FORUMS: list search recent posts

Direct-From-Camera Recording Quality Questions

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Osiri Sioux
Direct-From-Camera Recording Quality Questions
on Oct 9, 2008 at 9:59:46 pm

Hi, all! I have a question about using the Kona IO HD to capture live from a P2 camera.

My questions are along the lines of the post "Advantages of IO HD for P2 Cameras" (http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/150/858901), but a little more specific.

This is for a green screen shoot so I want to get the highest quality possible, both in resolution and chroma subsampling.

My first question is about using the Panasonic HVX200 with the IO HD. If I took the component signal out *while filming live* (as opposed to playing back DVCPRO HD-compressed video from the P2 card files), would the camera be serving real 1920x1080 HD, or would it just be 1280x1080 DVCPRO HD up-converted?

A review on dv.com talks about using the Sony V1U: "We captured live via HDMI from a Sony HVR-V1U, which provided effectively uncompressed material, since the HDMI output is wired before the digital signal processor, which introduces the HDV compression to tape." Does the same thing happen with the HVX200 or does it compress the signal first?

My second question is, if I shot in 24p mode, would the IO HD be removing the pulldown live, would I have to remove the pulldown later, or would I have trouble removing the pulldown altogether?

Thanks!

Nick

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Direct-From-Camera Recording Quality Questions
on Oct 10, 2008 at 2:11:07 am

[Osiri Sioux] "would the camera be serving real 1920x1080 HD"

Yes, but understand from that camera, it does not have 1920x1080 native chips. The image is pixel shifted to get to 1080.

[Osiri Sioux] "does it compress the signal first? "

No. You will get an uncompressed signal.

[Osiri Sioux] "My second question is, if I shot in 24p mode, would the IO HD be removing the pulldown live, would I have to remove the pulldown later, or would I have trouble removing the pulldown altogether? "

Shooting at 24p in 1080 you would have to remove pulldown. Compressor has a rev telecine option that works very well and you could batch the whole shoot.

-----------
Dual Quad core 3.0Ghz <> 16GB RAM <> FCP 6.0.3 <> Kona 3
Sonnet D800RAID, 8TB
OS 10.5.2 <> QT 7.4.5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]