FORUMS: list search recent posts

Current IO compatibility?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Isroelit
Current IO compatibility?
on Jan 18, 2009 at 4:45:20 pm

I've pulled my trusty IO of mothballs to digitize some old 3/4" and Beta Tapes. In the time since it was last up and running, I've upgraded my machine from a G4 running Tiger, to a Intel with Leopard, and I have upgraded from FCP5 to FCP6. I was searching the AJA website for a list of compatible FCP/QT/OS combination, and came up blank.

After plumbing it back into my system, I find that the IO hardware works well. From the control panel, I can switch between input and output sources. My initial attempts to capture from my IO into FCP 6.0.4 have failed. With all external FW devices unplugged, I can not get video in the capture window. I tried easy setups after installing the 3.0 drivers...and then I created my own setups. I was able...for a brief period of time, able to capture video by disabling audio in my preset. But after a some poking around and some restarts, I'm no longer able to do that anymore.

Any ideas what the most current versions of FCP and QT will work with the AJA IO? I mostly cut HDV video now...so I keep my system up to date.

Thanks,

Sean

MacPro 2x2.8x4 | OSX 10.5.5 | FCP 6.0.4

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Current IO compatibility?
on Jan 18, 2009 at 10:05:18 pm

The old original AJA I/O from the stone age works with every new MAC, and is still a CURRENT PRODUCT that works great, and is the perfect addition to any AJA Kona 3.

Download the AJA Control Panel, and open it. It probably says UPDATE FIRMWARE. DO IT ! It takes about 3-4 minutes. Don't interupt this process. When you are done, test the I/O with the control panel (not with FCP). Then, if it works (and it will work), test it with FCP. If it does not work with FCP, uninstall your drivers, and reinstall your drivers.

Bob zelin

Return to posts index

sean Isroelit
on Jan 22, 2009 at 12:35:25 am

Thanks. I was hoping it would work. But I still can't get FCP to properly recognize the hardware. I get the "Preview Disable" screen instead of video, and my external monitor (component out of IO) only displays a black screen. When I close the "Log and Capture" window and use the IO control panel I can switch between inputs and the image displays on my monitor. I used the Uninstaller application to remove the drivers...and then reinstalled them, but it still didn't work. I have deck control and audio, but i am unable to capture.

As a test, I hooked the AJA IO up to my laptop running 10.5.2, QT 7.5.5, and FCP 6.0 and everything worked as it should.

So, it seems like it's defiantly my MacPro. If I know that it will work on OS 10.5.5 then perhaps it's a FCP 6.0.3. I guess I could re-install FCP studio and see if reverting to 6.0 fixes it. Any thoughts on that? I hate having to do a re-install. Should I get rid of other quicktime plug-ins...like flip4mac? Maybe that's the first place to start.

~sean

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jan 22, 2009 at 12:48:24 am

[sean Isroelit] "So, it seems like it's defiantly my MacPro. If I know that it will work on OS 10.5.5 then perhaps it's a FCP 6.0.3."

why don't you call tech support- they will walk you thru the steps to get it working.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 22, 2009 at 3:27:47 am

always test your IO box with the AJA Pro Control Panel, before running FCP. Forget FCP, use the Control Panel to test your AJA product.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jan 22, 2009 at 6:02:04 pm

I use the original IO on my Mac Pro 10.5.5 with FCP 6.0.5 and it's a little finicky at times, but it's been good to me. The only thing I've noticed is occasionally signal to my broadcast monitor doesn't get updated. When that happens, if I disable external monitor and then enable it again (cmd-f12) it comes back fine.

The only other issue I've had with it, is that for the life of me I cannot get it to accept my xlr mic to be used for the VO tool (even after disabling external monitoring) but I only record scratch audio anyway, so I've been cheating by running a line out of my mixer into the Mac Pro line in.

When you installed the software, did you install both the digital and analog packages? Otherwise, like Gary mention, I would recommend calling AJA, their tech support is top notch.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Jan 23, 2009 at 4:23:14 pm

A Mic straight into the IO does not work since the input is line level and not mic level. Your Mic may also need 48v Phantom power which the IO will never supply.

Back to the topic; I am guessing there is something finicky with the IO driver install on the MacPro. I'd call tech support as suggested -- they are really good.

-mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]