FORUMS: list search recent posts

VHS Audio via IO LA

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Bezet
VHS Audio via IO LA
on Jan 6, 2009 at 8:51:38 pm

I am trying to get video out of a VHS deck that only has S-Video and RCA audio out. I have successfully gotten video in through the IO, but when trying to route the audio through a Mackie board/mixer... I can't get anything.

I have monitored the audio while playing the tape and the deck is sending audio out.

I am trying to input the audio using RCA cords into the mixer and pipe audio out to the XLR cords/balanced audio input that comes with the IO LA.

The mixer has a red light flashing that says "Rude Solo Light" and I can't/don't get any audio levels.

I've never had to edit using an audio mixer, so it is probably a basic audio mixer operation that I am getting. Any help would be most appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: VHS Audio via IO LA
on Jan 6, 2009 at 10:59:33 pm

One of your channels has the Solo button pressed. "Unpress" it :)

Return to posts index

Alan Bezet
on Jan 7, 2009 at 2:51:12 pm

Thanks for the advice, I got that far after posting this. I then called AJA and I could not get audio back out of the main XLR audio outs. He had me play the audio, I got levels the tape button was depressed, the "assign to main mix" button was depressed and I could monitor the audio from the phones out.

The IO refused to see any audio coming out of the mixer and when we took audio out of one of the main XLR outs and plugged it into the back of our Beta SP UVW-1800 deck we were not able to get any levels on the front of the deck even when pressing record. The only advice AJA could give was to put 1/4 inch converters on the RCA out cords coming out of the VHS deck. I'm not sure that we have such converters.

We are using a Mackie 1202VLZ Pro-12 Channel Output board.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 7, 2009 at 9:32:45 pm

Are the 'Mute Alt3/4' buttons pressed on your mixer for those channels?

If so, 'unpress' them and you should get audio out to your mains.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alan Bezet
on Jan 9, 2009 at 8:18:08 pm

Thanks, got it working. Got the board problem fixed and then had issues with FCP, but it just kinda started working.

Gracias-Alan

Return to posts index

Tom Donnelly
on Mar 18, 2009 at 6:13:02 pm

I have no problem getting "some" audio in this scenario, s-video and RCA out of a VHS player, but for some reason one of the supposed stereo tracks is always nearly mute. The levels on the preview indicator are practically non-existent for the 2nd channel, no matter what I do, press or try, and then of course in the timeline I am left with one loud track and one with just a little noise, mainly. I pan the top track to the center and pray for the day I never have to capture from VHS again.

TD

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:06:28 pm

I know this is an old post, but I'm having trouble getting audio even hooked up properly between my IO la and my Mackie 1202. How do you route audio properly? I'm trying to capture clips from a DVD player. I can get video but no audio. Where does my RCA audio out from the DVD player go? And where do the XLR cables go to create the loop with the IO la box? Which buttons should be depressed on the mixer? Tape?

I had no problem with our Intensity Pro card and would use that but someone else has it on there machine now. Any thoughts? Am pretty familiar with FCS 2 but when it comes to set up & routing of audio and video I'm just beginning.

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Alan Bezet
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:21:52 pm

Alright keeping in mind that I'm on FCP 7.0 or rather the latest edition.Plug the RCA from the DVD player into your Mackie boards "Tape Input", this should be at the top of the Mackie Board next to the Mackie logo, I am describing a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro board btw.

Okay once you have those RCA's pluged in take the XLR cables and plug those into "Main Right" and "Main Left" Balanced XLR outputs, next to these outputs you should see a grey button called "Main Output Level" Press that In.

Now plug the other end of those XLR cables into the input of the IO, if you need to make a feedback loop plug the another set of Cable XLR audio out cables from the I/O's XLR out and plug the other XLR cables back into the boad at the Mic 1 and Mic 2 XLR inputs.

Make sure to use whatever AJA Io easy set up that you should be using in FCP, and then MAKE SURE that whatever your audio and video capture settings are that your AUDIO AND VIDEO PLAYBACK settings match those exactly.

What type of video are you ingesting this as?

Alan Bezet
Production Manager
Washington, D.C.
alan.bezet@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:33:35 pm

Thanks Alan. I'll try this.

I capture clips from movies to be used as mood videos and spec work to show clients what spots could look like. Which brings me to another question. Most movies are 24p. I know a consumer DVD player introduces pull down to play at 29.97. But the IO la can capture 24p or 23.98. Is this just a matter of selecting the 23.98 easy set up or is there a setting on the DVD player for this. I know once I select the progressive scan button on the DVD player things go weird. Other than using MPEG streamclip, which is a pain, can you capture 24p from a consumer DVD player?

OS 10.5.5, Mac Pro 2 x 3 ghz quad-core intel xenon, 9 gb ram, with BM Intensity Pro card

Return to posts index

Alan Bezet
on Sep 17, 2009 at 8:37:13 pm

No really sure. The rub is, if you set the easy setup to 23.98, will the 30 fps signal be recognized by the system or I/o? Sorry to be blunt about it, but you'll just have to try it. If it recognizes the signal then you should IN THEORY be able to transcode to 23.94 fps on ingest. Best of luck, even though MPEG Streamclip is excellent, I know that it can be a pain to use. Using compressor and multiple cores/sets of RAM might be the way to go too to speed up the process(assumeing FCP can't do it).

<http://www.viddler.com/explore/Emeek77/videos/70/>.

Alan Bezet
Production Manager
Washington, D.C.
alan.bezet@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:20:16 pm

Hey thanks man. Appreciate it. I'll run some test. As you said, mpeg streamclip is excellent but I've had to resort to other measures in essence of time. I do have a cluster set up in compressor and wow does that speed things up. Unfortunately its just to time consuming. being at a fast paced ad agency we just don't have the time to do it the right, or maybe better way. So i just sacrifice quality by capturing on the fly. quality is not a issue for us since the work is just for comps. Thanks again for your comments. I'll see what I can whip up.

Return to posts index

Matt Campbell
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:53:04 pm

Alan, I've tried setting up my system the way you described but only 1/2 is working. RCA audio out from DVD player is going into the Tape input, female XLR A&B from main outs on back of 1202 to IO. Male XLR A&B from IO plugged back into Lines 1 & 2 of the mixer. Metal main output level button depressed on back. I can hear the audio and see the video with the Log and Capture window but once I capture there is video with only loud, feedback like humming audio. What am I missing in order to get the audio captured correctly?

Return to posts index

Alan Bezet
on Sep 18, 2009 at 4:13:30 pm

Hmm, Perhaps try not depressing that volume boost button on the back of the Mackie board. On your capture settings be sure to set the number of channels in to 2 channels. Also make sure that whatever ingest method you are picking will recognize video from the input your using as well as the XLR audio that you're feeding in.

Our cheapo DVD player has an additonal Co-Axial Out which effectively is another RCA out, which you may link this to the Ref Loop in.

Also, why not save yourself a whole heap of pain in the kiester by using a program like HandBrake(freeware)<http://handbrake.fr/> to rip to DVD off an optical drive or Cinematize <http://www.miraizon.com/store/store.html>, thou Cinematize only works on DVD's with no copy protection.

Alan Bezet
Production Manager
Washington, D.C.
alan.bezet@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]