FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aja Io hd and xl-h1

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrea de Paula
Aja Io hd and xl-h1
on Oct 2, 2008 at 3:30:44 pm

Hi. I am about to record a concert with 4 cameras. One of them is a XL-H1 and we are planning to capture the footage with aja io hd. The cameras will shoot at 24F. When we connect aja io hd to the XL-H1, aja doesn't read 23.98 nor 24p. It reads 29.97i - is that correct? What's the best workflow to capture the footage and deliver it in true 24p?
Thanks a lot.

- Andrea

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Aja Io hd and xl-h1
on Oct 2, 2008 at 4:02:10 pm

I do not think the XL-H1 outputs a 23.98 signal only 60i (24psf with pulldown). You have to capture 1080i. This is a limiation of the camera.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jesus Ali
on Oct 4, 2008 at 9:47:51 am

Andrea, what connectors are you using to connect the XL-H1?

We have the same camera, but I haven't played capturing 24p with the IoHD.

Jeremy is right, the XL-H1's 24F (note the "F", not a "p") mode is based on video tape pulldown patterns, and on top of that, it is a proprietary method. Tapes recorded in 24F on this camera won't play in anything except the newest Sony HDV deck or a Canon HV10 or HV20.

If you were playing back the TAPE from the camera I agree completely with Jeremy's advice.

But shooting live, I wonder if the 24F is even applied to the output signal. I know that the signal is output from the HD-SDI port BEFORE HDV compression is applied, so I wonder if the pull down hints (which are used specifically for recording to tape) are even included in the output HD-SDI signal.

Does anyone know about this specifically?

Return to posts index

Andrea de Paula
on Oct 4, 2008 at 2:43:16 pm

Hi Jesus!

Here is the answer I got from Aja:

Andrea:
The XLH-1 will always output 29.97 via the HD-SDI output.
The IOHD is auto detecting the correct format. There is now way around this if you capture with the IOHD. You will have to use 29.97
The only way to output 24 frame out of that camera is via Firewire.

Regards,
Gerald

Gerald Kaczorowski
AJA Video Technical Support

So, the 24F signal is applied just to the tape.

- Andrea

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]