FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi camera capture ISO questions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Perry
Multi camera capture ISO questions
on Nov 1, 2008 at 12:24:48 pm

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this question but everyone here is so knowledgeable, I will give it a try.

I am doing a 5 camera shoot with Panasonic HVX-200 cameras component out of the head uncompressed to a Gefen component extender and then to a HD switcher and into my AJA IOHD and to a Mac Pro. The problem is the ISO on each camera because the program is an opera of more than 3 hours. Right now I have Citidisk's for ISO but they only give 2 hours max and at $1400 a pop it is too expensive. They also record in 1.86 gig files which have to be exported into one file in order to use the multicam timeline in FCP.

What I am thinking is to go firewire from the cameras to a mac mini and then send it though Cat-5 to a server. This way also gives me 1 file per camera which is nice for a multicam timeline. Another issue is my AJA IOHD won't record in DVCProHD which means my live cut and ISO cameras are in a different codec and have to be converted to one or the other.

So, my questions are these:
1. Is there a way to send 5 ethernet file transfers to one server that records all 5 files at the same time?
2. Would I be better off just recording to separate FW drives at the camera positions connected to the Mac Mini?
3. Is ProRes422 that much better than DVCProHD?
4. The program is to be delivered to PBS which requires 1080i in XDCam format. It is also going to DVD. Would I be better off capturing in 1080i or 720p. My HVX-200 cameras are native 720p but will also upconvert to 1080i.
5. Would it be better to get a Matrox MXO ($1000.00) to capture ProRes to each Mac Mini?

If anyone wishes to tackle this I would appreciate your thoughts.

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
Re: Multi camera capture ISO questions
on Nov 1, 2008 at 7:23:49 pm

Why not just rent p2 cards and be done with it and save some money?

Jeff

Return to posts index

David Perry
on Nov 2, 2008 at 6:46:16 pm

Well, I would need 45 - 32 gig P2 cards to do the job. How much does 45 cards rent for?

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

Jeff mack
on Nov 2, 2008 at 10:50:07 pm

I just googled this: http://www.p2cardrentals.com/p2-rental-rates.asp
Looks like 18 cards minus how ever many you own. Just a thought.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 3, 2008 at 9:00:31 pm

I'm not a big fan of 3-hour long capture to a QT file, if some thing goes wrong the entire file is gone.

If your cameras are all locked down I would rent firestores FS100 and capture 720p 24 with the FS set to 24PN (not the camera) and you get over 4 hours of continuous recording. The other option would be to rent P2 cards and shot 720p24pN and you just need (2) 32GB and (1) 16GB card per camera. All that can be rented for about $100-150/day/camera.

Edit the show in DVCProHD 720p23.98 and then with the IoHD cross-convert to whatever is needed. 1080i 29.97 to HDCAM.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Nov 3, 2008 at 8:59:27 pm

[Michael Sacci] "I'm not a big fan of 3-hour long capture to a QT file, if some thing goes wrong the entire file is gone. "

this is exactly what Gallery's PictureReady was created for.

captures into a continuous video stream, and if something crashes you only loose a couple of minutes

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows

Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Nov 3, 2008 at 10:54:26 pm

I remember seeing that (or something like that) at NAB a couple of years ago. Very expensive for a piece of software but in the end it might be worth it now that there are more ways to use it. Need to look into it again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]