FORUMS: list search recent posts

AJA Io - Firewire - Timebase Corrector

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephan Laeuppi
AJA Io - Firewire - Timebase Corrector
on Nov 24, 2008 at 3:24:06 pm

Hello everybody

I am new to this forum. I just bought myself an AJA Io in order to capture analog SD material. I am working with a G5 Macintosh. Is it correct that connecting the AJA via Firewire to the G5, I will not be able to use another firewire device at the same time (for example an external harddisc). Do I have to buy a PCI-Card with for example eSata connections?

Does the AJA Io have an internal timebase corrector or do I have to use an external timebase corrector before the video signal goes into the AJA?

Many thanks for your help.
Stephan in Switzerland

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: AJA Io - Firewire - Timebase Corrector
on Nov 25, 2008 at 12:17:44 am

yes, you will have to buy another Firewire card to use Firewire drives (Sonnet Technology makes EXCELLENT PCI-x and PCI-e buss Firewire cards for MAC computers). If you try to use the AJA I/O and a Firewire drive on the native MAC buss without an extra card, you will have nothing but problems. Everyone tries this (including me), and suffers for it.

YES, the AJA I/O has a frame sync tbc on the composite input of the IO. This means that you can put a crappy VHS tape on the composite input and it will frame sync the input for you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

C David Miller
on Nov 27, 2008 at 2:17:25 am

Well i have AjA LO on the 400 bus and two Lacie 500gb drives striped on the 800 bus. Added a 3 port FW PCI card and have it running out to two FW hubs for isight, printer, portable drive, DVD DL burner and Epson Scanner. So the G5 works well.

C. David Miller

CN8/Comcast Network Television

Central Pennsylvania Region

1050 East King Street

York, PA 17403

717-771-2623

Return to posts index

Stephan Laeuppi
on Nov 27, 2008 at 7:38:04 am

Thank you very much for your answers! They are very helpful!

The moment I am going to install the AJA software (Version 3) is it better to unzip the ANALOG or the DIGITAL package? I will mainly use the AJA Io to capture older analog video sources and then play them out on miniDV or DVCam - so it is analog in / digital out... I understand that the selection of ANALOG versus DIGITAL has an effect on the easy capture setups in Final Cut...

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 27, 2008 at 3:15:50 pm

you unzip both the analog AND digital drivers. They do not conflict with each other.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]