FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja io hd and red one

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea de Paula
Aja io hd and red one
on Nov 13, 2008 at 1:34:31 pm

Is possible to use aja io hd to capture the footage of the red one? How is the workflow?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: Aja io hd and red one
on Nov 13, 2008 at 1:42:20 pm

[Andrea de Paula] "Is possible to use aja io hd to capture the footage of the red one?"

IoHD does not offer the same support for REDCode that the Kona3 card does, but treats the HDSDI off the camera the same as any other video device.

I only recommend esata for storage, FW is just too flaky.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Andrea de Paula
on Nov 13, 2008 at 2:02:14 pm

Thanks, Gary. We have an eSata to capture the footage.

But what is the difference if I capture Red One with Aja Io Hd to avoid Redcode? Some people say redcode is not ok, I dont know if it is true. I am concerned about the post-production workflow. We use Mac Pro, Final Cut and Color. What is best to post-production? Work with DPX or Redcode?

What do you suggest me? Thanks again!

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 13, 2008 at 2:16:18 pm

[Andrea de Paula] "But what is the difference if I capture Red One with Aja Io Hd to avoid Redcode?"

couple of things
The live preview feed out of the camera is only 720p59.94 no other frame rates or sizes are supported

You are limiting what you are doing to 720p or 1080 if playing back the content within the camera, while the playback from the camera offers you access to the frame rates as shot, this is a slow and sometimes cumbersome process.

" I am concerned about the post-production workflow. We use Mac Pro, Final Cut and Color"

Then you are already 3/4 of the way as long as you are working on an MacPro Intel box.

Shoot redcode and use the Log and Transfer into FCP, which will solve most of the headaches for a simple solution. Another route is to use the proxy files ( this is a very good thing when delivery is for SD-DVD and the web)

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 13, 2008 at 11:03:43 pm

Andrea -

Everyone wants an easy answer. Everyone wants to take the "video output" of a 4K camera (or 2K camera), stick it into a VTR, hit the record button, and say "wow, this looks like film". This is not the RED process, nor will it be the process for any of the new cameras that work like this (Viper, Weisscam, Phantom, etc.). File conversion and use of proxy is becomming a way of life - even if it's P2 or Sony XDCam HD. You just don't "hit the record button", rewind, and start to edit.

I cannot begin to tell you how many people think you record on RED, pop off the drive or flash card, pop it onto your edit system (AVID, FCP, etc), and start to edit. IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY. You have to read all the manuals, you have to follow the process. ITS NOT EASY. That is - unless you have Assmilate Scratch, which is a native 4K editing system - but even then, it doesn't have a "SDI output" where you can instantly make a Digi Beta from your RED 4K footage.

Sorry, but there is no easy way currently - for ANY of these hi end cameras.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Nov 16, 2008 at 1:21:07 pm

It's going to get a bit easier though in time. (hopefully sooner rather than later).

See: http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/mcurtis/story/new_workflow_options_f...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer

Author: "Jerry Hofmann on Final Cut Pro 4" Click here

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO, CD's

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]