FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fall 2008 MacBook Pro's - DVCProHD and IoHD?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted Griffis
Fall 2008 MacBook Pro's - DVCProHD and IoHD?
on Nov 20, 2008 at 5:45:37 pm

Has anyone had any success with monitoring DVCProHD through the IoHD on the new MacBook Pro's?

Are these new laptops fast enough to handle this transcode on the fly?

Headed on set and we wont be capturing live, but there is a need to monitor the transferred P2 material with a broadcast monitor.

As another possible workaround, does anyone know of a way to force Log and Transfer to transcode the P2 material to ProRes on ingest instead of DVCProHD? (similar to the way it does so for AVC Intra)

Is there another app that might do this?

Thanks for your insight,
Ted

Ted Griffis
GriffisART
http://www.griffisart.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Fall 2008 MacBook Pro's - DVCProHD and IoHD?
on Nov 20, 2008 at 6:39:24 pm

I can't speak to your original question about the speed of the new MBPs, but I will say that after you log and transfer, you can use Compressor to transcode those files to ProRes, or simply place the DVCPro HD clips in a ProRes timeline and render. If you keep the rendering to 8bit (in the seuqence settings) and keep the motion wuality to normal (instead fo best) putting those clips in the timeline will be faster than compressor.

Make sense?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ted Griffis
on Nov 20, 2008 at 6:52:32 pm

Sure does.
I've done this on a MP 8Core with no problem at all, have you had success with this on a MBP? How taxing do you find this to the MBP system, are you still able to work fairly quickly or does this make for a substantial slow down. Drive speed shouldn't provide a bottleneck as I'll be working off of a CalDigit HDPro, just concerned about processing power.

Compressor is not really a viable option on set for speed reasons. I would be great if the P2 material could just be transcoded on ingest, one step in FCP.

Thanks,
Ted

Ted Griffis
GriffisART

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 20, 2008 at 8:30:48 pm

[Ted Griffis] "Drive speed shouldn't provide a bottleneck as I'll be working off of a CalDigit HDPro, just concerned about processing power. "

If you keep the sequence renders to 8bit, then it's not too bad. All you are doing to previewing back footage, correct? You aren't editing or are you?

[Ted Griffis] "Compressor is not really a viable option on set for speed reasons. I would be great if the P2 material could just be transcoded on ingest, one step in FCP. "

I agree, but unfortnately, DVCPro HD won't transcode to ProRes via log and transfer.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ted Griffis
on Nov 20, 2008 at 8:53:16 pm

Yes, there will be some cutting done, nothing crazy in terms of effects, but at the very least assembling rough cuts.

Ted

Ted Griffis
GriffisART

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 20, 2008 at 9:21:19 pm

I think you will be okay with just putting the clips in a ProRes timeline set to 8bit and rendering. As far as editing ProRes on a laptop, that's easy. I have a laptop and take it on set a bunch and assemble rough edits and playback, that's with material captured via the ioHd though. The DVcPro HD shouldn't slow you down too much.

What format/frame rate are you shooting?

Return to posts index

Ted Griffis
on Nov 20, 2008 at 9:25:54 pm

Cool, I will try to do some tests to see how well it fairs before entering into a pressured situation.
Should be working with 720p 23.98.

Thanks for the help and brainstorm,
Ted

Ted Griffis
GriffisART

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Nov 20, 2008 at 9:44:53 pm

[Ted Griffis] "Should be working with 720p 23.98. "

What speed MacBook Pro do you have now, or do you only have the new one?

With 720p 23.98, you should be able to get real time transcode. I have the slowest MBP that is rated for the ioHD and I can get a realtime transcode from 720p23.98 footage. I wouldn't complete a whole project with it, but for what you need it for, you will be totally fine. If not, just put it on a ProRes timeline and render.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ted Griffis
on Nov 20, 2008 at 9:53:49 pm

>>What speed MacBook Pro do you have now, or do you only have the new one?

Don't have a MBP yet, will purchase or rent. (I'd be more inclined to purchase if it had a matte screen :-))

>>With 720p 23.98, you should be able to get real time transcode. I have the slowest MBP that is rated for the ioHD and I can get a realtime transcode from 720p23.98 footage. I wouldn't complete a whole project with it, but for what you need it for, you will be totally fine. If not, just put it on a ProRes timeline and render.

Good to know, Thanks Jeremy.

Ted Griffis
GriffisART

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]