NO REAL-TIME EXTERNAL VIDEO AJA iO LD and LA with FCP- Blackmagic INTENSITY
I've searched the forums and users groups and can't figure this out. I would appreciate your input. My system was fine for a year, then suddenly, I got no external video on my broadcast monitor from an AJA iO LD (SDI) hardware output box. Switched to a back-up LA (Analog YUV) - same result - BLACK on the monitor - no real-time video playback except on the computer's LCD. Audio is playing fine from the AJA boxes externally to a mixer and I can hear the sound from the Sequence Timeline. I trried all the fixes posted on this and other sites, but to no avail.
For a test, I created a simple 10-second sequence with color bars for one second, then a CUT to white text on black screen, then back to bars, alternating every 1-second.
1. Same AJA boxes and connections with Adobe After Effects (CS3) or Adobe Premiere Pro will play back this color bar and text back-and-forth test timeline in real-time - no problem!
2. FCP is ver 6.05, but I un-installed and went back to 6.0, then stepped-up to 6.4. Still have the same no external video problem. I have un-installed and re-installed twice. Also re-installed QuickTime 7.5. Note that 6.05 was working fine. (MacPro, Tiger 10.4.11, 12gigs RAM). Since FCPro/FCStudio does not come with an un-installer, I found one on a user group site and used it to (hopefully) cleanly un-install FCP files before re-installing.
3. Pull-down menu: VIEW > External Video > is set to ALL FRAMES. Refresh A/V devices flashes AJA, so it's talking to the box. Here's an interesting one - under VIEW > External Video > selected SHOW CURRENT (Frame). The AJA box then outputs the ONE frame (field) that the SEQUENCE playhead is stopped on. Clicked play, and that one frame stays put (frozen) while the computer LCDs plays the video. Audio is output in real-time to the mixer, so it is the only thing working fine: there is external audio output only - no real time video output.
4. Tried trashing preferences, and re-installing AJA LD and LA drivers. Same problem.
5. Checked that Sequence frame rate (29.97 NTSC) is identical to other settings, and even tried Easy SetUp DV, then activating AJA box in AUDIO/VIDEO Pull-down menu (the fact that it shows-up means the Mac and FCP is seeing the AJA box and its drivers).
As stated in #3 above, one frame can be output (VIEW>External Video>Show Current), but no real-time video. Closed FCP and launched After Effects and Premiere Pro separately, and they play real-time perfectly, both on AJA io LA (analog) and LD (digital-SDI). Same boxes, same firewire port, all connections the same.
6. Mirror on Desktop is checked; and FIT TO WINDOW is selected.
7. I did have Blackmagic INTENSITY PRO (HDMI HD card) installed in the MacPro. When I needed HD monitoring, I would un-install the AJA iO LA/LD drivers, install the Blackmagic drivers, and all would be fine in 720p/1080i. When done with HD, I would un-install the Blackmagic drivers, then re-install the AJA iO drivers, re-booting before launching FCP.
This worked fine for over a year with no problems in external video monitoring and output.
I have completely un-installed the Intensity Pro drivers and removed the card - but the AJA iO LA and LD still do not output real-time video (only audio works) in FCP. After Effects and Premiere Pro output fine!
Any clues, my colleagues?
MacPro Intel Quad Mac OS X (10.4.11) 12gigs RAM
Well the only thing I can think of is even though you have selected to view all frames, you still need to tell the AJA what type of signal you are sending it (DV25, uncompressed 8bit, 720p59.95, 1080i29.97, etc etc) from the view external video using --- select the right option for your timeline.
there are many variables in your post. You are going to need an SDI source (like a camera or VTR) to fully test your system.
Uninstall your blackmagic card and drivers (just for now). Put the SDI source VTR or camera into the input of the I/O LD. Open up the AJA Pro I/O Control Panel. do you see video input indicating that it is seeing an input ? If it does, you should see a video output of your SDI source on your monitor. Final Cut Pro, and/or Premier should be CLOSED while doing these tests. If you can't see your SDI input source using the AJA Pro I/O Control Panel, uninstall and reinstall the latest drivers for this box. If this still does not work, you have a bad I/O LD.
If you DO NOT have an SDI source to do this test, then I can't help you.
Certainly try trashing the FCP preferences, and do everything again.