FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Io HD with only a FW400 port?

COW Forums : AJA Video Systems

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Brockett
Using Io HD with only a FW400 port?
on Sep 1, 2008 at 4:33:10 pm

Hi, I have a first generation Macbook pro 2.16ghz intel core duo. I have the IO hd plugged into my 'only' FW400 port (no 800 port) with the cable that came with the box (FW800 connector on the Io to a computer FW400 end) I have media coming in on an external esata raid which playsback DVCPRO HD fine - so just wondering as I can't find any info on this - will the firewire 400 cope with HD playback? in DVCPRO 50 or in ProRess HQ seems to but confused with the fact its aimed at FW800 use ?

So would like to know the limits of using it connected to my macbook with my one fw400 port instead of a FW800 that most people have.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: Using Io HD with only a FW400 port?
on Sep 1, 2008 at 9:52:06 pm

I have the same MBP speed but with FW800 also. I'm having a lot of issues with the IoHD and ProRes on this system. One thing is that the system is below spec. So I don't know if that is an issue.

But in theory FW400 should be fine. The old Io only had FW400 and it was able to handle Uncompressed SD which is larger than ProRes HD. But you are getting dangerously close to the limit.

The one thing (That I does really understand) is the IoHD is not feeding the same thing as a video stream and it uses the FW bandwidth in a different way then a deck or HD.

In the end if it works for you it works, just be caution in mission critical situations.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 2, 2008 at 1:07:47 am

[Michael Sacci] "I'm having a lot of issues with the IoHD and ProRes on this system. One thing is that the system is below spec. So I don't know if that is an issue."
what part of " below" the minimum hardware spec has ever bode good things?

"in theory FW400 should be fine"

FW 400 is fine, since the processing is being done in the IoHD.

" is the IoHD is not feeding the same thing as a video stream and it uses the FW bandwidth in a different way then a deck or HD."

Remember that FW is a data only transfer protocol, it is not moving what is considered "video" in any way shape or form. The manner in which that data is being decoded that is vastly more important, not how that data is moved from point to point.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Post and Production Workflows
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Joel Brockett
on Sep 3, 2008 at 11:40:17 am

So to clarify because the IO HD uses the FW cable as a data streaming cable - there is no need / requirement ever to use FW800 - Yes? The limiting factor is then always CPU or HD read/write etc.

Thanks, find it strange then that AJA advertise it as FW800 when all other posts clearly say you can only have the IOHD box connected to your FW bus and no other external HD's etc.

Thanks

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 3, 2008 at 12:45:47 pm

[Joel Brockett] "ecause the IO HD uses the FW cable as a data streaming cable - there is no need / requirement ever to use FW800"

That is not what I said,

yes there are a couple of reasons for FW 800; better latency response than Fw400 or on a desktop system that is powerful enough to process the uncompressed video file playback via the IoHD are 2 examples off the top of my head.

"find it strange then that AJA advertise it as FW800 when all other posts clearly say you can only have the IOHD box connected to your FW bus and no other external HD's etc. "

Why? So you do not consider the differences between a "dumb" harddrive on a FW chain and basically a stand alone computer that is dynamically attached to your edit system.

Drives are dumb devices, they do not work or function without being attached to a computer. The IoHD on the other hand can and does function without being tethered to a computer and it is that "smart" functionality that necessitates then need for taking over the entire FW buss. Blame apple for not separating the FW buss structure -keeping both 400 and 800 on one buss limits any thing you can add to that bus.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

Joel Brockett
on Sep 3, 2008 at 1:43:13 pm

>>"or on a desktop system that is powerful enough to process the uncompressed video file playback via the IoHD are 2 examples off the top of my head."

Okay I'm confused, but this is exactly what I'm trying to get at. What are the limits with the IOhd connecting with a FW400

For example if I'm working in the field can I expect the FW400 to cope with ProRes + ProRes HQ playback of HD media as long as the Hard Drive + laptop allows full quality playback etc.
But what about uncompressed HD / DVCPRO HD codec media (HD + machine capable of playback but connecting to IOHD with FW400)

Hope I'm being clear, I want to understand that if you have a fastest enough raid system and the media in FCP sequence doesn't need rendering to playback in full quality what will the IOhd work with by just using the FW400 and what would it definitely need a FW800 connection for.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Sep 3, 2008 at 2:33:39 pm

[Joel Brockett] "What are the limits with the IOhd connecting with a FW400"

the issue with your setup is NOT the FW 400 connection, but the lack of power in the laptop as configured.

The laptop listed in the first post does not have enough power to playback DVCPROHD format file while converting them to ProRes to feed the ioHD in real time. The IoHD processes only ProRes files- so anything that is not ProRes will need to be converted to ProRes for playback, it is the nature of this beast.

The laptop listed will only be able to handle the most basic of capture and playback. This restriction is due the lack of processing power and available ram installed in your system config not the FW 400 port.

gary adcock
Studio37
HD & Film Consultation
Inside look at the IoHD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]