viewer and no go. Opened the L&C window again and nothing. (again). Switched apps to the IO Control Panel and I hear my incoming mixer tone. I switch back to the L&C window still open in FCP and I hear tone. So I close the L&C window and tone goes away (so far so good). Then I open the L&C window and no tone. Furthermore, I switched apps to the IO Control Panel and I heard tone. Switched back to FCP and open the L&C window and I hear nothing.

So I have a FCP problem? Could some recently installed app be conflicting with the IO?

I still love you Bob. But only in the agape' sense. (No, I don't care what Jeremy says about you.)

Speaking of Jeremy,
[Jeremy Garchow] "Doesn't make any sense, Jeff as the FCP internal meters are not controlled or influenced by the io."

Doesn't make sense to me either, but I tried switching to something like an EX XDCAM easy setup and audio played fine on the meters. It's only when I'm in an IO easy setup that I get no audio on the meters.

I follow your trouble shooting about playing back a known good sequence and indeed I have with the same result. (But IMHO I still think the Bars source is a better one that ought to play tone in these setups rather than monkeying with a potential handful of variables from using a sequence as a known good source.)

Any other ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 26, 2009 at 4:38:57 am

Actually, I've discovered that even staying within the IO Easy Setup and simply changing View/Audio Playback to "Built-in Output" will get audio (hear on its monitors and see on FCP meters); changing to "ProIO Out" will get no audio (don't hear on its monitors and don't see on FCP meters).

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2009 at 4:47:07 am

What is your io hooked up to?

Acutally, what else is hooked up to your system? Pull any other firewire devices.

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 26, 2009 at 4:51:04 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "What is your io hooked up to?"

Input -- Shure Audio Mixer generating tone.
Interface -- FW400 to MacBookPro
Output -- PreSonus Central Station/ Sony analog monitor component inputs.

Does this answer your question?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:00:32 am

Media drives?

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:06:13 am

Media Drives = eSata striped pair RAID 0. According to my AJA KONA System Disk Whack Test perform at 127MB/s Write and 126 MB/s read using 4GB file size for a 720x486 8-bit frame. Oooooodles for DV (which is what I'm working on for this project) but I did try to switch my capture/scratch to the internal just to see if it would make a difference and it didn't.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:11:21 am

Okay, is you dv camera hooked up to your laptop?

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:15:43 am

No camera. Only a vtr and only for capture. It is not hooked up at the same time the IO is (they both use the FW400 connection anyway so I have to unplug one and plug in the other). IO is only for playback in this setup.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2009 at 5:35:26 am

Okay.

Choose the AJA io 8bit to DV easy setup.

Make a new sequence.

Drag the appropriate bars and tone into your sequence and hit play. No sound?

If not, hit option-6 to bring up your audio mixer and tell me how many output busses you have there and try hitting the down-mix button (the little button that looks like two speakers back to back). I am thinking your sequence or audio outputs are mapped wrong out of FCP as your io seems to be working as it passed audio and video. I highly recommend making sequence and don't use the Viewer for this test as the Viewer can sometime have a mind of its own. Once media is in a sequence it is forced out of the io's frame buffer if everything is setup correctly.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 26, 2009 at 12:51:54 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Make a new sequence.

Drag the appropriate bars and tone into your sequence and hit play. No sound?"

No sound.

[Jeremy Garchow] "bring up your audio mixer and tell me how many output busses you have there and try hitting the down-mix button"

Looks like one stereo master output. Downmix button makes no difference.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 27, 2009 at 2:53:20 am

wait, wait, wait.
I still don't understand your wacked out audio monitoring system with the shure mixer and presonius that is attached to your speakers. You say that you hear audio from the "Mac Audio". Exactly HOW is your audio wired ? do you have the MAC Audio line output going into your shure mixer, or into your presonius ?

I have a bad feeling that you are properly monitoring the MAC audio output, but are not properly monitioring the audio output of your I/O. Exactly where is the I/O output plugged into? Where are those XLR outputs of the I/O plugged into ? Tell me !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
on Jan 27, 2009 at 3:20:24 am

[Bob Zelin] "Exactly HOW is your audio wired ? do you have the MAC Audio line output going into your shure mixer, or into your presonius ?"

The Mac Audio digital output does not go into the Shure mixer. It goes into the digital input of the PreSonus. The Shure mixer is getting it's tone from its own oscillator.

[Bob Zelin] "Exactly where is the I/O output plugged into? Where are those XLR outputs of the I/O plugged into ?"

The Tascam multi-pin output of the IO is going into one of the analog inputs of the PreSonus.

It's been that way for years, nothing new there. Even if it were wired weird it wouldn't explain the disappearance of audio from the FCP meters.

Hector at AJA went over it with me in great detail this morning and we still couldn't figure it out. We're both guessing some sort of software bug at this point. Great support over there nevertheless.

I'm going to try and pull my old G5 out of the closet and make sure the IO works with it. If it does, then I'm going to reinstall Final Cut Studio (oooouch).

Thanks for your help. I'll post back when I learn something. Well, actually I've already learned quite a bit (including the stand alone IO test and always, always clone before doing a software install.)

Love,
Jeff

Final Cut Studio 5.1, G5 2GHz Dual Processr, 2.5Gb RAM, AJA IO

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
Can't Locate IO
on Apr 8, 2009 at 8:30:55 pm

Over the last couple of days I finally got around to reinstalling software on my MacBookPro 2.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB 667 MHz RAM.

FRESH: I started with a new internal drive. New OS. Latest and greatest updates, permissions repair after every install, etc. New Final Cut Studio install with latest and greatest updates.
OS X 10.5.6, FCP 6.0.5

WORSE: Now the IO problem is worse. Final Cut says it can't even locate the device. Hardware profile sees the IO on the firewire bus. The AJA IO Control Panel seems to talk to the device just fine.

HMMM?: The boys at AJA are stumped at the moment.
If I boot from a clone with FCP 6.0.3 then the IO works just fine.

NOW WHAT?: Do I need to reinstall FCS again?

Return to posts index

Jeff Coleman
Re: Can't Locate IO Forget that last post.
on Apr 8, 2009 at 11:21:25 pm

Operator Error.
Ignore last posting.
Oh the pain of it all.
Don't forget in addition to the preset packages to install the ProIODrivers.pkg as well.
all working well now.
sorry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]