FORUMS: list search recent posts

will the AJA ioHD fill the gap?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hilleke Doevendans
will the AJA ioHD fill the gap?
on Sep 12, 2008 at 2:40:47 pm

I'm looking for some advice on whether the ioHD will fill the gap we currently have.
We've recently purchased 2 new MacPro's running Final Cut Studio, which are mainly used for re-versioning and DVD authoring, all SD but possibly moving up to HD in the distant future. Our old FCP suite has a Kona board and we've been outputting through this system, but are now looking for something a bit more practical, yet still cost effective!

I'm a newbie to FCP/AJA so please bare with me! I've read so much info now, it's all getting a bit confusing.

My questions are:
1. Will the ioHD do everything we need? Which is: input from tape (through SDI), connect to a monitor (both pro and consumer but SD), output to tape?
2. Can you just connect it to the MacPro through FW and go? i.e. do you need to install anything, drivers, or video cards, or anything else that doesn't come with it or requires getting out a screwdriver?
3. Is it suited to being used between different suites?
4. Is there a better/cheaper option out there? Keeping in mind, we'd like something portable/able to be used in multiple suites and we do not require HD.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

2.5GHz PowerPC G5 | Mac OS X (10.3.9) | 4.5Gb DDR SDRAM

Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 | DVD Studio Pro 3.0.2 | Compressor 1.2.1

Adobe Photoshop CS | Adobe After Effects 6.5

-------------------------------
Mac Pro: Two 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon | 4GB RAM | ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512MB (2 x dual-link DVI)

Studio 2 | Adobe Photoshop CS | Adobe After Effects 6.5

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: will the AJA ioHD fill the gap?
on Sep 12, 2008 at 5:01:58 pm

1) The ioHD will do every you need in ProRes in HD and all flavors of SD (including uncompressed). The ioHD will not do uncompressed or 4:4:4 HD, or anything above a 1080 geometry

2) You need to install the latest drivers and firmware which are located at aja.com

3) Yes. For ProRes in HD, you need an intel machine.

4) In my eyes? No. You cannot go wrong with AJA products. With portability being a high point for you, the ioHD is a solid choice.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Carsten Orlt
on Sep 12, 2008 at 8:16:18 pm

everything Jeremy said plus: If you only need SD have a look at the io range. There are 3 models only doing SD that are cheaper then the ioHD.

Carsten

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 13, 2008 at 4:59:22 am

[Hilleke Doevendans] "
2.5GHz PowerPC G5 | Mac OS X (10.3.9) | 4.5Gb DDR SDRAM
Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 | DVD Studio Pro 3.0.2 | Compressor 1.2.1
Adobe Photoshop CS | Adobe After Effects 6.5
"

FCP 4.5 is not compatible with the IoHD - you will need FCS2 or later to even be able to use.

as Jeremy said " Intel mac required for capture"

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]