FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Help Fast - Downconverting through AJA

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Rivard
Need Help Fast - Downconverting through AJA
on Sep 30, 2008 at 7:26:42 pm

Hello All,

A client dropped off a hard drive with a film that he had produced, neglecting to mention that it was in HD. He's sending it off to a film fest and they don't appear to accept HD materials.

I'm a little new with a lot of the HD/Downconverting concepts, but I have the AJA IOHD and it looks like I can downconvert in real time as I play the video from the timeline. Is this true and does anyone know the settings?

The video was shot/edited in 1080/60i and I'm using FCP 6 to play it back in NTSC to our Beta Deck or to a MiniDV.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan

PS. Of course the drive got dropped off today and they need the video to be sent out by tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Need Help Fast - Downconverting through AJA
on Sep 30, 2008 at 8:56:22 pm

It's very easy.

Put FCP in the correct HD easy setup. In your case, hit control-q and choose aja ioHD 1080i29.97 ProResHQ (or whatever codec was used, choose dvcpro HD if you used DVCPro HD).

Then open the control panel and right click (or control click if you don't have a 2 button mouse) the appropriate output (SDI or analog depending on your deck). Choose 'secondary' from the drop down menu. Then right click again on the same output and choose 525i29.97. You should now see a little down-convert icon on the line between the frame buffer and the output of your choosing. Your SD deck should now be happy.

Be sure to check the Format tab and set the 'Down' option to Letterbox, Crop (center cut) or anamorphic depending on how the film festival needs it.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Ryan Rivard
on Sep 30, 2008 at 9:16:23 pm

Thanks! That worked like a charm. Like I said, I'm still getting used to the High Definition technology. Our company hasn't really done too much with HD yet, but we're in the process of learning everything.

Ryan

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2008 at 9:17:59 pm

Write back with any questions.

Glad you're up and running.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]