FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using the io HD as a standalone converter for a Kona 2

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Levy
Using the io HD as a standalone converter for a Kona 2
on Dec 18, 2008 at 2:46:16 am

I currently have a dual 2.5 GHz G5 with a Kona 2. Instead of purchasing some of the standalone mini-converters to input and output from analog component HD and also to and from HDMI (I used to have access to these mini-converters at my old office when needed), I have been considering purchasing an io HD. This (theoretically) would give me the I/O options I need for the Kona 2 system, as well as a mobile editing option for my MacBook Pro.

Has anybody here paired an io HD (controlled by a separate Mac) with a Kona based desktop system for this purpose?

Anybody see any potential problems with this idea?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Using the io HD as a standalone converter for a Kona 2
on Dec 23, 2008 at 10:35:22 pm

the I/O HD will not work with your old MAC G5 dual 2.5. People will tell you it will, but it won't. If you have no money, get the blackmagic A/D converter for under $500. Or go on ebay, and try to find an AJA I/O LA which will let you get analog signals into your system. For your old MAC G5 dual 2.5, the I/O HD is the WRONG product.

AND is this Daniel Levy from New York (NBA) and Time Warner Orlando ? If it is, I am at maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Daniel Levy
Re: Using the io HD as a standalone converter for a Kona 2
on Dec 23, 2008 at 11:42:29 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. I appreciate it.

I know that the io HD won't work with the G5. I was planning on using it with my 2.33 GHz MacBook Pro, but I was hoping it would also pull double duty as a converter for my Kona 2 system.

After doing more research, I came across the BlackMagic Broadcast Converter that looks like it will also fit the bill nicely for the Kona 2 system.

And, no, I'm not the Daniel Levy from New York. I'm in Los Angeles. But, hey, now you can say you've conversed with two Dan Levys.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]