IoHD and JVC BR-HD50 using HDMI
on Sep 10, 2008 at 3:59:09 pm

Hi everyone -

Having a few problems getting our new gear up and going. Here's what we have:

(two of each for two edit stations)
8 Core Mac Pro, 16 GB RAM
Internal storage - 4, 750 GB drives
AJA IoHD - Latest firmware and V6 software
JVC BR-HD50 deck - Latest firmware updates, hooked into IoHD via HDMI out, and RS-422 control.
JVC DT-V17L2DU monitor - Hooked to IoHD via HD-SDI
FCS 2 (FCP 6.0.4)
QT 7.5.5
JVC GY-HD250 camera recording at 720p60

Scenerio: When playing back a tape in the JVC Deck through the IoHD, we're seeing a problem with the video lock when we stop the deck. In other words...
Turn on IoHD and JVC Deck.
Open IoHD control panel to see what's happening.
HDMI input says No Video
Hit Play on the Deck.
HDMI Input in control panel says 720p59.94 and video sync light on IoHD is lit.
Hit stop on deck, this is where problems start.
One of two things happen: Either video sync light rapidly/randomly flashes and the IoHD control panel flashes between No Video and 720p59.94, OR the video sync light goes out totally and No Video is displayed in the IoHD Control Panel.

This doesn't become a problem until I actually try to Batch Capture in FCP. After I've logged my clips, (logging goes fine because once the sync in there is won't drop out...) and click Batch, it will rewind, start the process, and if it gets to a spot where it actually has to disengage play mode to quick fast forward (in other words just like hitting stop on the deck) it will lose video sync (but keep deck control because thats 422) and when it gets to the next part of the tape, it may or may not "find" that sync lock in time, and if it doesn't FCP says the digitize can't continue due to lack of video signal. Closing and reopening Log and Capture fixes it. It's just like once it loses that sync, it can't find it again in time.

I called AJA yesterday, and they mentioned there was some problem with the HDMI output on that JVC Deck model.... Said it uses a DVI signal instead of a true HDMI signal, so with the last release of the software (v6) AJA had to rewrite some code to make it work right. He thought there still may be something wrong with my AJA box, even though I have the latest software. So, he had me try a "factory reset" with the little paperclip trick, and I was going to let him know if that helped. So I've done that, and I'm still having the same problem. I'll call him back later.

So, my question is, has anyone else experienced this same behavior with this IoHD?

TIA.

Carl Sundermann

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: IoHD and JVC BR-HD50 using HDMI
on Sep 10, 2008 at 4:31:04 pm

What about component?

Return to posts index

Carl Sundermann
on Sep 11, 2008 at 1:41:06 pm

Component works like a champ. So it's definitely a problem with the HDMI interacting with this deck. (or the HDMI on the deck interacting with the IoHD... However you want to look at it.)

But, I don't want to use component.

1) It's analog. This thing is supposed to support a digital format (HDMI) so I want to use it for what the box says it will do, not some work around.
2) If I use component for injest, I've lost the ability to monitor my deck via a separate input on the monitor.

Speaking with AJA yesterday, they did agree to send out a new unit. That should be arriving today, and I'll try HDMI via that. However, I'm not hopeful, because our other edit station is experiencing similar issues. Seems like HDMI between the JVC and IoHD is buggy...

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:00:42 pm

I would suspect the deck in not outputting a stable singal that the ioHD can lock to. There's no reference on that deck, right?

Return to posts index

Carl Sundermann
on Sep 11, 2008 at 2:14:59 pm

Jeremy, that is correct.

And, your statement actually resembles what the guy from AJA told me on the phone... Basically he said that they have had problems with that model of JVC deck because that deck does not output a true HDMI signal, it's actually a DVI signal sent via HDMI. With version 6, he said they supposedly had 'loosened' the code so that it would accept the signal from the JVC deck. And that's true, it does accept it, but it won't lock on when there is no video being sent.

So... I'm sure the heart of the problem is indeed in the deck... And, that is really unfortunate for us because we have two of these now. How was I supposed to know this before I purchased them? I mean, I guess if the specs for the deck say HDMI out, and the AJA says HDMI in, one would think they would play nice together...

We'll see if the new AJA box makes a difference, though I doubt it...

ALSO of note... When using the HDMI, there is a green line that appears on the top one or two pixels of the image. This does not appear when using component.

Bugggggyyyyy.....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 11, 2008 at 3:59:15 pm

[Carl Sundermann] "Basically he said that they have had problems with that model of JVC deck because that deck does not output a true HDMI signal, it's actually a DVI signal sent via HDMI. With version 6, he said they supposedly had 'loosened' the code so that it would accept the signal from the JVC deck. And that's true, it does accept it, but it won't lock on when there is no video being sent. "

Ouch.

[Carl Sundermann] "When using the HDMI, there is a green line that appears on the top one or two pixels of the image. This does not appear when using component.

Bugggggyyyyy....."

Yeah, it seems that HDMI connection on the deck isn't quite tuned for 'pro' performance as of yet.

FWIW, analog can be fine and dandy, especially in HD and especially to get a stable signal.

Return to posts index

Bobby MV
on Sep 26, 2008 at 3:37:34 pm

We jsut got our ioHD the other day, and i we too also own two BR-HD50 JVC decks. I am about to capture a long-format dvcam tape through the JVC deck and just noticed this post. I'll give it a go, but i agree with you about the component. The main reason I dont wanna go analog is because I hate having to make sure my audio levels are set correctly. With HDMI everything is transferred digitally and i dont have to worry about running a bunch of audio cables in and out of the unit.

We also own a convergent design HDMI-HDSDI converter, so I will also test to see how that goes as well.

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

"once you go mac, you never go back"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 26, 2008 at 3:45:53 pm

[Bobby MV] "The main reason I dont wanna go analog is because I hate having to make sure my audio levels are set correctly."

Well, if the audio levels are too low digitally, you'll have to bring them up in FCP anyway. It's either do it once in the beginning or so it for every clip in the NLE.

I stand by my earlier comment to go analog. It'll take the silliness out of the weird HDMI signal that the JVC deck seems to send (or not send).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Bobby MV
on Sep 26, 2008 at 4:33:45 pm

I just did a batch capture test using the JVC BR-HD50 using hdmi and RS422 and it seemed to work fine. Granted, this was off a 184 min DVCAM tape, but When i get the chance I will test it out with some 720p footage.

But it did batch capture and plays back fine! Although there is still that green line to the left of the video which is absolutely unacceptable, especially since this footage I am capturing is from a conference where they had powerpoint presentations that go outside of the title safe areas requiring me to scale down the video making that green line visible... i'll probably just crop/mask it out, but it still annoying.

One cable in for digital audio and video that isn't expensive HDSDI! I love it.

BTW, if i wanted to capture some HD footage from say, a miniHDV sony consumer camcorder through HDMI, how would i get deck control to FCP? do i need to have an additional FW PCI-e card since the FW system bus is funny consumed by the IO?

Bobby Mosaedi
Magic Video, Inc.

"once you go mac, you never go back"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]