FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Beta to DV workflow

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Clint Stringfellow
AJA Beta to DV workflow
on Dec 15, 2008 at 4:02:40 am

Hello. I am new to mixing digital and analog content, so please bear with me as I ask some elementary questions.

Almost all footage is shot on DV for the show I'm working on, with additional b-roll stock footage that comes in on BetaSP. I have done some reading on the different IRE black levels between analog and digital, but I'm still confused on the actual procedure of properly capturing the Beta footage for our workflow. For *now* we will be working in a DV environment and outputting to DV.

My main question is how to maintain proper levels when ingesting the footage from Beta. I am going component from the deck to the AJA IO LA with settings at "component beta" and 7.5 black. I don't have a real waveform, so I have to rely on the FCP waveform for now. How should I set the levels going into FCP when copressing it to DV? Will I have to manually crush the blacks w/ the proc amp filter? I have noticed that there is a drastic difference in levels depending on whether I capture "beta to 10 bit uncompressed" or "beta to DV". The DV capture is much darker with all details lost in the blacks even though the settings on the deck were the same.

With all that in mind, in the future we may be outputting to BetaSP. What would be the best workflow when combining Beta and DV footage to finish on Beta?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]