FORUMS: list search recent posts

IO HD and After Effects - no realtime preview

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jens Schneider
IO HD and After Effects - no realtime preview
on Dec 18, 2008 at 9:43:05 pm

Hey everyone.
I am using the IO HD on a Core2Duo Macbook Pro 2,6 GHz with 10.5.6 and IO HD software v6.0.2. In After Effects (both CS3 and 4) when I RAM preview my comp through IO HD on an external monitor (HDMI and S-Video) I am not getting realtime playback when the video preview setting in AE is set to More Accurate. I don't really want to work with it set to Faster because it drastically compromises the video quality. With Faster I do get realtime but only in 8bit.
Is that a general problem with IO HD and After Effects or would I get better performance if I upgrade to a desktop machine? (which I can't really imagine because from my understanding, RAM preview just pulls a number of prerendered frames out of my RAM without the cpu having to do anything aside from that)
Does anyone have a comparable setup and doesn't experience the slowdown?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
Re: IO HD and After Effects - no realtime preview
on Dec 19, 2008 at 7:43:27 am

A MacPro will make your laptop seem very, very slow. Your laptop specs are just above the minimum requirements also. How much RAM do you have?

-mark

Return to posts index

Jens Schneider
on Dec 19, 2008 at 10:02:43 am

4GB. No doubt it will and there is one coming, I'm just trying to wait until they release new hardware. And I'm a little worried that I might get the same results despite the 8- or 16-core monster that I'm going to spend an insane amount of money on.

The weird thing is, I tested several different settings, trashed my prefs and actually ended up getting realtime.Right now it is doing 16bit and "More Accurat" but I have to have "Mirror on Computer Monitor" unchecked and the comp's settings must be "compatible" with IO HDs output setting.
I'm outputting 625i25 RGBA and it won't do 1024x576 sq.pix in realtime whereas 720x576 anam.pix seems to work fine.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 19, 2008 at 1:21:47 pm

[Jens Schneider] "I'm outputting 625i25 RGBA and it won't do 1024x576 sq.pix in realtime "

DUH ...

AJA products are designed for SMPTE / EBU VIDEO playback 1024x756 is not a legal video format as described by those bodies- so NO it will not ever play that back correctly.

[Jens Schneider] "Right now it is doing 16bit and "More Accurat" but I have to have "Mirror on Computer Monitor" unchecked and the comp's settings must be "compatible" with IO HDs output setting."

The other part of your problem is there is NO such thing as a 16bit video video signal and yes the simplest stomp on it is to cut it directly to 8bits since the HDMI spec was only an 8bit protocol.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Jens Schneider
on Dec 19, 2008 at 4:54:53 pm

gary, please spare me the DUHs and what not.

1024x576 is PAL widescreen with square pixels. If you do motion graphics and design work for clients that need PAL widescreen, for me, it is much more convenient to do it in square pixels in AE than use 720x756 anamorphic and have AE's pixel aspect ratio correction mess up your stuff visually.
I appreciate your input and the fact that you actually took the time to deal with my stuff but why respond with an attitude like that?

when did this place become a show-off contest for ego?
everyone posting here in need of help should be treated like a fellow professional. you're the senior here, you of all people should know.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 19, 2008 at 5:19:02 pm

Gary's character is not tranlating via the written word. If you were talking to him in person, you would understand his post. He means no harm.

Also, I agree with him. 1024x576 is not a video standard that the ioHD will understand. The PARs in CS4 have been revised and corrected so I would advise working in a PAL widescreen timeline, rather than square pixels. At the very least, you can nest your 1024 timeline in a 720 timeline and preview that nest. At some point in your delivery chain, this process is going to happen, your footage will get knoced down to anamorphic. You can then correct the PAR with your monitor by hitting the 16x9 button.

Also, monitoring in 16bit will slow you down. You can preview and monitor in 8 bit, then you can change to 16 bit for the render (if you are rendering out to a 10bit codec, if not, might as well stick with 8 bit) and then check your render on a proper monitor in 10bit.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jens Schneider
on Dec 19, 2008 at 5:22:13 pm

thanks a bunch jeremy.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 19, 2008 at 9:01:09 pm

[Jens Schneider] "1024x576 is PAL widescreen with square pixels."

Sorry jens, you are incorrect.

1024 x 576 it is not a SMPTE standard format, it is an NLE workaround for doing widescreen SD PAL projects for applications that do to correctly support square pixels. It is not a Legitimate HD or SD format according to SMPTE or EBU and is not seen by the AJA products as a legal, playable format.

You can call it anything you want- but it is not a legal video signal and therefor will not playout in realtime. Aja's products are designed for standard video formats. This is not.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jens Schneider
on Dec 19, 2008 at 11:06:28 pm

hey gary.
thank you for your last post. I really appreciate it. didn't mean to be rude or anything, it just feels weird when you come to the cow looking for help and the first thing you read sounds more like someone's lashing out at you. that's the downside of just writing, you don't hear someone saying the words and can't tell how they actually meant it.
aside from that, you are absolutely right, it's just that AE offers 1024x576 as a preset that goes by the name of "PAL widescreen square pixels" (or something similar) and I recall getting realtime with this preset on an 8-core machine with a Kona LHe.

I think the core of my question actually is:
will I get significantly better performance out of IO HD with a fast desktop machine attached to it?
does anyone use it with both a laptop and a desktop and can spill some facts about the difference?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 20, 2008 at 1:44:37 pm

[Jens Schneider] "thank you for your last post. I really appreciate it. didn't mean to be rude or anything"

thank you for this Jens, and I apologize for the terse response to your question.

Since we got off track lets answer you question.

YES you will have better response on a desktop with your setup.

Since you are working with an off size frame size - It is your CPU is doing all of the heavy lifting in regard to the scaling to conform your 1024 > 720 standard PAL frame size switching to a desktop will give you as much as 4x the performance in AE as you are getting on a Laptop, and AE is a RAM hog anyway so you will gain performance there also.

have a good day my friend, and I hope this helps

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Jens Schneider
on Dec 20, 2008 at 5:53:50 pm

great news gary.
so the mac pro will absolutely be the right investment. I am looking forward to it.
have a great weekend and even better holidays.

cheers from munich

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]