FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convergent Design in front of io?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Going
Convergent Design in front of io?
on Oct 16, 2008 at 4:24:54 pm

Hi,

I've researched this forum for a couple hours now but could not find anything on this specific scenerio:

I'm working with the Sony AVR A1U hdv (for bulk and weight efficiency alongside my still photo arsenal on backcountry shoots) so my output option into the io is only component as there is no hdmi out on the A1U.

Will the quality level increase enough to pay for a Convergent Design HD-Connect SI to go out the A1U firewire, and into the io HD-SDI? Any issues known for going this route and using these two together?

Most of my footage arrives in various HD formats (that I rent decks for), but want to know the best way to ingest hdv from this camera into the io. The HD-Connect SI looks like the perfect solution...

Thank you for your feedback.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
Re: Convergent Design in front of io?
on Oct 16, 2008 at 5:47:48 pm

Hi Mark,

I chose a different product by Miranda http://www.miranda.com/product.php?i=337&l=1

It's a lot more than the convergent but I think the features are worth it and at the time I could afford it. It attaches to my camera and allows a full 4:2:2 pro res hq capture direct to my MBP and esata raid. I use it with my Z-1. I haven't done the tests you are looking for but the main thing is getting out of the long GOP. I love it though!

Jeff

Return to posts index

Mark Going
on Oct 16, 2008 at 5:58:26 pm

Thanks for the response Jeff.

I can already go component to HD-SDI using my io to lose the long GOP.

To clarify my question, I'm wondering how analog input using component will compare to keeping it all digital by putting the HD-Connect in the mix and using the firewire export instead of the component. Is it even worth the bother? Will I see any difference? I'm scared having another box in the lineup will just be asking for problems.

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Oct 16, 2008 at 6:05:30 pm

I see, good question. Like I said, I haven't ever done the comparison with mine. I bought mine for the ability to work hand held on stage with a self contained HD SDI (100 feet) with my Z-1.

Kind of like an audio preamp question - which one is better if any? I do not know. Sorry

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 16, 2008 at 7:00:59 pm

Just go component. There's no reason to go from firewire HDV to HDSDI.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Going
on Oct 16, 2008 at 7:18:17 pm

Thanks Jeremy. So nice to get confirmation on what I suspected was true.

Of all the tools at my disposal, these forums are right up there with the best of them.

I rarely post because I almost always find my answers in previous threads because of the time all of you moderators and knowledgable folks put in. Your good karma must be off the charts...Thank You!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]