FORUMS: list search recent posts

One IO Two Macs...Annoying Issues

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Patrick
One IO Two Macs...Annoying Issues
on Dec 23, 2008 at 4:01:17 pm

I have two Macs, a Dual 3GHz Quad Core running OSX 10.4.11 and a Dual 2.8GHz Quad Core running 10.5.5, with one IO thats hooked into a Beta record deck. The IO and the Beta deck are on a wheeled cart that we shuffle back and forth between the two machines when we need to capture or print back to Beta. I know this isn't the ideal setup, but i can only work with what i'm given. Problem is everytime I wheel the deck and IO over to and hook up to one of the machines the AJA Updater opens and if i don't run it FCP either won't recognize the deck. Seems like a total pain to have to update the firmware everytime i rehook the IO up to a machine. Is this the result of using the IO not playing nice between two different OS'?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: One IO Two Macs...Annoying Issues
on Dec 23, 2008 at 5:49:15 pm

[Mike Patrick] "Is this the result of using the IO not playing nice between two different OS'?
"

Sounds like a perfect question for AJA support, but I'd guess that would have something to do with it.

Do you restart when you hook up the machine? Do you have the same set of drivers running on both machines?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Patrick
on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:49:49 pm

I power down the Mac, the IO, and the deck before removing the Firewire cable. I then make sure the second Mac is powered down before plugging in the Firewire to the second Mac. Next i power up the deck, then the IO, then the Mac. Once the OS on the second Mac has fully loaded is when the AJA Updater opens. The strange thing is that sometimes the updater won't open after the power cycle and the IO will work fine. Then i'll powerdown everything rehook firewires and wallah the updater opens and the IO won't work unless it's updated. All this power cycling has become a major pain. Do you think theres a better software/hardware work around that'll complement my current setup besides getting another dedicated IO and Deck for the second Mac?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:56:15 pm

Well, the same operating system along with the same AJA drivers would be a good start.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 23, 2008 at 10:32:00 pm

I know this situation well. The company this gentlemen works for has bare bone macs, and want to wheel around (or lug around) the AJA and the VTR from room to room. They are so cheap, they don't want to upgrade ANYTHING - not the MAC, not the operating system, not the version of Final Cut Pro. "Just drag the equipment in here, plug it in, and do whatever you have to do to make it work". As long as they don't have to spend ONE PENNY on anything.

Unfortunately I know this type of client all too well.

I am sorry you are in this situation. Any fix I could suggest would COST MONEY, and your client or employer doesn't want to spend any - even if it's just to upgrade some software. They would rather have you suffer.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Mike Patrick
on Dec 24, 2008 at 3:14:00 pm

Well Bob after threatening him with the collapse of his business i was tasked with figuring out what it would take to fix the issue. Obviously my first step is to upgrade the OS of the older machine to match the lastest one. But what else would help eliminate the constant power cycling and rehooking between both machines? Switcher?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 24, 2008 at 4:03:41 pm

One thing at a time, Mike. Rolling your gear around is the same as having a machine room, except it's on wheels. Get your computers to the same OS and drivers, and try again. It is the cheapest and easiest solution.

I have used an ioHD between a laptop and a desktop. It works fine, but both machines have the same software.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Patrick
on Dec 24, 2008 at 5:20:36 pm

Getting the OS's to match is definitely top priority. However, now that my client has been convinced that an upgrade is crucial i'd like to deliver a solution. As it appears that matching the OS's will fix my constant updating firmware issue, i'm still interested in what the solution/solutions would be to get around having to constantly power cycle the machines.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 24, 2008 at 5:32:09 pm

The altest version of the AJA ioHd drivers support hot swapping of the ioHD device. If you're OS and drivers are the same on both systems, you should be okay. At the very least, a restart of the computer will be in order.

If not, you will need an ioHD at each station, your beta deck int eh mieddle of them and a patch bay to connect them all.

But, before we get in to that, just update the OS and get your machines running the same software and try again. That's the solution for now.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mike Patrick
on Dec 24, 2008 at 5:34:16 pm

Thanks dude appreciate it. Happy Holidays

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 24, 2008 at 5:38:32 pm

No worries!

http://www.trevorvanmeter.com/flyguy/

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 26, 2008 at 1:52:47 pm

[Mike Patrick] "i'm still interested in what the solution/solutions would be to get around having to constantly power cycle the machines"

Ok, That would be true is this was just some dumb device.
However your IoHD is not some dumb hard drive that your can shuttle back and forth, it is a "smart" device that needs to be able to intelligently communicate via that FW connection to your computer so that FCP understands what the device capable of doing.

The latest versions of the IoHD firm ware allow you co connect and disconnect a unit, but because FCP lacks this capability and needs to profile ALL hardware attached as it starts up, you will not ever get any add on hardware to be seen correctly if it is not initialized on startup of both the computer and the App.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 24, 2008 at 1:42:12 pm

[Mike Patrick] "Is this the result of using the IO not playing nice between two different OS'?"

Mike
that issue is due to the OS's have different requirements for the firmware.
You do know that not having all the machines on the same versions of software can cause issues?

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]