FORUMS: list search recent posts

does this HDV vtr play well with AJAHD

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
todd reid
does this HDV vtr play well with AJAHD
on Dec 12, 2008 at 1:01:41 am

Looking to buy a multi-format deck, and figure the HDV/DVCam/DV combo decks will work.

Using my AJAHD, I'm finding that not all decks have what (I think) I need.

I'd like to have HDV i/o, SD/SDI i/o, rs-422 control. xlr audio i/o

I don't find any decks that have all that, this is the closest fit.

Sony HVR-1500 HDV/DVCAM VTR, 1080i, HD/SD-SDI, Multi-Format DV Playback
best price I've found is $4100.

Any advise as to if this deck will work, or other options?????

Todd Reid
Senior Editor
Digitized Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: does this HDV vtr play well with AJAHD
on Dec 12, 2008 at 2:59:57 am

The HVR-1500 has been discontinued by Sony. The deck they now make is the HVR-1500A. The HVR-1500A will allow you to record back the HD-SDI signal. The HVR-1500 (no A) will NOT let you record back an HD-SDI signal. Which specifically means that when you create a ProRes422HQ sequence, this VTR (the 1500) will not let you record it back to the VTR. If you get the A - no problem.

Either way, as a source VTR, the HVR-1500 or A is a GREAT VTR, and is the perfect HDV product for working with FCP and ANY professional capture product (like the I/O HD).

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

todd reid
Re: does this HDV vtr play well with AJAHD
on Dec 12, 2008 at 2:51:33 pm

Thanks for the input.
Followup question.

Do I need to purchase the "optional HVBK-1505A analog board"?

I want to get the most "potential for use" for my buck.
It looks like this board will enhance the video in by adding YRB in and analog audio in via xlr.

With my AJAHD in the middle, I should be able to record both SD (via SDI-which embedds audio, right?) (or use the AES/EBU)
and HDV (via HD-SDI)

please forgive my "only enough knowledge to get me into trouble" questions, but I value your opinions and I want to make sure that I make the right choice. We do have money in the budget for this, but as always, we want to spend wisely.

thanks

Todd Reid
Senior Editor
Digitized Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

todd reid
follow up question for bob
on Dec 13, 2008 at 3:23:54 pm

I've read the cow long enough to have the opinion that you know what your talking about.
Through posts, you helped me create an edit suite that I am happy to use on a regular basis for HD and SD projects.

So thank you for your willingness to help others (even though you get paid to fix problems, you still offer free help to the herd to fix their problems)

ok, enough KYA...

I am 95% convinced that the Sony HVR-1500A is the deck I'm going to purchase.

However, I found a few posts that state the deck (both 1500 and 1500a) aren't working well with FCP. Post says that decks works fine with his premier, but not fcp.
Claims that the sony's fcp driver is poorly written.

Have you heard of any of these problems?

Todd Reid
Senior Editor
Digitized Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: follow up question for bob
on Dec 18, 2008 at 11:33:37 pm

the HVR-1500A works wonderfully with Final Cut Pro. Are things 100% problem free - NOTHING is problem free. Creative Cow would not exist if things were problem free. EVERY PRODUCT from AJA, Blackmagic, AVID, Matrox, Apple, etc. has problems. That is why we are all here.

Buy the HVR-1500A.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

todd reid
on Dec 19, 2008 at 12:15:41 am

Thanks Bob!

I actually had one ordered online thru DVIExpress.com and they use a very convoluted and fishy payment plan that would have had me dealing with 3 companies I've never heard of in order to get the deck.

It was a lot cheaper than anyone else, but I'm not comfortable with the hoops they require.
I will probably go with B&H photo.

Have you ever heard of, or dealt with, DVIExpress.com?

Todd Reid
Senior Editor
Digitized Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Dec 19, 2008 at 1:09:18 pm

[todd reid] "I actually had one ordered online thru DVIExpress.com and they use a very convoluted and fishy payment plan that would have had me dealing with 3 companies I've never heard of in order to get the deck. "

that usually means they are NOT authorized to handle the gear.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

todd reid
One last question.....I swear
on Dec 19, 2008 at 10:34:32 pm

My local reseller, Burst Video, gave me a quote that included 2 optional boards that I'm not sure if I need.

the 1505 analog input board and the 1520 format converter board. This raises the price of the deck to almost $10k.

I wouldn't need the converter board, as I have an AJAHD that can do any converting I may need.
The analog input board I don't think I'd need either, as I would prefer to use SDI.

So, can you confirm that the 1500a (without these additional boards) will allow my system (with the AJAHD) to input/output dv/dvcam/hdv?

I bow to your knowledge, as if you can confirm this information it will save me around $2500. Actually if I need these two boards that puts this deck a bit above what I want to spend.

So after reading this, is your advise still "Buy the HVR-1500A."?

Thank you!!!

Todd Reid
Senior Editor
Digitized Media, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]