FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do you need the IO to play footage captured with it?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Osiri Sioux
Do you need the IO to play footage captured with it?
on Oct 15, 2008 at 12:11:31 am

Okay, so this might be a really dumb question, but just to make sure...

If I had an IO HD for just a day to capture footage, I could still view and edit the footage with Final Cut Studio 2 but WITHOUT having the IO HD, correct?

I'd be using a MacBook Pro, so I understand that the hardware might not be the greatest for playback, but given that I'm willing to put up with slow performance, would it work?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
Re: Do you need the IO to play footage captured with it?
on Oct 15, 2008 at 6:12:31 pm

The IOHD is just a capture box. Once it's captured, you don't need it until/unless you need it for outputting.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Oct 16, 2008 at 11:01:38 pm

Just make sure you have sufficient hard drive capability; the internal drive nor a single SATA/FW800 drive will cut it, if you plan on capturing HD.

-mark

Return to posts index

Osiri Sioux
on Oct 16, 2008 at 11:05:21 pm

Thanks for the tip! Do you mean in terms of storage space? The AJA data rate calculator says I should be able to get 1 hour per 112 GB, meaning a 1 TB drive would store just under 9 hours. Does that sound about right?

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Oct 16, 2008 at 11:29:42 pm

No I mean data rate or throughput. My SD system I was using had G-RAID FW800 drives that could sustain a single stream of uncompressed 10bit SD video; Apple states that ProRes 422 is the same data rate as UC 10bit footage, but AJA will tell you (because I asked) that they do not recommend FW800 RAID systems when editing ProRes; so I went with the G-RAIDes, which is a 4-drive eSATA RAID system, which is plenty fast enough.

-mark

Return to posts index

Osiri Sioux
on Oct 17, 2008 at 12:04:12 am

Gotcha... So a single eSATA drive wouldn't cut it either? What kind of data rate specs should I be looking for? The G-RAID es is unfortunately out of my price range...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]