FORUMS: list search recent posts

Totally lost in IO World

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Wise
Totally lost in IO World
on Nov 22, 2008 at 4:47:41 am

First off thanks to anyone who can help this lost newbie.

We have recently acquired the ioHD and start using it immediately, along with the latest mac and FCS 2 (YEAH)!!! However, after installing the software, I just can't seem to get things working properly. Every time I try to listen to something on a timeline, it sounds like the audio is inverting unto itself and ultimately looping into itself.

Secondly I can't seem to monitor any video. I can get the pretty test patterns but thats it.

Equipment wise all I'm using at the moment is a DVCAM deck and a BetaCAM SP along with a basic Mackie.

I'm sure it's something sooooo simple but after the number of hours I have put into this already.. I just can't think straight anymore.

Could someone guide me in the right direction.... much thanks in advance.

one lost newbie

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Totally lost in IO World
on Nov 22, 2008 at 5:00:39 pm

[Paul Wise] "Every time I try to listen to something on a timeline, it sounds like the audio is inverting unto itself and ultimately looping into itself."

OK
First download the latest drivers from the aja website - no telling how long your dealer has had the unit.

THEN
Do not use the IoHD to monitor your system audio it is only FCP and related apps. - what you here is a feedback loop

[Paul Wise] "Secondly I can't seem to monitor any video."

then you have to set up FCP correctly using the AJA IOHD preset for your video, for SD that would be uncompressed, DV or ProRes.

Make sure you have everything updated and are running on an intel mac.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

Return to posts index

Paul Wise
on Nov 22, 2008 at 6:16:19 pm

Gary, thanks to the response.

As for the updates, you weren't kidding. the disc I was given was version 1.1 where as the website is up to 6.+!!!! Also updated the firmware ioHD deck itself.

I see what your saying about the video preset and I'm sure that's what it is; however, you stated don't use the IOHD to monitor the audio.

This is what I've done so far (audio):
-the output of my beta is going to the input of my mixer
-the output of my mixer is going to the input of my IOHD
-the output of ioHD is going to the input os a DA
-the output of the DA is going to the input of the Beta.
-in my system prefs I have everything set to the ioHD

I'm sure as your reading this you're laughing thinking this guy is an idiot and your probably right, but I'm totally lost, in a tight crunch, and don't have anyone to ask locally.

Much thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Nov 22, 2008 at 10:41:08 pm

-the output of the DA is going to the input of the Beta

What exactly are you trying to do with this setup?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Nov 22, 2008 at 10:42:57 pm

-the output of the DA is going to the input of the Beta

What exactly are you trying to do with this setup?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Paul Wise
on Nov 22, 2008 at 11:23:47 pm

Jeff, thanks for your reply.

Actually this is how we had it set up using a Kona LH.
Just doing regular capturing and editing.
But now under this same setup but using ioHD the audio starts an internal looping.
Never really had to deal with the machine side that much.
I'm walking in the dark right now...what would be the best way to hook the ioHD to a Beta(UVW-1800), a DVCam (DSR-1500A), and a mackie ... and also system prefs?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 23, 2008 at 6:04:20 pm

Paul writes - "what would be the best way to hook the ioHD to a Beta(UVW-1800), a DVCam (DSR-1500A), and a mackie ... and also system prefs"

Paul, you are braver than I am. You have never wired up a system with multiple VTR's. You will have connection issues with not only audio monitoring, but video, and RS422 VTR control. And what happens if you need to make a dub from one VTR to another ? Where is your dealer ? There isn't a person on this forum, or ANY FORUM that knows the answer to every question. How about getting some assitance from your dealer.

To hookup a UVW-1800 and DSR-1500A (both RS422 controlled VTR's) to your I/O HD (and I am guessing you have more stuff you need, possibly speakers, mics, DVD-R, and who knows what else), you are going to need a TON of cables. It will look like a big spagetti pile when you get done. These cables should be labeled in advance, because one mistake, and you will get real confused. And your Mackie may have a LOT of buttons on it - for buss assignment. This corresponds to the different jacks on the back of your Mackie mixer.
And if your DSR-1500A has the SDI option (does it ?) - you will probably want to use the AJA Control Panel to select SDI VIDEO and EMBEDDED AUDIO to get the audio from the DSR1500 into the I/O HD, and not the Mackie. Has anyone shown you how to use the AJA Control Panel ?

There is a lot of stuff here - and it confusing. It's my opinion that you need some help - IN PERSON - from a dealer, or freelance editor or tech, that can come in and help you.

Just because you are a "newbie" doesn't mean that you should be afraid to ask for help. Your boss can't figure out his new accounting system without assistance !

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 23, 2008 at 6:30:03 pm

[Bob Zelin] "You will have connection issues with not only audio monitoring, but video, and RS422 VTR control."

good catch Bob, I totally missed that.

Don't most 1800's use RS232??? or am I thinking of all of the other beta sp decks. ( I have not touched one in 4-5 years)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 23, 2008 at 12:37:00 pm

[Paul Wise] " you stated don't use the IOHD to monitor the audio. "

No, I said NOT to monitor the System audio via the IoHD - that is what is causing the feedback loop

Only use the the IoHD for monitoring your provideo and audio apps not the system sounds.

[Paul Wise] "-in my system prefs I have everything set to the ioHD "

NO NO NO ---- do not do this - see above

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Paul Wise
on Nov 23, 2008 at 6:46:46 pm

Gary and Bob,

Thanks so much for your time and patience.

Luckily by chance we have an extra mac using the kona LH.
I'll be using this mac to finish this one pressing project & then get back to work with the new ioHD.

Thank you again for sharing your expertise you guys are the best!!!!

Return to posts index

Niklas Wikman
on Nov 30, 2008 at 11:05:51 pm

Maybe a little late here, but I chime in anyway:

We use our IoHD primarily as playback device, since we shoot P2. But every now and then we capture Betacam SP using a UVW-1800P and DV/DVCAM using a DSR-45P.

First the 1800P:

VTR: Component out -> IoHD: Component in
VTR: Audio out (XLR) -> IoHD: Audio in (XLR)
VTR: RS-422 -> IoHD: RS-422 (standard Sony cable)

Io HD:

Audio out (XLR) -> Yamaha active monitors
Comp video out -> program output monitor
HDMI -> client plasma monitor

This works just fine. No need for an audio mixer, sinche the IoHD is matched with the Beta. Although, if the recording level is too low, you have to gain in FCP. But better do it there than gaining the audio output from the Beta and risk audio clipping.

DSR-45P

Firewire out - > mac: firewire in

Big big note here:

1. The IoHD must have it's own FireWire bus. Connect it to the internal FW port of your Mac. Your disks (if you're using FW disks) should be connected to a FireWire adapter installed in your Mac.

2. When you want to capture using DV, switch the IoHD off before starting the Mac. If the Io HD is on and you try to capture over Apple FireWire, you'll get a conflict and it would not work. Also set FCP to use FireWire for capture and not the IoHD.

I'd be happy to help if you still have problems. (I've just been into problems switching to and from IoHD and FireWire last week...)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]