FORUMS: list search recent posts

Uncompressed 1080 30F/ Canon XL-H1, HD SDI output ?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marlon Diaz
Uncompressed 1080 30F/ Canon XL-H1, HD SDI output ?
on Sep 16, 2008 at 8:09:58 pm

Creative Cow Members: During my weekend I had the honor to run a video production shoot for a live disco concert with the actual hit performers from the 70's. I shot it with 4 Canon XL-H1 and 1 Canon XH-A1 in HD 1080/30F to tape (20 tapes total) . Now I'm ready to start my post-production and I want to capture my HD footage uncompressed at 1080 / 30F, 4:2:2, through HD SDI. I also need to clone my master tapes for my client.

I have a Powermac G5, 6 gigs of memory, lots of hard drive space, 30 inch cinema display monitor with Apple Final Cut Studio 2, Apple Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, Sorenson squeeze 4.5, and After Effects.

Will the following rental equipment do the job?
1 - Panasonic AJ-HD1400 DVCPRO HD VTR
2 - AJA Io HD or the Matrox MXO2 complete I/O
3 - Panasonic BT-LH1700 or the Panasonic TH-50PF10UK

Also some tips and advise on outputting my final render from FCP in True HD to Compressor/or Squeeze for a 15-20 minute highlight DVD from the 4-hour concert (this is the actual final product I'm handling over to my client).

Let me know of some advise or alternatives. Thank you in advance.

-Marlon

Miami, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Uncompressed 1080 30F/ Canon XL-H1, HD SDI output ?
on Sep 16, 2008 at 10:36:31 pm

[Marlon Diaz] "Will the following rental equipment do the job? "

Unfortunately, no.

1) That deck is a DVCPro HD deck that sources tapes from Panasonic DVCPro HD camera. You have HDV tapes from a Canon camera so you will need an HDV deck that will play back Canon HDV.

2) In order to work in ProRes or ProRes HQ you need an intel machine. Your G5 cannot process ProRes fast enough to handle HD codecing in ProRes. You can get a Kona LH or Kona 3X card for that machine and work in uncompressed, but you are probably going to want to 'offline' that much footage in the DVCPro HD codec. Also, what kind of hard drives do you have? Uncompressed 1080 material needs some serious speed.

3) Once you have a system that is fast enough, these monitors will do fine for monitoring and get you close for color correcting, but there are better ones, such as the TV Logic series or Cinetal monitors.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Marlon Diaz
on Sep 17, 2008 at 11:12:53 pm

Jeremy: I checked the AJA IO HD website for the system requirements and they state Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz (M9592LL/A), 2GB or more system RAM

for hard drives i have a new empty seagate 1TB barracuda internal drive in slot 2 and a few 750GB external seagate drives.

for system RAM: 6.5GB

-Marlon Diaz

Miami, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 18, 2008 at 12:18:58 am

It's the very bare minimum, and it MIGHT work.

Apple says you need a MacPro to capture ProRes, especially 1080i.

Do you have a Quad? You didn't say. Also, you are going to need faster drives. I would recommend doing an offline in DV, then reconform to HD at the very end.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jan Crittenden Livingston
on Sep 17, 2008 at 10:22:48 am

The AJ-HD1400 will not play HDV recordings so if you shot it in HDV, your best plan might be to use your camcorder to play out the footage in HDSDI.

Hopr that helps,

Jan

Jan Crittenden Livingston
Product Manager, HPX500, HVX200, DVX100
Panasonic Broadcast & TV Systems

Return to posts index

Marlon Diaz
on Sep 17, 2008 at 11:03:34 pm

Will the Sony HVR-M10U 1080i HDV Recorder work? I know it's not HD/SDI but it has composite i/o. I can't find a HDV VTR with HD/SDI for 1080/30f (29.97) rental in the Miami area, If anyone knows of a place, plz let me know.

quick question: Can capture be uncompressed 1080/30f with the 4:2:2 color space from mini DV tapes? I have a total of 20 tapes, 16 shot on the Canon XL-H1, and 4 from the Canon XH-A1. How much resolution will the image lose if captured with a DVCPRO HD codec?

I'm trying to find the best and afforable solution to capture all my master tapes to FCP and clone the tapes.

-Marlon Diaz

Miami, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Sep 17, 2008 at 11:17:06 pm

You can capture HD just fine via HD Component with the IoHD.

Why in the world are you even thinking about Uncompressed HD coming from HDV, total over kill and if you have 20 hours of footage you are looking at over 10 TB of drive space. And space is not your biggest problem but there is no way you are going to pull 5 streams of Uncompressed HD without a major RAID system, and I mean major.

And as stated before unless you are upgrading to a MacPro DVCProHD is the way you should go. It is more compressed than ProRes but smaller file size but still a step up from HDV.

Return to posts index

Marlon Diaz
on Sep 18, 2008 at 1:27:32 am

Michael: DVCPRO HD is an alternative im looking at going with because of the drive space I'll end up needing. I dont have a XL-H1 camera. So im still looking for a VTR for rental for the mini DV tapes I have recorded at 1080i/30F.

I have never dealed with DVCPRO HD codecs before. So my question here now is, How would I start this procedure from the mini DV tapes, to importing and output with DVCPRO HD from FCP to Compressor or Sorenson Squeeze?

After this project, I'm buying the new MacPro hooked up with all the extra goodies including a raid system. This was my first live concert coverage and I was trying to keep my client's budget down while being able to shoot in HD. My Final DVD is only going to be a 10-15 minutes DVD highlight presentation of the overall concert (more like 10 minutes).

I still got some budget money to rent a few post-production equipment like a VTR, monitor, AJA io HD, tapes to clone the master Mini DV tapes, but I'm still in my research mode before spending the next dollar...

Miami, FL

Return to posts index

Marlon Diaz
Canon XLH1, HDV 1080/30F to DVCPRO HD in FCP?
on Sep 19, 2008 at 8:54:06 pm

ok so here is what i have done so far. im renting today a canon XL-H1 camera to use as a VTR over the weekend. I couldn't find a VTR to playback the mini DV tapes i have in 1080/30F. My question here now is: to convert the 1080i/30F footage to DVCPRO HD, can I do this in FCP? or do i need a MXO2 or AJA to make this happen?

my editing system is a Powermac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz, 6.5 Gigs of memory RAM.
Final Cut Studio 2, FCP version 6.02.

Miami, FL

Return to posts index

Jack Dogood
Re: Canon XLH1, HDV 1080/30F to DVCPRO HD in FCP?
on Dec 9, 2009 at 9:25:00 pm

They many way's of doing direct to uncompressed HD SDI from camera do disk, what we find out works the best in field and road, with ability to preview and playback footage during recording was the 9000VTR, very simple jug shuttle and TCP/IP interface, we were able to lunch there interface on iPhone.

Current 9000VTR User

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]