FORUMS: list search recent posts

422 ProRes vs HQ vs uncomprressed video

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Perry
422 ProRes vs HQ vs uncomprressed video
on Sep 15, 2008 at 1:07:11 pm

I was looking at a live feed from my HVX200 cameras Analog Component HD out of the head of the cameras through my switcher which converts to HD SDI into my AJA IOHD, and then compared it to the 422ProRes captured files. There is a marked difference between the two. The Pro Res is great but not the quality of the live feed. Is there a way to capture the same quality of the live feed through the AJA IOHD? Do I need to go to a Kona 3 and capture uncompressed? What do networks do to capture all of their footage, not ENG stuff but High Def programming?

Thanks,

David Perry

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: 422 ProRes vs HQ vs uncomprressed video
on Sep 16, 2008 at 7:35:33 am

[David Perry] "I was looking at a live feed from my HVX200 cameras Analog Component HD out of the head of the cameras through my switcher which converts to HD SDI into my AJA IOHD, and then compared it to the 422ProRes captured files. There is a marked difference between the two. The Pro Res is great but not the quality of the live feed. "

My guess is you are not looking at your prores version on a intel machine without proper configuration.

Viewing ProRes on anything other than an intel machine will NOT give you more than 1/4 of the actual rez - this is because of the scalar nature of the codec.

and why can't your switcher be an issue?

Plug the HVX200 directly into the IoHD and then try your same test on a fully configured intel desktop,

Its good enough that places like Laser Pacific (Kodak's Facility in hollywood) that ProRes was every bit as good as 10bit UC footage.

My tests with HVX , HPX 3000 in AvC Intra, Varicam , Xdcam disc , EX, all show that there was No loss of quality when working with prores live capture vs the native camera codecs.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

David Perry
Re: 422 ProRes vs HQ vs uncomprressed video
on Oct 28, 2008 at 8:24:03 pm

Thank you Gary,

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I have been off the forum for awhile. I guess my question was not clear. It is not so much the difference between ProResHQ and uncompressed as Live vs. either codec.

I do have an Intel Mac Pro and the picture I am looking at live from my switcher is uncompressed, unrecorded HD and beautiful. However, just like an audio signal recorded is not the same as a live signal I was interested in getting as close as possible to a live signal. I just did not know if there were any benefit to recording in uncompressed video and, I guess there is not.

Thank you for your time.

David Perry
Carmen Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]