FORUMS: list search recent posts

Permanently setting black levels

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Tupperheim
Permanently setting black levels
on Oct 10, 2008 at 7:21:52 pm

Hey all,

I am using an AJA IO with a UVW-1800. I am still required to send out some TV spots via Beta SP and I was hoping there was a way set the IRE level to permanently output a 7.5 IRE level.

I am using FCP Studio 2, Mac OS 10.5.5, AJA IO with Blackburst coming into AJA Refernence and terminated as well as coming into UVW-1800 with 75 OHM on.

I hope this can be done within FCP and the AJA IO. The IO Controller is set to 7.5 IRE but the output is still showing some blacks below that level in our waveform/vectorscope monitor.

Thanks,
MT

Follow your dreams. You can achieve your goals; I'm living proof... BEEFCAKE!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Permanently setting black levels
on Oct 12, 2008 at 3:13:54 am

[Martin Tupperheim] "The IO Controller is set to 7.5 IRE but the output is still showing some blacks below that level in our waveform/vectorscope monitor. "

Is that an external scope? Are you scoping the output of the 1800 or FCP?

Return to posts index

Martin Tupperheim
on Oct 12, 2008 at 6:10:10 am

I use both the FCP scope and an external scope connected to the 1800. The problem is what I am seeing on the FCP scope doesn't match the external scope of the finished product when replayed on the 1800. I have a blackburst connected to all components. When I output something from my SD93 DVCPro50 deck, I never have this issue.

All I want to have happen is for both scopes to match so I don't have to worry about how these Beta tapes are going to look when I send them off to the various television stations across the country. Furthermore, the color bars produced from FCP are completely skewed too compared to what I am seeing from recorded bars on the tape.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Oct 13, 2008 at 12:35:34 am

Digital scopes and analog scopes should never match because you are adding setup to your output. FCP blacks should hit 0 but with the AJA control panel correctly set to 7.5 setup for analog it would hit 7.5. They would not match. Whereas going to a digital deck, no setup is added so they should match.

Why not put the scope on the video out from the AJA before it gets to the deck if you are trying to test the AJA signal.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 13, 2008 at 9:29:52 am

Exactly what Michael says. Uou can also put the scope after the deck so that you can see the output of the deck.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Tupperheim
on Oct 14, 2008 at 3:15:22 am

I am already doing that. I just thought the IO would automatically adjust the blacks to 7.5 but they don't and I just have to do that. I know how to set up a waveform monitor and have been monitoring the output of the deck and the IO. Yes, I've tried that (whatever "that" may be). That's why I am here... I know the difference between output of digital versus analog but I was hoping to save time by not having to go through and adjust black levels. I know it's easy to do in FCP by just nesting a sequence and adjusting the levels but, again, it's just an extra step I was wanting to avoid.

I will just keep doing what I am doing and living with these limitations. It's working with Beta and analog stuff that I hate... I thought I was done with it but alas it rears its ugly head again.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 14, 2008 at 3:32:04 am

Martin, I am misunderstanding. You are saying the io is not adding setup? FCPs scopes are not going to match your analog scopes. You are going to have to monitor the analog signal somewhere in the chain, which will be different from the digital signal in terms of setup. If the io is NOT adding setup, you might have a problem. The FCP scopes do not monitor the output of the io. Help me understand your discrepancy and why you think it should be different. You should not have to nest and adjust levels for setup. If you physically add the setup on FCP, you will essentially add setup twice.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Martin Tupperheim
on Oct 14, 2008 at 2:35:25 pm

Jeremy,

Here is my normal setup...

FCP to AJA IO via firewire. IO out via component to 1800. 1800 out to waveform/vectorscope monitor. WF/VS monitor to Sony broadcast monitor.

Alternatively, I have tried placing the WF/VS monitor between the IO and the 1800 to see the signal coming straight off the IO.

Regardless of the setup, what I am getting off FCP is blacks at zero and then by the time I record the finished spot to the 1800 the black levels are still below 7.5. I have to go into FCP and do the whole nesting thing to get the levels ready for broadcast. What I am seeing on the FCP scopes is close to what I am seeing on the WF/VS monitor but it is still not broadcast safe. Even the whites need to be tweaked a lot. I have the IO set up for IRE @ 7.5 but it isn't doing the trick so I have to adjust things in FCP to make it work. Sometimes it looks washed out a little but it makes it to broadcast and the tapes haven't been rejected thus far. I was just trying to figure out a way to save myself an extra step of having to nest the sequence and let the IO do the trick.

Perhaps I have a faulty IO. BTW, the IO and all related firmware and software are up to date.

MT

Return to posts index

Mark Beazley
on Oct 14, 2008 at 11:20:38 pm

Perhaps Analog output of the IO is not set to Beta but SMPTE?

-- which brings up another question that I have:

Whenever I switch out of FCP to the desktop, the IoHD reverts back to 720p even though I have burned the standalone mode to 525i29.97.

What gives?

-mark

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Oct 15, 2008 at 6:31:24 pm

I was going to say what Mark says, make sure your Component output is set to Beta and not SMPTE.

Mark, as far as the ioHD changing modes: The standalone mode is for when the ioHd is not connected to the computer. When it is connected to the computer, it will change modes. If you want to leave it in 525 mode, you must change it to 525 while the control panel is active. It will then stay there. If you have more questions about it, please start a new thread.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]