FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does IoHD remove color information?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carl Sundermann
Does IoHD remove color information?
on Dec 18, 2008 at 7:14:03 pm

Hello -

I've been using the IoHD for a few months now, and one of the issues I've noticed since using it is that our video doesn't seem to "pop" off the screen. It's never been something I'm able to put my finger on, but I've always felt that it just feels "dull". I always attributed this to the fact that HDV is 4:2:0, and that even with ProRes expanding that to 4:2:2, there's not enough information left to make it "pop".

However, this theory was thrown out this morning as I was digitizing something but realized it looked like it had more color in it. Then I realized that as I was looking at my monitor, I was seeing the straight component feed from the deck, NOT the feed through the AJA box (From my deck it goes HDMI into the IoHD, and HD-SDI to my monitor (and of course FW800 to the computer).

So, does anyone have any ideas off hand why going through the IoHD seems to make my picture look less saturated?

Thanks for any ideas you have.

Carl Sundermann

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
Re: Does IoHD remove color information?
on Dec 19, 2008 at 7:40:56 am

Well I just discovered that the HDMI port only supports 8-bit color so you might want to feed the IoHD with the HD-SDI signal and see if that works/looks better.

I have confirmed the 8-bit color definitely on the HDMI output as it looks far worse than even the analog component out.

-mark

Return to posts index

Jens Schneider
on Dec 19, 2008 at 10:09:27 am

That's a bummer. I just spend 1000€ on an eizo display with hdmi to get decent color output from my IO HD. It's kind of like buying a pool table for a tool shack.

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Dec 21, 2008 at 3:53:08 pm

Not to be mean, but why did you buy a "computer display" to monitor your video output from the AJA IoHD?

I've been looking at the JVC Highend broadcast LCDs with HD-SDI ins that also give you a PIP waveform monitor and audio meters.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101798

-mark

Return to posts index

Jens Schneider
on Dec 21, 2008 at 4:32:08 pm

Mark, I totally agree, the JVC is high-end broadcast equipment and my eizo is basically a computer display.
yet my reason is simple: good versatility for comparably little money

the eizo is about a quarter of the JVC's prize, got brilliant reviews (e.g. at http://www.prad.de) and features vga, dvi and two hdmis all doing 50Hz, 60Hz and 24Hz, which makes it "scalable" in my setup. I can use it today to output video from AE and Final Cut Studio through IO HD and in the future, should I choose to invest in a more pro-level setup, I can either use it as a display for my desktop machine or at the very least hook my PS3 to it.
I'm working freelance so making really big investments is always tricky. And for now, "close to pro" is good enough for me, as long as there is always someone I can go to for the pro equipment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]